Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you could change the result of one football game ever...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

RoryMac wrote: »
    Same for me, who knows where Celtic would've gone from there if they'd won.

Eh, Nowhere???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Man City vs QPR...a draw and I would have been 100 something Euro richer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

United to have lost to Shamrock Rovers in 58.

Who knows what the effect on English football had United been knocked out of Europe early that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭RoryMac

srfc19 wrote: »
    Eh, Nowhere???

Take you long to think that one up or did you get help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

well let's be honest, they'd have won it, partied a bit, and then resumed business as usual. there wasn't really anywhere for them TO go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Poland v Ireland 3-3 in 1991, after Ireland being 3-1 up.

A win would have qualified us for Euro '92 ahead of England.

With the team we had and the experience of a third major qualification on the trot we could have done well.

On a side note, the game includes the original 'danger here' comment by George

Actually Ireland were 3-1 up with 13 mins to go, and the game was in Poznan, that modern theater of Irish disaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Kildare County 0-2 Finn Harps in the second last game of the season, 2004.

I think Kildare had budgeted to get promoted that season (3 teams were getting promoted that year), and had a very good shot of doing so but were hosting Finn Harps in Newbridge in the second last game of the year, who would win the league if they bet us. Tight game, but Finn Harps scored twice in the last 10 minutes to win the league and rule us out of promotion. Heartbreak.

After that season the club were surviving off a shoe string budget, plummeted down the league table more and more every year that went by, crowds dwindled down to below 100 a week and then in 2009 the club went out of business, however that night was really the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Seville 4-0 Middlesbrough :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Spain 2002 was the one that got away. If only we had players that could take a penalty. A big chance missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

For my team: Liverpool 0 Arsenal 2 May 26th 1989. Seconds from the double and so soon after Hillsborough.

Another team: Notts Forest 0 Man Utd 1 January 1990. Talk about a game that could change history!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

4-6.

Other contenders:

Barcelona 2-2 Espanyol, June 2007, Raul Tamudo's 90th minute equaliser to rob Barcelona the league on head-to-head.

Celta Vigo 3-2 Real Sociedad, 2003, that handed Madrid the league.

Man Yoo 2-1 Liverpool, FA Cup 4th Round 1999

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

ceegee wrote: »
    United to have lost to Shamrock Rovers in 58.

Who knows what the effect on English football had United been knocked out of Europe early that year.

Great shout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Wexford Youths 1 - 6 Derry City, League cup final. A trophy that year could have done wonders for our club. That said, we over-performed in even getting to the final.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Bohs 0 - 1 Red Bull Salzburg

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

United 1-6 City or United 4-4 Everton, both ****ed us over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Wouldn't change any of City's results, we are where because of them. It all happened for a reason and it couldn't be any better right now :cool:

I would change the result of last year's FAI Cup Final though :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

would the thread be more interesting if you could just change one goal rather than a whole result ?.

Another that comes to mind in Eire v Leicth. 1995, if I am not mistaken we only missed out on automatic qualification by 2pts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

I honestly dont think I have ever felt worse than Paris 2009. Not in football terms, I mean in life in general I dont think I have ever experienced anything as crushing from out of nowhere. I reckon in 2010 group A we would have had a good chance of pushing for second place.

I honestly dont think I have ever felt worse than Paris 2009. Not in football terms, I mean in life in general I dont think I have ever experienced anything as crushing from out of nowhere. I reckon in 2010 group A we would have had a good chance of pushing for second place.

Agree about Paris never felt so down after a football match as after that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Not much to complain at club level.
    Feyenoord has won all 4 major finals they played in. ( CL, 2x uefa cup, 1 WC)

As for country... 3 world cup finals to choose from.

1974 Germany is probably the one they most deserved to win.
    1978 Argentina they would not have made it back alive if they had won that
    2010 Webb made sure they didnt win that.

So change the '74 result.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Man U -v- Nots Forest 3rd round of the cup in 1990.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Without doubt the European Cup Final, 1975 - ROBBED!! :mad:

Special mention also to Champions League Final 1999 - when Clive Tyldsley (sp?) said something like, "there's 3 minutes to go, it's still possible..." in my nerves I actually debated going out of the house and walking away for 1.5 minutes and then returning along the same path to see Bayern crowned champions!! :o

Change in the result of the 1990 FA Cup Final could also have had wonderful far reaching repercussions on what followed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Heysel

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

I obviously have a team of writers helping me to write gems such as this!!

Helix wrote: »
    well let's be honest, they'd have won it, partied a bit, and then resumed business as usual. there wasn't really anywhere for them TO go

Exactly. Where do you think they would have ended up? Either winning or coming second in a two horse race for the next ten years?? Or is that exactly what happened anyways?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Heysel

Surely that's result in different sense? Or just something that would have been better not happening.

