Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you could change the result of one football game ever...

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭RoryMac

CucaFace wrote: »
    The reason there was a slow down in investment was because the Celtic board realised that MON had put the club into a lot of debt regarding buying players, but especially bringing guys in on big wages that the club couldn't afford.

Bobo Balde being the pefect example.

MON then left later and went onto Villa where he did the excact same thing, but only in a far bigger way and left a nice financial mess behind him once again.

Just wait for the same thing to happen at Sunderland.

He will bring in old players on big wages, who will bleed the club dry and have very little sell on value afterwards, if they can actualy shift them off their wage bill.

Celtic winning that UEFA cup really wouldn't have changed much IMO. They had over extended financially to reach that final, but fair play to their board for being one of the few that seen what could happen if they didnt sort their finances out, unlike other Glasgow Clubs.

I'd agree with a lot of that but I think the reason guys like Balde got their bumper contracts was due to MON knowing he wouldn't be able to replace these players with similar quality after the board had cut the budget. While Balde's 30k a week contract was way over the odds it was easier to get the board to agree to than a £3m transfer fee and 20k a week.

Again I'll point out I thought a UEFA cup win would've allowed us to marginally increase the quality of player we could attract, not suggesting we were going to sign any top players or begin to pay top wages. I feel it was a chance for Celtic to become a regular in the Champ Lge group stages under the stable financial controls our board has correctly stuck too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Europa League April 29, 2010 Liverpool 2 - 1 Atlético Madrid

The significance at the time was most likely lost on me but given what has gone on since I would give anything to change the result against Atletico Madrid. Had we gone on to win the final then every chance Rafa would have held onto his job.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

inforfun wrote: »
    Dont want to disagree but the period '78/'86 was the worst period for the Dutch team for as long as i can remember. Just lucky to be in their group in that time.
    They made Euro80 but went home in similar fashion as this summer. then failed to qualify for WC82/Euro84/WC86.

Euro84 failure deserves a special mention though because of Spains remarkable 12-1 victory over Malta.

Mmm, maybe that is the one i would like to see different from a Dutch pov.

Ok the Ducth were not that good after most of their guys from the 70s had retired but you still have to say that was a damm hard group to get out of, even without the Belgians and their "funny" decisions.

BTW if there was one club game in last 20 odd years, that if it had gone differently that could have drastically changed the face of English domestic soccer and indeed European soccer to a lesser degree, then it has to be the Crystal Palace versus man united in the FA Cup final of 1990.
    It is claimed that ferguson's job was never in doubt, but if he had not won that then he wouln't have been able to win the Cup winners cup the following year and thus be able to hang on 7 years until 93 to win the league.

I know a lot of what ifs, but if he hadn't won we might not have had 20 odd years of listening to united fans braying like donkeys. :mad:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

inforfun wrote: »
    That is now the 3rd time i see you posting this.

Let me enlighten you a bit.

First of all, it was the UEFA organizing this match being the final.
    There was no away or home end as the tickets were split 40/40/20.

Were you in the Feyenoord Stadium a few years earlier when thee met in the CL group stages?

I know Feyenoord supporters dont have the best of reputations in Europe but dont blame this on Feyenoord.

And losing on purpose... really?
    i have heard those rumours as well. 3x from you on boards.ie

Here... enjoy:

Well, I only remember posting it once before, but never mind ;)

I was not there when they met in the group stages, didn't get a ticket for that, but why are you asking?

Don't know, but from all I witnessed, the stewards who were between the away section and the home crowd did not protect the Dortmund supporters enough, it even went further when after the match, we were hurled with missiles again from a distance.
    There was an away section though, behind one of the goals, since it was supposed to be a 'high security match', due to the fact, that there was a match between a German and a Dutch team.

Might not be Feyenoord's fault, but are they not screening the stewards? Even if they were appointed by UEFA?

Anyway, the rumour, that Borussia lost on purpose was told to me by a Dutch police, who was on the train home with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

I guess i could have picked a few games (threw away a good lead away to Poland as well) from the Euro 92 qualifying campaign, but we really should have beaten England in Wembley in 91.

Never seen them pinned down in their own box at Wembley like it since. Had Houghton scored that winner that day we woud have qualified.

And we would have gone to that tournament at the height of our powers, and just look how that tournament ended up.

We really did mess that qualifying campaign up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Arsenal (0) Vs Zaragoza (1) 1995

nayim from the halfway line :(

The young towell cried his heart out that night.

Absolutely heart breaking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Arsenal 1 - Chelsea 2

CL quarter final 2004.

We had the best team in Europe at the time and, if it wasn't for Wayne Bridge's late winner, would have faced Monaco and Porto in the semi and final respectively.

Always sticks with me as the one that got away and the Invincibles deserved to crown their domestic perfection with European success.

By 06 Barca were the better team and gaps had started to appear in Arsenal's squad. Better cover for a GK than Almunia and we might have hung on, but who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Wouldn't be one I'd care enough to change but if Liverpool had beat Chelsea in the last game of the season in 2003, the landscape of the Premier League would be very different. Chelsea wouldn't have qualified for the Champions League, Roman Abromovich wouldn't have bought them and in all likelihood, they would have gone bust under Ken Bates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,721 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Skid wrote: »
    Ireland 0 Holland 1 in Euro 88.

