Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target Archery

Options
  • 30-07-2012 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

I was on here years ago looking to find a target archery club but it never really happened.

Just wondering if anyone has heard of a club in the Waterford area? Looking at it in the olympics reminded me that I'd love to have a go. The archery.ie website shows a big gap around the south east so Ive a feeling the closest club might be in KK.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

I'd love to know this as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

One of the guys in work tells me there is a place on the Industrial Estate that does it. It's in the new-ish section behind John Kelly's.
    Na Laoch Dall Archery Club.
    They meet Tuesday and Thursday 7-10.
    I see that they have a Facebook page, but I can't view it in work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

Any idea of the prices? I always wanted to learn :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

MOC88 wrote: »
    Any idea of the prices? I always wanted to learn :pac:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Na-Laoch-Dall-Archery-Club/148447651855240

http://nalaochdall.com (doesnt seem to be loading for me hmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Yeah target archery is good fun i did it for a while, you would start off with a basic bow and get used to firing that and then usually you can go annd buy your own bow but they can be expensive so id definitely try it out for a while before you go buy any gear for it.

• Advertisement

Just sent em a message on their facebook page, hopefully they're still active and will get back to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Seem to be mainly long bows in the pics. Do you rent them? If I turned up with a compound bow would that matter? One of me mates has a compund he paid over a grand for it. It's right handed which left me with some welt all down me arm one day but ill get used to it. Some craic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

Ardaire Springs near Mooncoin does Archery.

Here is the link..... http://www.ardairesprings.com/contact-us.php

Got a message back from Na Laoch Dall Archery Club with a phone number to give em a ring. Will call em tomorrow and post back results!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

..Brian.. wrote: »
    Got a message back from Na Laoch Dall Archery Club with a phone number to give em a ring. Will call em tomorrow and post back results!

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

Beautiful Bows on the Quay, think its called macs outdoor shop, ive been in there a good few times to get stuff for Airsoft and he always has a nice selection ....

So here the story is;

They shoot Tuesday and Thursday nights up in the Waterford Business Park. Thursdays is beginners, Tuesdays more for club members.

To begin with you need to complete a beginners course. It's 6 to 8 sessions at 1.5 hours per session. The course costs €100 and all equipment is supplied by the club. After you've completed your beginners course you will know how to use the bow correctly and be competent enough to shoot on your own.

If you decide archery is for you you can become a full member. Annual membership costs €100 and covers your registration with the ruling body (can't remember what its called, Irish Field Archery Association or something), insurance and club membership. You can then go Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7pm - 10pm and it will only cost €6 for the week. You can carry on using club equipment if you like.

Kitting yourself out will cost about €250 - €300 to begin with although you will always need to be buying arrows due to breakage.

I think that's about everything. The club itself has about 25 full time members from all walks of life. The indoor range is the biggest indoor range in Europe! The guy I spoke to running it seems dead on as well. Will be heading up for a half hour or so on Tuesday evening to get a look at the place, check out facilities, meet the members etc so will report back again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

This sounds very promising. I'd be into getting handy and maybe doing some robbing of the rich and giving to the poor once I become proficient.

Seriously, thanks for the info and if Tues goes well I might take a trip up myself.

So went down last Thursday evening for a look. Ended up staying a few hours and getting some basic lessons and a go of a few different bows. They seem like a really nice group of people, will defo be going again. Their beginners classes are booked up at the moment and between our schedule and theirs it will be second half of September before we go up again but can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

You might post up when the beginners are free. It's the one event that really surprised me at how much I enjoyed it in the Olympics. I'd Love to give it a crack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Wow, this sounds good, did archery a few times as a youngster and was kinda handy at it...might be interesting...

As an aside does anyone know of a target shooting/air rifle club in Waterford, did that once or twice and was handy too, would love to give that a good go

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭TeRmInAlCrAzY

Called in last night. Extremely professional outfit, very helpful, great bunch of lads n lasses. I shot for more than 2 hours, was completely wrecked by the end of the evening. I am definitely going back.

Advertisement