Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really Regret Leaving Australia

Options
  • 30-07-2012 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭

Thought I was homesick after being there 10 months, So came home biggest mistake of my life, nothing has changed back here, still boring as hell with no work, so people if ye feel homesick take my advice and stick out the 12 months

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Can ya not come back out sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Or do one better like some of us @Pazzies n say here for good . Go back n visit the old sod that's enough for me .

• Registered Users Posts: 1 a man of regret

If i was asked whether I regret leaving Australia, I'll be the loudest to say 'Yes, I do!'
    Lived there for 16 years, when I was 17, then my mistake caused me not being unable to live there again. I had to runaway, basically.
    I regret a lot of things, what I did in the past. Now what can I do? I have to stay here in a country I have not been familiar for 16 years.
    I wish I did not do what I did before.
    But, I do miss everything about Australia now. The lifestyle, the people, the coffee, the supermarkets, the autumn, the parks, the air, even the trains, which I did mock before along with other people, but now I do appreciate them being in a country where the public transport is totally horrible.
    I miss spending saturday with my family just strolling along the city of Sydney, Pyrmont area, Darling Harbour, and driving my BMW off Harbour Bridge. They're all now history.
    Do I lose any hope, though? NO! I still hope, not wish, that I find a way to go back there and live happily ever after. Amen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

If i was asked whether I regret leaving Australia, I'll be the loudest to say 'Yes, I do!'
    Lived there for 16 years, when I was 17, then my mistake caused me not being unable to live there again. I had to runaway, basically.
    I regret a lot of things, what I did in the past. Now what can I do? I have to stay here in a country I have not been familiar for 16 years.
    I wish I did not do what I did before.
    But, I do miss everything about Australia now. The lifestyle, the people, the coffee, the supermarkets, the autumn, the parks, the air, even the trains, which I did mock before along with other people, but now I do appreciate them being in a country where the public transport is totally horrible.
    I miss spending saturday with my family just strolling along the city of Sydney, Pyrmont area, Darling Harbour, and driving my BMW off Harbour Bridge. They're all now history.
    Do I lose any hope, though? NO! I still hope, not wish, that I find a way to go back there and live happily ever after. Amen.
    Dude what did you do?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

astonaidan wrote: »
    Thought I was homesick after being there 10 months, So came home biggest mistake of my life, nothing has changed back here, still boring as hell with no work, so people if ye feel homesick take my advice and stick out the 12 months

From reading what you posted on here it sounded like your housing arrangement was a bit tricky which will be tough no matter were you are.

I spent a year in NZ which was roughly divided up into 6 months in Wellington, 4 months in Chch, 1 in Dunedin, and 1 travelling. The 6 months in Wellington were the most stable as I was living in a nice house with good people which really was....well nice! Everywhere else I was staying in hostels or sleeping on friends floors which while was needed can also get you down, especially long term in hostels I think. So when the year was up I was happy to come home even though after the 6 months in Wellington I was thinking to see if I could stay long term (the NZ Army were recruiting Engineering staff which would have been right up my street).

Remember though once you get home you do get the blues for a bit. Everyone gets them. The initial day or two is great but after that it can be tough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭podgie.

I have to stay here in a country I have not been familiar for 16 years.

Unless you killed someone, After 16 years living outside off OZ, Statute of limitations has expired .. >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statute_of_limitations#Expiry , this means there is no reason why you can't return to OZ as you can't be arrested or brought to court.

***Seek legal advice from a OZ lawyer just to be sure***

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

The Australian Government deported a 47 year old who moved there when he was 6 years of age with his family, so running away just made their job easier, no court case or Deportation hearings, no international attention, no professional protesters showing due consternation, so depending on what "Mistake" A Man Of Deep Deep Regret did he might never see the place again, i take it you did not become a Australian Citizen???, BTW it must have been a ripper of a "Mistake" that caused others harm if your still in hiding.

