Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Start the clock !

Options
  • 30-07-2012 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

Just submitted application for substitution, also applied for mod so submitted a letter with it. Interesting to see how long it takes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭EP90

Dealer I purchased from told me 10 days, it actual took 6 weeks !!Doesn’t seem to be any hard and fast rule regarding efficiency. Hope you do better than me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

EP90 wrote: »
    Doesn’t seem to be any hard and fast rule regarding efficiency.
    It's meant to be carried out within a "Timely Fashion". This is said to be 14 days, but varies something terrible depending on time of year, and district.

For years i've gotten my subs back within a week to 10 days at most. however the last one, under new FO, took 5 weeks.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Boiled-egg

Two weeks, no sign yet ! Rang FO today, but he was not there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭lb1981

Boiled-egg wrote: »
    Two weeks, no sign yet ! Rang FO today, but he was not there.
    Welcome to my world lad:D , took 2 months for my last sub..i think the FO only work a half day every forthnight because anytime you ring they are not in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

Ezridax wrote: »
    It's meant to be carried out within a "Timely Fashion". This is said to be 14 days, but varies something terrible depending on time of year, and district.

For years i've gotten my subs back within a week to 10 days at most. however the last one, under new FO, took 5 weeks.

Me too, its usually 'reasonably' quick. current application is about 2 weeks but around the time of the change, I waited about 9 months for a renewal but got a decent apology from the FO as well as he made a mistake.

Hopefully it will get faster this time and we will all get new licences that bit quicker. Last time I was in possession of or illegally held firearms for about 9 months after submitting and i could get a letter.

Least its getting better now and hopefully the renewals will fly out to us this year :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Bit of knowledge and persistence is a powerful thing;)
    Found ringing the Super's office to be most helpful; the local station or district office has no sway.
    Two weeks in and getting tetchy. Got a number to speak directly to the Super's secretary who put me straight thru to the FO. Cue massive backlog of applications, 3 months for Super to make a decision blah blah blah. Had a bit of a chat about the "guideline" and why I needed the new rifle, hunting and shooting in general. Had my sub within the next 7 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

You may prepare to be patient. I put in my sub about two months ago. Every time I ring I'm told the exact same thing..."oh it's in my hand I'm doing it now you'll have it during the week." Getting sick of Garda inefficiency tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭lb1981

lefthooker wrote: »
    Bit of knowledge and persistence is a powerful thing;)
    Found ringing the Super's office to be most helpful; the local station or district office has no sway.
    Two weeks in and getting tetchy. Got a number to speak directly to the Super's secretary who put me straight thru to the FO. Cue massive backlog of applications, 3 months for Super to make a decision blah blah blah. Had a bit of a chat about the "guideline" and why I needed the new rifle, hunting and shooting in general. Had my sub within the next 7 days.
    And i was saying your going to have trouble with my old mate Bill, you must have caught him on a good day.Got back on to them today and her shift doesnt start till tuesday so asked for the supers secretary and she is out sick this week:rolleyes: like they are all having a joke at my exspence...sure the new pre populated forms came today for the shotguns ,223 and the .22 i dont even own anymore..clowns.. i am really sorry its taking this long but i am ringing and pushing all the time i might just have to send a scud off soon, the last time i was talking to them i was told it was approved it just had to be put on file and was missing a signiture from my local FO,going to get on to the park tommorow and lodge a complaint.

Hopefully you will hear something soon.

My new application for a license on another gun was moved to the next stage today as I got a grant letter.

It was quick as its wont be two weeks until this Friday since I got receipt.

Fingers crossed yours will move fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Boiled-egg

Phone call from FO today, all sorted grant letter in the post, now what do I do next. Do I go to the post office or is the substitution licence just posted out as well?

• Advertisement

Phone call from FO today, all sorted grant letter in the post, now what do I do next. Do I go to the post office or is the substitution licence just posted out as well?

Congratulations! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

....... now what do I do next. Do I go to the post office or is the substitution licence just posted out as well?
    As a substitution the new license is sent out.

If you receive a grant letter they have processed it as a new application/license. While you still get the license it means that the old license on your traded gun is still active. The only way to remedy that is to cancel the old license, but that still leaves you with an €80 fee to pay at the post office.

So make sure the next letter you receive is the actual license. If it's a grant letter contact your FO, and explain it was a sub, and not a new application. As said other than the €80 there are other factors to "fix" if it was done wrong.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭snipe02

dropped one in thurs eve got it back in post 1st thing this morn, big up for kilkenny fo

Advertisement