Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you could change the result of one football game ever...

• 30-07-2012 7:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭

What would it be and why?.

For me.....

Local schools final back in the day...meant the world to me.

Idea taken from another forum.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

Italy 1 – 0 Republic of Ireland , 30 June 1990

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Easy

Liverpool 0 - 1 Arsenal

(Though Liverpool 1 - 2 AC Milan (2007) comes close, a second CL title in the space of 3 years would have been sensational)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Great question. The one that comes closest to mind is Scottish Cup Final this year. Ya if I had 1 it would have been that I think.

Why? Well then 110 years of getting to Holy Grail would have been worth it. Now, the club has to pick itself up from its biggest disappointment in clubs history.

Ireland v France 09 in Paris, Man City QPR in May, and Cork v Dundalk from 1991 worth mentions.(could put another 20 in there)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

mike65 wrote: »
    (Though Liverpool 1 - 2 AC Milan (2007) comes close, a second CL title in the space of 3 years would have been sensational)

That was my second choice

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

AC Milan 2-1 Liverpool, 2007 CL final

Close second:
    France 1-1 Ireland (AET), 2010 WC Qualifier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

One that is pretty fresh in the memory would be Man United vs Everton and the 4-4 draw this year.

Threw away the league there and then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Ireland 0 Holland 1 in Euro 88.

Just to know what would have happened in the semis. Maybe we could have gone all the way ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

Ireland -v- Spain, 2002 World Cup, Harte to score that penalty.

South Korea in the quarters, semi-final would have been a realistic prospect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

KenHy wrote: »
    Ireland -v- Spain, 2002 World Cup, Harte to score that penalty.

South Korea in the quarters, semi-final would have been a realistic prospect!

Well I don't think we'd have gotten the 2nd peno if he had scored the first. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Out of spite; AC Milan 3-3 Liverpool to a Milan win obviously :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

05 CL final. Although I got to a point where I just registered Milan as Champions that year in my head as there was such a big class difference in that final and Pool were blessed with Dudeks miracle save.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Shelbourne 1-1 Limerick 2008

It was the start of a horrific run of conceding late goals and end of season bottle jobs that continues nearly 5 years later.

I could change the Deportivo away match and had us qualify for the champions league, possibly preventing us from going into financial meltdown and 5 years in Division 1 but that would be too easy :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

The 08 CL semi final against chelsea. There's no way they could have sacked Rafa if he had got to yet another CL final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

UEFA Cup Final, Seville 2003, probably wont ever get to go see Celtic in a european final again. Also Paris WC Play Off, would have been a night to remember forever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

FA Cup semi-final 2004: Sunderland 0-1 Millwall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Easy

Liverpool 0 - 1 Arsenal

As a Liverpool fan would it not have been better to change the time Chelsea beat Liverpool at the end of the 02-03 season for the champions league spot. Its suppose to be the game that whoever won and got the champions league spot got the Abramovich money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Easy one. 1999 Champions League final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Ireland v France 2009

Self explanatory!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Lazio 4-2 Inter, 05-05-2002. Ronaldo would have scored a hat trick to win the scudetto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Liverpool 4-4 Arsenal 08/09. Was an unreal game to be at (crazy 2nd half!) At the time, were playing our best football under Rafa and had United in our sights... only for Arshavin to score from his every touch :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

Id change the result of the last time we played england so we beat them 17-0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Boskowski wrote: »
    Easy one. 1999 Champions League final.

Yeah another CL final that was dominated by one team and unlucky to lose on the balance of the game.

As a Liverpool fan would it not have been better to change the time Chelsea beat Liverpool at the end of the 02-03 season for the champions league spot. Its suppose to be the game that whoever won and got the champions league spot got the Abramovich money.

Parry and moores would have found a way to mess it up

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Liverpool 4-4 Arsenal 08/09. Was an unreal game to be at (crazy 2nd half!) At the time, were playing our best football under Rafa and had United in our sights... only for Arshavin to score from his every touch :o

I really think if we had won that game we would have won the title. You're right though, great game to be at

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭RoryMac

UEFA Cup Final, Seville 2003, probably wont ever get to go see Celtic in a european final again. Also Paris WC Play Off, would have been a night to remember forever

Same for me, who knows where Celtic would've gone from there if they'd won.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Championship Playoff 2006

Leeds 0 Watford 3.

Had Leeds won that game, Bates would have cashed in his stake in the club and buggered off. Instead he's hung around and drained the club dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Barcelona 2-1 Arsenal that game haunted me Henry missed chance after chance :( now we've to put up with chelsea being the 1st london club to win the thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That's a good call, 2 extra points and everything else being equal Liverpool would have won the title on goal difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

West Ham 1 - 1 Man United 95

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Losing to Utd in the UCL in Moscow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Leeds vs Valencia in the champions league semi final in 2001.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

That thrashing by City.....no matter what it will always be thrown at us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Easy.

