Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom illegally charging VAT on cancellation fee

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

IE2012 wrote: »
    update, eircom have now written off the cancellation charges on my account,
    when i queried the VAT charges on it.

Obviously this is a great result for you but I doubt they are going to change the practice. This isssue needs to be followed up on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Hi Guys,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. We have escalated the issue on the 31/07/12 to have an official response drafted.

We should have a reply by early next week.

Sorry again for the wait.

Mark

Any formal policy announcement yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

I doubt eircom or their competitors will broach this subject without a team of lawyers in the room, you know the sort the ones that draw up sharp practice add ons to existing contracts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭baktag

Any formal policy announcement yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Any update?

• Advertisement

I've a feeling they are hoping we will just go away and forget about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭baktag

TheBody wrote: »
    I've a feeling they are hoping we will just go away and forget about this.
    They can hope all they want a few people are waiting on a response

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

talk to joe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Seriously bad PR going on here on behalf of Eircom. Eircom Reps on boards here, can I just ask why you are not replying to these people?; and that is not an invitation to offer the stock 'apologies folks for not getting back sooner with a response to this, but we were waiting further information'!

You obviously monitor these threads as part of you duty and therefore have to be aware of the number of unanswered requests in the thread. Can you not behave in a professional manner and at least offer the courtesy of a reply or some form of an update?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Another few days pass and still silence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Hi Guys,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. We have escalated the issue on the 31/07/12 to have an official response drafted.

We should have a reply by early next week.

Sorry again for the wait.

Mark

Silence since ........ it takes (now nearly) two months to draft up a statement? Yeah! Right!

Something else is going on .....

IE2012 wrote: »
    just sent them an email

Did revenue reply? I think the networks would just like this to go away and I for one dont think it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭SIG

Well done all. This is similar to Electric Ireland's Trying to extort payment for not buying electricity from them and then charging VAT on a non supply / goods. Another example of the Public being screwed.

Honestly eircom. You've absolutely no comment to make on this at all? Nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭thret

Well spotted OP.
    Good to find out!
    Waiting on a reply from Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 iBananas

Hey OP, contact ComReg and ask them to look into it.
    Contact information http://www.askcomreg.ie/about_us/contact_us.26.LE.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

testicle wrote: »
    Anything?

*cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Any update?

eircom are clearly of the 'ignore it and it will go away' school.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Sure we'll just keep bumping it, it's a nice public blot on their copybook. Perhaps a few other threads in Broadband, IrelandOffline, Consumer Issues, etc?

dahamsta still poking eircom after all these years. Who'da thunk it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭UTCGMT01

dahamsta wrote: »
    Sure we'll just keep bumping it, it's a nice public blot on their copybook. Perhaps a few other threads in Broadband, IrelandOffline, Consumer Issues, etc?

query it with revenue, i believe they have received a good few calls about it already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

MadsL wrote: »
    dahamsta still poking eircom after all these years. Who'da thunk it. :D

Hi MadsL

As is usual , all vat collected would be done on instruction of Revenue and would be passed on to them, this would not be initiated by eircom.. The issue, as posted previously, is under investigation but as this is a revenue issue as opposed to a specifically eircom issue I do not have any further information at this time. We will definitely post what ever information becomes available as result of investigation.
    Tony

Hi MadsL

As is usual , all vat collected would be done on instruction of Revenue and would be passed on to them, this would not be initiated by eircom.. The issue, as posted previously, is under investigation but as this is a revenue issue as opposed to a specifically eircom issue I do not have any further information at this time. We will definitely post what ever information becomes available as result of investigation.
    Tony

Is this actually being investigated or is this just a way of fobbing us off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

TheBody wrote: »
    Is this actually being investigated or is this just a way of fobbing us off?

Hi TheBody
    We do not do 'Fobbing off' :eek: and respond to all queries when we can. I had a look at the original document and can see mention of 'European Court of Justice' (ECJ) 'in case C-277/05 Sociéte thermale d’Eugenie-Les-Bains'. and 'Revenue has revised its VAT treatment', this on it's own would seem to point to the fact that no quick answer is likely... :mad: nor could eircom be expected to offically comment on this.
    I have been advised that clarification in this matter has been requested and I will be more than happy to post this here.
    Tony

Hi TheBody
    We do not do 'Fobbing off' :eek: and respond to all queries when we can. I had a look at the original document and can see mention of 'European Court of Justice' (ECJ) 'in case C-277/05 Sociéte thermale d’Eugenie-Les-Bains'. and 'Revenue has revised its VAT treatment', this on it's own would seem to point to the fact that no quick answer is likely... :mad: nor could eircom be expected to offically comment on this.
    I have been advised that clarification in this matter has been requested and I will be more than happy to post this here.
    Tony

Thanks Tony.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Any response yet? *cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭markad1

Just read this. ... very interesting good spot op

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Nice spot OP, I have a bill from meteor that inc. vat of 455,

So I feel I shouldn't be paying the vat for a cancelled product

Advertisement