Just to know what would have happened in the semis. Maybe we could have gone all the way ...

best Irish team of all time - Holland were a class team , but then again that Irish team made me so proud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Well, I only remember posting it once before, but never mind ;)

I was not there when they met in the group stages, didn't get a ticket for that, but why are you asking?

Don't know, but from all I witnessed, the stewards who were between the away section and the home crowd did not protect the Dortmund supporters enough, it even went further when after the match, we were hurled with missiles again from a distance.
    There was an away section though, behind one of the goals, since it was supposed to be a 'high security match', due to the fact, that there was a match between a German and a Dutch team.

Might not be Feyenoord's fault, but are they not screening the stewards? Even if they were appointed by UEFA?

Anyway, the rumour, that Borussia lost on purpose was told to me by a Dutch police, who was on the train home with us.

The reason i asked is because the final was 100% organized by UEFA, including security/stewards.
    Yes, it was the Feyenoord stadium and Feyenoord was playing but that were the only 2 factors related to Feyenoord.

You might as well say that you give up your stadium to UEFA for the final.
    Group stages is different, you do give up your stadium to a certain degree but that is only related to sponsoring.

Security and all that is still the home teams responsibility.

Nothing really happened in the CL match and according to you it was hell on earth in the Uefa cup final (Didnt really notice myself but there you go). See the difference?

So please stop blaming Feyenoord and really stop with "Dortmund losing on purpose"

Just be glad Feyenoord's manager Van Marwijk dragged you out of bankruptcy ;)

And for the other readers here, sorry to go off topic but this annoyed me once too often.

Now bring on Kiev - Feyenoord in 45 minutes....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

thebaz wrote: »
    best Irish team of all time

imagine what they'd have done with a manager that let them play football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

The one game that would have radically changed the power base of domestic football in England:

Nottm Forest 0-1 Man Utd (FA Cup January 1990)

Mark Robbins goal saves Ferguson's job. Forest were hot favourites to win that day at the City Ground (how times have changed). Had Forest won, Fergie would more likely than not have been sacked. No plethora of trophies for United over the next 22 years. The footballing landscape of England would look very different today.

And another one that affected my club:

Anderlecht 3-0 Nottm Forest
    (April 1984, UEFA Cup Semi Final 2nd leg)

The only proven case of bribery affecting an English team's progression in Europe. Clough's Forest side won the first leg at the City Ground 2-0 only to lose 3-0 in Belgium, with a controversial goal ruled out. Anderlecht later admitted they had paid Spanish official Emilio Guruceta Muro £20,000 as "a loan" before the game. Anderlecht were banned from European competition for the 1997-98 season by UEFA as a result of this admittance. Not that it was any good to Forest at that stage. They would have faced Tottenham in the final and would have fancied their chances of winning a fourth European trophy in five years.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

Gotta be Spain 2002 for me....considering the team was playing fairly well and we would have played South Korea in the quarters, we would have had a great chance to get to a semi final of a world cup....sigh :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

Dynamo Kiev v Drogheda united . A lick of paint away from putting them out of the champions league qualifiers :confused: would have changed our entire future as a club if we had of won .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Team GB 1 - 0 Uruguay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Change Barca 1-0 Inter.

I've never felt so bad about a football match before. Bojan's legitimate goal ruled out for offside in the last minute was sickening. If it was 2-0, we'd have been in the final and confident that Bayern would've lost. First side to retain the Champions League, if only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Wouldn't be one I'd care enough to change but if Liverpool had beat Chelsea in the last game of the season in 2003, the landscape of the Premier League would be very different. Chelsea wouldn't have qualified for the Champions League, Roman Abromovich wouldn't have bought them and in all likelihood, they would have gone bust under Ken Bates.

:D The one where Liverpool clearly cheated in the goal that never was and beat us in the CL semi :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Dynamo Kiev v Drogheda united . A lick of paint away from putting them out of the champions league qualifiers :confused: would have changed our entire future as a club if we had of won .

Adam Hughes miss was unbelievable. How he faced his team mates after that i dont know, especially with the players going unpaid for parts of the season after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,721 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Helix wrote: »
    imagine what they'd have done with a manager that let them play football

and if Brady had been available and fit , we could have won the damn thing , i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Milan-Liverpool 2007 CL final

I wasn't right for two weeks after it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Pretty sure that Chelseas draw against Bayern in the CL final this year will have fairly far reaching effects. Had they not got the trophy that night, they would not be in the CL this coming season, Roman would probably have lost interest and stopped shelling out for new players and wages.

Instead now, his enthusiasm is renewed and Chelsea could finally go on to be a force in European football, as well as driving/keeping prices and wages for players very high.

So, I would change that to a Bayern win.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭martyeds

Fa Cup Final 2003. Arsenal 1-0 Southampton. Would have loved to see Saints win a major trophy......we did win Johnstons Paint Trophy a few years ago but it just wasn't the same!!!:(

Advertisement