23rd August 2009, Ajax v Sparta Rotterdam

First game of the season...most frustrating game I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY WHOLE ENTIRE LIFE EVER (still seriously irks me - big Ajax fan btw...)

Ajax have 42 shots on goal (did I mention 42?) Unheard of in any league.

Sparta have 0 shots on goal (0)

Final score? 0-0

Unbelievable. Ajax were on fire, Suarez was on fire....no goals. I was literally eating my eyeballs out (maybe not literally, I should have it would have been less painful)

We drop the 2 points, we go on to lose the league title (would have been our 30th), by a single point.

Sickening. Some videos (and Dutch review of the game), here - http://fside.ucoz.com/blog/2009-08-24-151

I would change this result to Ajax win 1-0 in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

Probably the United v Portsmouth FA cup SF in 2008. The red card and penalty still haunts me. Sickening how close it was to another treble. (Of course, I'm being extremely presumptuous about the final.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Losing to Utd in the UCL in Moscow.

What would have been better; Drogba not getting sent off and scoring no.5 or Terry not slipping and scoring no. 5? Not sure which I would go for myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

oldyouth wrote: »
    Championship Playoff 2006

Leeds 0 Watford 3.

Had Leeds won that game, Bates would have cashed in his stake in the club and buggered off. Instead he's hung around and drained the club dry.

this or the 1975 European Cup final (which we were robbed in anyway)
    Would have meant no Waccoe chant though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

That's a good call, 2 extra points and everything else being equal Liverpool would have won the title on goal difference.

United won the league by finishing on 90 points that season, 4 points more than ourselves unfortunately. I was thinking about posting that game as well thinking we would have won the league.

Have to go with either the 07 CL final v Milan, 08 semi v Chelsea or that 2-1 loss to Lyon in 09/10.

Who knows what a win against that Lyon team could of done for our season, for Rafa and for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

That season is best left by just looking at the table and thinkign what might have been. 4pts off the top with a better GD. The depression sets in when you look at the results and think a couple o fgoals here or there and its a league title. Loing to Boro is the killer one imo. If that one hadnt been so bad it only took a goal against Wigan to turn a draw in to a win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

5th April 2009 - Man United 3 - 2 Aston Villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

What would have been better; Drogba not getting sent off and scoring no.5 or Terry not slipping and scoring no. 5? Not sure which I would go for myself.

Either or really. Winning is the main thing. Unfortunatly wasnt to be on the night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

For me, the Chelsea v. Barcelona UCL Semi-Final of 2009. I really think Chelsea would have beaten United had they gotten to the Final that year. One kick of a ball, seconds away from getting to the final. Chelsea would have needed only one of those stonewall penalty shouts to be given and they would have been 2-0 up and the way the game was going, Barcelona would not have scored twice. They were lucky to score the one, but that was enough to get them through. A sickening night that will live in infamy for every Chelsea fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The 1966 World Cup Final.

It would be easier on all of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

march 1st 2009 villa 2-2 stoke

cost us the champions league and kickstarted an absolutely chronic run of form that arguably put the wheels in motion for the downfall of the club financially

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

October 1, 2011: East Fife 4 - Forfar 3

So near and yet so Forfar!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

2009 Champions League Final, Would have had 2 in a row for Man United, never been done in the Champions League!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

One that is pretty fresh in the memory would be Man United vs Everton and the 4-4 draw this year.

Threw away the league there and then

That's my one as well.

Wish Everton had got a winner :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

5th April 2009 - Man United 3 - 2 Aston Villa

Hmm, probably that or the Stade De France games, as I don't think I'll ever forget how I felt after both.

Though I still wonder what might have been had Lucio not popped up with the late winner in 2002. We were on such a run coming on two years, a win there might have kept the momentum rolling and who ****ing knows?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,337 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The 1973 FA Cup Final where Sunderland beat Leeds 1-0 so I don't have to see Bobby Stokoe in his bloody hat and flasher mac before every FA Cup Final and every time giantkilling/the romance of the cup is mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Hmm, probably that or the Stade De France games, as I don't think I'll ever forget how I felt after both.

Though I still wonder what might have been had Lucio not popped up with the late winner in 2002. We were on such a run coming on two years, a win there might have kept the momentum rolling and who ****ing knows?

That game was painful. Was on such a high after Litmanen's brilliant goal only for it to be snatched away at the death.

Instead of continuing that momentum, Liverpool signed Diouf and Diao, passed on Anelka and the rest is history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

2002 v Spain all the way. Korea in the quarters and a very poor German side in the semis. Who knows what would have happened!

• Advertisement
Advertisement