Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wired to Wireless in a dorm, please help a damsel in distress!

Options
  • 30-07-2012 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭

Yo yo yo! Im moving into a dorm type place with wired broadband, not much good for my hp touchpad, how can i turn that into a wifi network just for myself? help appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Get a "cable router" and set up your own wifi network, usually about €40.

Or if you have a pc plugged into the LAN cable you should be able to set this up as a wifi router too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Stuck Cone

Get a "cable router" and set up your own wifi network, usually about €40.

Or if you have a pc plugged into the LAN cable you should be able to set this up as a wifi router too.

Can you define a cable router? also will the admin know im using wifi? see its banned to try such a thing but feck them!

If its banned you shouldn't be doing it ;)

But to answer your question a "cable - router" is a router which is used to share an internet connection which generally comes in over a ethernet LAN cable, such as the connection from the likes of a UPC cable modem. You do not want a router with an ADSL modem, as this is design to work off a telephone line not an ethernet connection.

Something like this would do the trick:-
    http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/routers/20042236/d_link_wireless_n_router_dir_615/details.aspx

Yes if you want you can hide a wireless network so it not broadcasting it SSID, so only you should be able to find it. No one else will know its there.

Your other option is to get a small netbook running the likes of windows XP. Plug it into the Ethernet and bridge the Ethernet and wireless connections to make your own mini wifi network.
    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/wxpbrdge.html

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Somebody more expert than me might like to comment on the danger in this situation of adding "double" routing? If the op adds a wireless cable router to a situation where there probably is a router already in place will this not cause problems? Might a simple wireless point not be enough?

dub45 wrote: »
    Somebody more expert than me might like to comment on the danger in this situation of adding "double" routing? If the op adds a wireless cable router to a situation where there probably is a router already in place will this not cause problems? Might a simple wireless point not be enough?

No won't cause a problem. You can have multiple level's of NAT's cascaded and they actually work fine. Have done it many a time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

No won't cause a problem. You can have multiple level's of NAT's cascaded and they actually work fine. Have done it many a time.

Double Nat can be OK for basic internet, browsing etc, but will be problematic for anything that uses uPnP like gaming consoles, Utorrent and Skype as the ports get opened in the first router but blocked beyond that.

Advertisement