Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glad the car brakes are good...

• 30-07-2012 6:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

I was heading for a village market on Sunday morning, down pretty leafy lanes..... no traffic.. bliss...

Rounded a bend and stood on the brakes..

Mother pheasant taking her two tiny chicks for a walk in the middle of the road.

They were compelely unfazed and I sat while they decided finally to head for the hedge. They were in no hurry...

Pretty wee things.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

:) I love your post graces! :). I've been lucky enough to spot a few on the way to doggy daycare. The m50 a stones throw away and pheasants out enjoying the morning sun!

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

I nearly hit a hedgehog this evening. He was ambling across the road just after a bend, I didn't have time to stop completely but I did manage to drive over him without hitting him.
    Amazingly enough he picked up the pace to get into the ditch after that little fright. I had a little giggle to myself imagining him having to change his underpants when he got home :)
    Hedgehogs can move quick enough when they have to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

In my years driving i've swerved so many times now to avoid hitting an animal, most of the times i've gotten away with it.

Last year i swerved to avoid a rabbit on the road and nearly killed myself (on coming car), now i will never EVER swerve to avoid an animal (Sorry animals)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Graces7 wrote: »
    I was heading for a village market on Sunday morning, down pretty leafy lanes..... no traffic.. bliss...

Rounded a bend and stood on the brakes..

Mother pheasant taking her two tiny chicks for a walk in the middle of the road.

They were compelely unfazed and I sat while they decided finally to head for the hedge. They were in no hurry...

Pretty wee things.

Wait until you encounter two male pheasants having a tussle in the middle of the road, they won't move. I've had to get out of my car and they still wouldn't move I had to get an empty crisp bag blow air into it then burst it, the bang made them scarper. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Wait until you encounter two male pheasants having a tussle in the middle of the road, they won't move. I've had to get out of my car and they still wouldn't move I had to get an empty crisp bag blow air into it then burst it, the bang made them scarper. :D
    Fighting male pheasants focus solely on the other pheasant. I managed to catch a wild pheasant once who was fighting and didn't see me sneaking up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Fighting male pheasants focus solely on the other pheasant. I managed to catch a wild pheasant once who was fighting and didn't see me sneaking up!

Why would you do that?:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

scudzilla wrote: »
    In my years driving i've swerved so many times now to avoid hitting an animal, most of the times i've gotten away with it.

Last year i swerved to avoid a rabbit on the road and nearly killed myself (on coming car), now i will never EVER swerve to avoid an animal (Sorry animals)
    I was nearly in a pile up a few weeks ago when a small dog ran accross the road and a woman jamed on and skidded and ended up sidways accros the road bringings our side and the oncoming traffic to a complete stop :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Kildare, in fairness it's instinct. I know you're supposed to stay going but a lot of people react before even realising they are doing so.
    Wait until you encounter two male pheasants having a tussle in the middle of the road

Reminds me of 2 rams in Achill having a fight in the middle of the road. They just kept going despite cars trying to nudge past them. Nobody got out to move them either. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

This reminded me of the (much too) tame ducks that hang around on our road every year for a few months :

TK in car and duck on the road..

TK - rev rev
    Duck - meh
    TK - beep beep
    Duck - quack quack
    TK - *takes off seat belt, moves seat back gets out and runs at duck*
    Duck - *flies onto path*
    TK - *gets back in car, seat forward, seat belt back on*
    Duck - *flies back onto road*
    TK - :mad:
    Duck - :cool:

repeat x 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

For the laughter on a wild night, blessings and thanks..
    Separating fighting cocks reminds me of my own days as hen and various livestock owner.

Two of them going at it full tilt... magnificent sight with spurs and beaks.. But deadly...

Even a bucket of cold water thrown at them did nothing; had to wade in and yank them apart.

One of my previous landlords had two rams and one got in the field where the older ram and the ewes were... it took the two of us to get them apart...

The young one was given his ewes and later it was realised he was infertile... Do they not test them before buying? A great loss for the farmer that year.

• Advertisement

maggiepip wrote: »
    Why would you do that?:(
    I left him go again afterwards. It was just a 'personal challenge' I set myself, that stemmed from curiosity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

I left him go again afterwards. It was just a 'personal challenge' I set myself, that stemmed from curiosity.

Ahhh....! that means you would have stopped them hurting each other as well...:D

maggiepip wrote: »
    Ahhh....! that means you would have stopped them hurting each other as well...:D
    Exactly! Once I picked up one of them, the other ran off. I had a look at the pheasant I'd caught (beautiful bird!) and then left him off. Fight over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Exactly! Once I picked up one of them, the other ran off. I had a look at the pheasant I'd caught (beautiful bird!) and then left him off. Fight over.

Well for the moment! With the episode I mentioned, my beloved old cockerel had a stroke and recovered and I bought a youngster in from a different line and breed so that when he died....

All went fine until spring and the young bird;s testosterone came in.. I found him attacking the fallen old bird ( we took him when an older cockerel had half killed him as a small one).

So I made a retirement apartment in the garden for the old fellwo and he lived happily a long while. The only fear he knew was when young one patrolled outside the hedge..
    He almost got buried alive once as he slept so deeply...

Advertisement