Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really Regret Leaving Australia

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Yeh but the thing about mainland Europe is that eveyone doesnt speak English and you can't pick up a start up salary of $70k
    zweton wrote: »
    Exactly:) I started here on $35 an hour on a WHV,didnt complain!

what jobs were you doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

Yeh but the thing about mainland Europe is that eveyone doesnt speak English and you can't pick up a start up salary of $70k

Iam on roughly about 75k at the moment and tbh i think it is sh*t money.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

sponge_bob wrote: »

It's hardy sh*t money! Half the country back
    Home would kill to be on that sorta money

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

sponge_bob wrote: »

well you are slightly above the average wage which is $1345.20 ($70K) based on a 38 hr week that $35.40 p/Hr.

The average person is living on it at the moment.

imo I think for skilled/professional work anything over $50 hr is decent coin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

batistuta9 wrote: »
    what jobs were you doing?
    Have you seen the film Magic Mike ??:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I was on 80k when working in Perth, it's good money for a single bloke but I would like to run a family on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

s.c wrote: »
    Its not all relative if you are sending money home or saving to bring money home when you go back.

that's different then..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

seachto7 wrote: »

It's all relative.

I'm in Germany now, decent salary although taxes are high, quality of life is good..I was on 100k working in Perth 2 years ago, and am happier here living on a lot less than that...oz ain't for everyone...I even got the 175 permanent residence visa to keep the options open but still have no desire to return. Life in Europe is much more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

It's hardy sh*t money! Half the country back
    Home would kill to be on that sorta money
    You cannot compare like for like, when living costs are almost 50% more over here etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

hussey wrote: »
    You cannot compare like for like, when living costs are almost 50% more over here etc.

That depends. If you are over here with a family living costs could be 50% higher when you factor in running a car, schools, mortgage etc. But I haven't found Australia to be too expensive. Me and the missus were comfortably living off one wage while in Melbourne and we were still able to go on the beer, eat out once a week and so forth. I doubt we would have been able to do the same if we were still back home so I reckon the comparison is fair.

Groceries, Clothes and transport are reasonable enough over here its the $10 pints which are a killer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I know lots of people in Aus who have no desire to be there longterm, but are there because they have no work in Ireland. They are earning good money in Aus, so it makes sense for them to stay. I know lots of people in continental Europe who would mainly be there by choice, lifestyle choice. Depends on the skillset as well I guess. If you have languages you will be more of an asset in Europe.
    Having been all around Europe and a bit of Aus, I would choose Europe, but I have a few languages, so it's not so much of an issue if I want to get around France, Italy or Spain. Trust me to have languages of countries that are as goosed as Ireland!!!

Advertisement