Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour of Waterford. Help needed

Options
  • 30-07-2012 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

I hope someone maybe able to offer me some advice. I just completed the tour of Meath 100k and while doing so,the group I was with got lost as we missed the first turn and ended up doing a total of 120k in 4 hours 4 min. While I found the hill of Tara hard I found it doable. I also completed the W100 earlier this year and at present I am on my bike 5 days a week to and from work which is a total of 20 k return and a the weekends I would do a 80k run. I would also do the gym 5 days a week so I would be quite fit.

I am just about to enter the tour of Waterford and would really love to try the 160k but am not sure if I would be ready for it. Should I stick to the 100k or try the 160k?

Any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Charlie Bulmers

Thinking of doing the same myself... any info would be great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

why not do it together?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

If you can do 100k comfortably you should be able to do a 160 distance just be cautious and keep a steady pace early on. Whether the Sean Kelly is the best choice for your first 160 im not too sure as there is a significant amount of climbing , in saying that all climbs very doable .Feck it... go for it just watch the pace early on if you feel strong towards the end let it rip and enjoy the super 10 k or so final back ino Dungarvan its deadly.... GOOD LUCK :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

+1
    It's a long day with a whole lotta up but very doable and is very rewarding. By what your saying you will get around in good shape. Pick a pace at the start and stick to it until near the end, you'll be thankful on the last section. Careful on the down hills, some are fast and tricky. It is a large event with all shapes, sizes and abilities.
    Good luck and enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ajayz

Anyone doing the Sean Kelly Tour should note that the route has changed this year. Seskin Hill has been taken out and replaced by Tickincor, which climbs 263m in 3k at an average gradient of 8.8% . Thats a lot longer than Seskin!

Theres a nice 8k descent down the Mountain Road after though to recover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭topcat291169

thanks for all your advice :) feck it i just entered the 160k, if the weather is too bad on the day i might fall back to doing the 100k
    IT WILL EITHER KILL ME :mad: OR MAKE ME STRONGER :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 IronmanJNR

No Doubt you would be able for it , 120k @ 29.5kph average .. Your at good pace there dude , WD

Leinster Loop http://www.leinsterloop.com/ might another option , 130k ..

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭El Vino

The 100 km is a new route also, if it is to be believed there is only 600m of climbing in the whole thing, if that is the case it is far easier than last years coast road route to Tramore and back. Gutted I'm not doing the full route this year, promised my son I would do the 50km with him this year in a moment of weakness and he hasn't let me forget it.

IronmanJNR wrote: »
    No Doubt you would be able for it , 120k @ 29.5kph average .. Your at good pace there dude , WD

Leinster Loop http://www.leinsterloop.com/ might another option , 130k ..

thanks for your advice IronmanJNR. Sure i will give it a go. i have to try that distance sometime, eventhough it may take me all day :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

You sound like you'd be well able for it. Forget about the gym and go do some more hills between this and then and you'll be fine and remember......

215258.bmp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

ajayz wrote: »
    Seskin Hill has been taken out and replaced by Tickincor, which climbs 263m in 3k at an average gradient of 8.8% . Thats a lot longer than Seskin!

Theres a nice 8k descent down the Mountain Road after though to
    recover

This is a travesty I tell you ...:mad: :mad:.. why cant we do both, Seskin Hill is a shrine to the man himself ....

Bikerbhoy wrote: »
    This is a travesty I tell you ...:mad: :mad:.. why cant we do both, Seskin Hill is a shrine to the man himself ....

Bikerboy
    quick question with regards to training for the 160km. just to get some practice for the hills i was going to set off in rathfarnham and head up by the merry ploughboy and then on upto foxes, back down into Kiltiernan, down to lambs cross then into Rathfarnham but do this 2 or maybe 3 times at a time. do you think that would perpare me for the hills. i have no problem with the 160k its just the hills may get the better of me :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

This years route has 4 decent climbs,
    Ticincor
    Nire climb
    Mahon Falls
    Mauma
    Ticincor and Mahon falls are long and steep, the other two are long drags.

I've done Sean Kelly 3/4 times and the more hilss you can do the better. The last 3 climbs are very close together. Get as many hill miles as you can in, rest for a few days beforehand, eat a good breakfast, take your time early on, keep your powder dry for the Comeraghs!

Enjoy the spin.

I'm only a medicorce cyclist, it's well doable at your own pace
    Bikerboy
    quick question with regards to training for the 160km. just to get some practice for the hills i was going to set off in rathfarnham and head up by the merry ploughboy and then on upto foxes, back down into Kiltiernan, down to lambs cross then into Rathfarnham but do this 2 or maybe 3 times at a time. do you think that would perpare me for the hills. i have no problem with the 160k its just the hills may get the better of me :confused:

ford2600 wrote: »
    This years route has 4 decent climbs,
    Ticincor
    Nire climb
    Mahon Falls
    Mauma
    Ticincor and Mahon falls are long and steep, the other two are long drags.

I've done Sean Kelly 3/4 times and the more hilss you can do the better. The last 3 climbs are very close together. Get as many hill miles as you can in, rest for a few days beforehand, eat a good breakfast, take your time early on, keep your powder dry for the Comeraghs!

Enjoy the spin.

I'm only a medicorce cyclist, it's well doable at your own pace

thanks for your advice. well do :)

Advertisement