Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teaching languages in primary school....

• 30-07-2012 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I just heard a woman on the Matt Cooper show talking about languages and language requirements for jobs in Ireland. She also mentioned the very small percentage of kids being taught foreign languages in primary school.

It set off a lightbulb in my head!:(:(

I had been toying with the idea of language teaching. I have been on and off this forum before, but not in a while. I am in my 30s and working, so I haven't figured out the "how to go back and study" yet, but I do speak French and Italian and am learning Spanish. I also studied Gaeilge at 3rd level, play a shed load of music. An ideal candidate? Or just a dreamer....

The question I will be asked, do you actually want to teach? Well, I love languages. I have taught English abroad, but different kettle of fish altogether...

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The modern language pilot scheme was cancelled this year. It is unlikely that you would a find a 9-3 job teaching languages in primary ,you might get some after school work, but it is a bad time to be looking for money for extra curricular activities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Sorry, I should have made my original post clearer. If one was to be a qualified primary teacher with languages, this would be a good thing to have?
    I know getting a job these days is an issue....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Not especially as there is no real time available in the guidelines for amount of time spent on each subject area,especially with the latest numeracy and literacy time allocations.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Rocket19

Hmm, well I learned Spanish in junior school (5th and 6th class) as part of our curriculum. I would have been 10 or so, so this was about 10 years ago.

I know the school I went to continues to teach foreign languages to students )I think now even earlier than 5th class), and I'm actually surprised to hear a lot of school aren't doing this!

I had toyed with post primary language teaching as well. The light bulb went off in my head when I heard the lady on the radio earlier...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

seachto7 wrote: »

The question I will be asked, do you actually want to teach?

In terms of primary the question you should be asking is do you actually want to teach English, Irish, Maths, Science, Religion, Art, Geography, History etc. etc. etc.

If you are specifically interested in languages and would prefer that line secondary teaching would be more down the line I would look at if I were you.

Primary curriculum is packed with subjects already without adding in time for other languages just because you want to (not saying this wouldn't be a good thing)

One thing to note is and I'm sure plenty people will be on to say the same jobs are not easy to come by. In my school there is only 1 Spanish teacher and I could list 6 or 7 schools I have taught in and none of them have Spanish. A school I used to work in has since removed German from the curriculum. Obviously there will always be a space for European languages in secondary but it will be come more restricted as the cuts continue.

Rocket19 wrote: »
    Hmm, well I learned Spanish in junior school (5th and 6th class) as part of our curriculum. I would have been 10 or so, so this was about 10 years ago.

I know the school I went to continues to teach foreign languages to students )I think now even earlier than 5th class), and I'm actually surprised to hear a lot of school aren't doing this!
    Private schools often do as they don't follow the DES curriculum in some cases. Our school had German for the last 25 years, but it has finished since the DES pulled funding anf the numeracy/literacy time has used up much of the discretionary time schools once had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Rocket19 wrote: »

Because as was said in an earlier post, it was cut from the curriculum in the last budget.

If there is no provision for it, it will not be taught.

I should post the link to the radio segment earlier...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

seachto7 wrote: »
    I should post the link to the radio segment earlier...

Clearly the woman can't be aware that the foreign language budget was cut. Either that or she's trying to campaign for it to be reinstated. Either way while numeracy and literacy need to be improved and there's no money in the country, teaching foreign languages will not be a priority.

They keep saying that about our science and technology sector too but the cuts mean more and more secondary schools are dropping physics and chemistry....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Link to show is HERE

Can't remember what her background was, but i think the gist of it was jobs jobs and more jobs lost because of languages not being taught well enough in schools.

In the last month over a few radio stations there is a persistent bashing of schools/teachers/education system and how they're 'failing' our children. I swear to god in the space of a month it's been relentless (or do I just listen to too much radio!!)

One day it's science
    Another day its maths
    Another day its English grammar/texting
    Another day it's civics
    Another day it's Irish
    Another day it's PE
    Another day it's food
    Another day it's computer programming
    Another day it's anti bullying

Is this just lazy journalism or what ?

And it's usually panelists that have a vested interest that don;t give a fig about the way the overall education system is going..

It's like this 'jobs' is a threat hanging over a 5 year olds head all the time.

Sorry for that rant OP but I think you'll find that if you listen to enough radio that there'll be people advocating the teaching of Animal Husbandry in primary schools soon enough, why? .. Jobs , jobs ,jobs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭drvantramp

As stated above the MLPSI has been abolished, although some schools still hire p/t teachers privately - i.e a FEW hours a week.
    http://www.schooldays.ie/education-news-item/Modern-Languages-in-Primary-Schools-Initiative-Abolished

Next, as regards secondary - have you degrees in languages mentioned? Go to teaching council site and explore your options, accredited courses. teaching diploma etc. www.teachingcouncil.ie

jobs situation- www.educationposts.ie

keep the lightbulb on but don't be in the dark!!!

Advertisement