"A British-born man who's lived in Australia for 41 years is set to be deported after his visa was cancelled because of a long criminal record.
    A spokesman for the Department of Immigration said that in deciding to deport Clifford Tucker, 47, it had considered the length of time he had been in Australia, his links to the community plus his character and criminal history.
    He said the Australian government took very seriously its role in protecting the Australia"

"Mr Kenny said the law needed to be changed to ensure those who were effectively Australian citizens could not be deported."

www.smh.com.au/national/uk-man-to-be-deported-after-41-years-20110416-1dimm.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Sorry am i missing something? He told us what he did.
    I miss spending saturday with my family, and driving my BMW off Harbour Bridge. They're all now history.

Well, i dont think that one would fall under any Statute of limitations, hope it was not a 5 Series or a M-Tec, the shame of it all a BMW of all things.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Conmc88

Hey guys.

Im back six months now and all I want to go is go back out to australia.

Any advice I didnt do my 3 months work and I dont have a sponsor.

How can I get back out???

Any advice

• Advertisement

Conmc88 wrote: »
    Any advice I didnt do my 3 months work and I dont have a sponsor.

How can I get back out???

What do you do for a job???
    Do you have any relatives over there???

Not doing the 3 months makes it fairly hard to be honest.

You see I acquired a really good job with a mining supplier so they asked me not to leave for the 3 months but issues at home made me come home and my employers wernt happy so they said they would re employ me but i have to get back over myself as they have never sponsored any one befor

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

Conmc88 wrote: »
    You see I acquired a really good job with a mining supplier so they asked me not to leave for the 3 months but issues at home made me come home and my employers wernt happy so they said they would re employ me but i have to get back over myself as they have never sponsored any one befor

where were you based, if outside of the main cities then you may have your 3 mths done:eek:

Rockingham south Perth

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭podgie.

postcode for Rockingham is 6168, it not classed as a regional postcode. sorry,

So do I have any other option counting a second year visa out and excluding a sponsorship or would they have been my only options

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stephenmario

I'm just home a week, happy to be home at the moment, tbh a lot has changed since I left, theres not nearly as much doom and gloom as there was.

Yes, not to much talk about doom and gloom, all the talk is about how much of a non event the whole of summer has been so far :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Personally I dont get all the fuss about Australia, having been there for over a year and a half i was glad to head back westwards again.

I do love beaches, surf, beer, and camping...but you have all that and more in Europe along with so much culture..
    Constant excessive heat is overated, especially being of celtic origin.
    i'd advise anyone thinking of heading down under to consider mainland Europe, the labour laws tend to be better, meaning a better work/life balance, also a more liberal society. The fact that its a close proximity to Ireland is another benefit, les than 2 hours and your home ;)

• Advertisement

There is a language barrier in Europe that doesn't exist in Australia though.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    There is a language barrier in Europe that doesn't exist in Australia though.

yes correct, but for the sake of a year studying German, French etc, would give good basic handle on the language.

lufties wrote: »
    yes correct, but for the sake of a year studying German, French etc, would give good basic handle on the language.

Even 6 months 2-3 nights a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Couch Potatoette

I came back a couple of months ago. After spending an entire year trying to convince everyone that I met that Ireland isn't as bad as made out, I realized when I got home that it was only myself I was fooling. Doom, gloom and constant rain. I'd love to go back out but I'm drawn to Ireland because of friends and family. If only we could all join together and push Ireland down there!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭whatever73

Got confirmation yesterday that my green card for the States has been granted and I'm outta here

Any advice on what visa I can get if I cant get a second year visa or sponsorship

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

lufties wrote: »
    Personally I dont get all the fuss about Australia, having been there for over a year and a half i was glad to head back westwards again.

I do love beaches, surf, beer, and camping...but you have all that and more in Europe along with so much culture..
    Constant excessive heat is overated, especially being of celtic origin.
    i'd advise anyone thinking of heading down under to consider mainland Europe, the labour laws tend to be better, meaning a better work/life balance, also a more liberal society. The fact that its a close proximity to Ireland is another benefit, les than 2 hours and your home ;)

Yeh but the thing about mainland Europe is that eveyone doesnt speak English and you can't pick up a start up salary of $70k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Exactly:) I started here on $35 an hour on a WHV,didnt complain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Yeh but the thing about mainland Europe is that eveyone doesnt speak English and you can't pick up a start up salary of $70k

It's all relative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

seachto7 wrote: »
    It's all relative.

Its not all relative if you are sending money home or saving to bring money home when you go back.

Advertisement