Racking my brain the one that comes to the top (probably because it's the most recent) is the 1-6 at OT last October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Spain 2002 was the one that got away. If only we had players that could take a penalty. A big chance missed.

I've never forgiven Kevin Kilbane for that criminal rebound miss.

If I could change one goal, I know many would say the Henry one but had it gone to pens who knows what would have happened really. May well still have gone out. Would be different if we were winning, his handball lead to the leveller and they then progressed on pens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

Great thread, pure depressed now thinking of the what could have beens!

There was one cup final when I was younger playing against a local rival would've loved to win but our best player went on holidays straight after our semi.

Ireland Spain back in Korea and for liverpool it could be any number of games but the 07 final v milan shades it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

RayCon wrote: »
    Italy 1 – 0 Republic of Ireland , 30 June 1990

third choice
    Skid wrote: »
    Ireland 0 Holland 1 in Euro 88.
    Just to know what would have happened in the semis. Maybe we could have gone all the way ...

Second choice
    Heysel

First choice
    Belgium 1 Ireland 0
    Heysel 1981

Heysel 1981 when the Belgians robbed, as they were known to do around that period, Ireland of a result and we lost out on goal difference to platini's France to qualify to go to Spain 82 ?

A perfectly good goal was ruled out and they got a free kick for a dive.
    Cheating basteards.

People talk about how tought the groups are nowadays, but in 82 we had France (with Platini et al), the Dutch (runners up in two previous WC finals), the Belgians (cheatin gits) and Cyprus.

Feckin hell Eoin Hand had some team at that stage playing real football and we could have been at a WC final long before Charlton arrived playing sh**e football.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭McGrath5

This.

If only we had hung on for the victory, automatic qualification for Euro 2000 would of been ours, but this result consigned us to another play off :(

• Advertisement

jmayo wrote: »

People talk about how tought the groups are nowadays, but in 82 we had France (with Platini et al), the Dutch (runners up in two previous WC finals), the Belgians (cheatin gits) and Cyprus.

Feckin hell Eoin Hand had some team at that stage playing real football and we could have been at a WC final long before Charlton arrived playing sh**e football.

Dont want to disagree but the period '78/'86 was the worst period for the Dutch team for as long as i can remember. Just lucky to be in their group in that time.
    They made Euro80 but went home in similar fashion as this summer. then failed to qualify for WC82/Euro84/WC86.

Euro84 failure deserves a special mention though because of Spains remarkable 12-1 victory over Malta.

Mmm, maybe that is the one i would like to see different from a Dutch pov.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

For me its the uefa cup final 2003 theres no describing how gutted i was losing in extra time. The players all deserve the respect of being the greatest Celtic side in my lifetime.

Oh and i think Rorymac meant continued European success

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

cgpg5 wrote: »

If I could change one goal, I know many would say the Henry one but had it gone to pens who knows what would have happened really. May well still have gone out. Would be different if we were winning, his handball lead to the leveller and they then progressed on pens

Have to disagree. I think part of the pain was that it had come after the horrors of the Stan era. To go within two- three years from a side that couldnt even beat Cyprus at home and lost 5-1 away to a team that had France on the backheel in their own stadium, only to be cheated out of our chance, was the biggest heartache of all. It just felt like we couldnt catch a break, and the group that France found itself in in our place was one that we likely could have gotten out of if we played to the form we had shown back then.

For me Liverpool lost their 2008-09 title challenge in a dire match at Stoke with some pretty oddball substitutions. That one really should not have happened.

Funny one for me, but I would overturn United vs Milan in 2007. I hate United obviously, but an in form Liverpool vs United in the final that year would likely have been one of the greatest matches of all time, such a shame it was not to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

If I had it my way, it'd have been Liverpool 3-4 Newcastle. In fact, I'd have made sure that Collymore's parents put on a condom that night he was conceived so he wouldn't have had the opportunity to send us home with nothing that night. :pac:

Breaks my heart every time I see the highlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭RoryMac

srfc19 wrote: »
    I obviously have a team of writers helping me to write gems such as this!!

Exactly. Where do you think they would have ended up? Either winning or coming second in a two horse race for the next ten years?? Or is that exactly what happened anyways?

I'm not saying Celtic would've become a team of world-beaters if they had won the UEFA Cup in 03 but there was a definite slowdown in investment in the team after the defeat, I think had we won we could've attracted a slightly better class of player to the club, the goals of the board may have increased also to allow us compete at a better level in Europe.

Just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

This.

If only we had hung on for the victory, automatic qualification for Euro 2000 would of been ours, but this result consigned us to another play off :(

Good one. Had forgotten about that (for obvious reasons I guess).

We would have done OK in that tournament too maybe got to QF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Rekop dog wrote: »
    05 CL final. Although I got to a point where I just registered Milan as Champions that year in my head as there was such a big class difference in that final and Pool were blessed with Dudeks miracle save.

Teams always ride their luck in these games, Chelsea this year being one example. Somehow I doubt it was the "big class difference" that has swayed your judgement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Not a result, but an event that changed the face of English football. The Abramovich takeover all but killed any chance Arsenal had of remaining competitive in the fight for trophies. With plans for the new stadium well under way, it really couldn't have come at a worse time.

Oh and i think Rorymac meant continued European success

a uefa cup would hardly have provided a springboard for continued european success, not with the team competing in the SPL

• Advertisement

I'm not saying Celtic would've become a team of world-beaters if they had won the UEFA Cup in 03 but there was a definite slowdown in investment in the team after the defeat, I think had we won we could've attracted a slightly better class of player to the club, the goals of the board may have increased also to allow us compete at a better level in Europe.

Just my opinion.

the players have to want to join the club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Would have to be Drogheda V Kiev. What would have been if we had won that tie..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

1. ireland v italy game 1990 wc qf.
    2. valencia v leeds CL semi 01 - as a leeds fan had we won this game and beaten bayern we may have avoided the catastrophic consequences of the risks taken by peter ridsdale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

the players have to want to join the club

Of course but a club that had just won the UEFA Cup and were intent on establishing themselves as regulars in European competition certainly would have been much more attractive than what celtic are at the moment for example. Oh and Porto did go on to win the big one the next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

All the major Liverpool and Ireland ones have been done so I'll go with this. Man United vs Palace FA cup final, 4-3 to Palace in the first game an Ferguson might well have been sacked. God only knows what would have happened then.

Oh and Porto did go on to win the big one the next year.

ah you're living in cloud cuckoo land if you think they're remotely comparable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Barcelona 2-0 Manchester United - Champions League final 2009.

United would have been the first team in the Champions League era to retain the trophy (I think).

Looked promising for the first 10 mins or so, until Eto'o scored with Barcelona's first meaningful attack.

Dominated from there, and thoroughly deserved the win tbf, but it still doesn't mean I wouldn't like to change the result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

ah you're living in cloud cuckoo land if you think they're remotely comparable

What are comparable?:confused: Im not for one minute suggesting that celtic could have emulated Porto, not at all. But i am saying of we had won a European title. It may have been the launch pad for a different long term strategy, im just saying, who knows? And no, i dont think we would have won the CL by now either before thats thrown in my face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

UEFA Cup final 2002, Borussia Dortmund was beaten 3:2 by the hosts Feyenoord Rotterdam. Went over, a terrible experience it was, the supporters from Dortmund were treated like animals, missiles were thrown at us, the away end was attacked a few times and the stewards did nothing at all. There were rumours around, that Borussia lost on purpose to avoid even more attacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Just my opinion.

The reason there was a slow down in investment was because the Celtic board realised that MON had put the club into a lot of debt regarding buying players, but especially bringing guys in on big wages that the club couldn't afford.

Bobo Balde being the pefect example.

MON then left later and went onto Villa where he did the excact same thing, but only in a far bigger way and left a nice financial mess behind him once again.

Just wait for the same thing to happen at Sunderland.

He will bring in old players on big wages, who will bleed the club dry and have very little sell on value afterwards, if they can actualy shift them off their wage bill.

Celtic winning that UEFA cup really wouldn't have changed much IMO. They had over extended financially to reach that final, but fair play to their board for being one of the few that seen what could happen if they didnt sort their finances out, unlike other Glasgow Clubs.

Lars1916 wrote: »
    UEFA Cup final 2002, Borussia Dortmund was beaten 3:2 by the hosts Feyenoord Rotterdam. Went over, a terrible experience it was, the supporters from Dortmund were treated like animals, missiles were thrown at us, the away end was attacked a few times and the stewards did nothing at all. There were rumours around, that Borussia lost on purpose to avoid even more attacks.

That is now the 3rd time i see you posting this.

Let me enlighten you a bit.

First of all, it was the UEFA organizing this match being the final.
    There was no away or home end as the tickets were split 40/40/20.

Were you in the Feyenoord Stadium a few years earlier when thee met in the CL group stages?

I know Feyenoord supporters dont have the best of reputations in Europe but dont blame this on Feyenoord.

And losing on purpose... really?
    i have heard those rumours as well. 3x from you on boards.ie

Here... enjoy:

• Advertisement
Advertisement