Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Questions

• 30-07-2012 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Recently I decided to move schools and I will be going straight to 5th year. I just wasn't happy in my old school I found it hard to concentrate for my whole junior cert and I am not looking forward to my results because I dropped down to ordinary level in the subjects I am good at.

Anyway enough about that I just have a few questions that I'm hoping some people on here can answer for me.

1. Does the things you learn in the junior cert come up in the leaving cert?

2. Is the LCVP good for getting points?

3. How much points do you need to be a nurse?

4. If you did an ordinary level subject for junior but want to do it in higher can you do it?

EXTRA

Oh and if i forgot to mention in the new school has transition year so I'm basically going to 4th year.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭MWick94

1. Some of the Junior Cert things can be on the Leaving Cert, but they are typically in much greater detail.
    2. In LCVP, as far as I am aware, the max amount of points you can get is 70.
    3. Points for being a nurse vary depending on what college you are looking at. Check the college requirements on the respective websites.
    4. If you want to do higher, most schools would take your JC ordinary level grade into consideration. If you did well, they would probably let you. Higher level at Leaving Cert can be difficult, but with enough work, it shouldn't be too tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

The only subjects you wouldn't be able to do HL in after doing OL would be subjects that follow on from JC really...I mean, people pick up things like business. JC History and geography is irrelevant to LC for the most part. Maths, Irish, French, maybe even sciences, would probably not be good to go up a level in unless you did 4th year and caught up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

Hey, first off well done for changing schools if you weren't happy. 1.To be honest there isn't a huge overlap between Junior Cert and Leaving Cert, the skills like studying effectively etc. are the things that you should take from your Junior Cert. I kept most of my J.C. books thinking I'd use them in Fifth Year; I didn't...not once.

Of course Junior Cert science is helpful if you want to do Biology, Chemistry or Physics. You'll most likely need biology to be a nurse. I'd advise you to look at nursing courses in a college prospectus, make sure you meet the entry requirements i.e. pick subjects that you need to get into your course.

The Junior Cert prepares you for the Leaving Cert by giving you a foundation to your Leaving Cert subjects (most anyway) but beware, it is much more detailed for L.C. L.C. questions are much more exact too, not as broad and more information needed.

2. L.C.V.P. is only good for points if you put the work in. Most of the marks are going for the portfollio so you need to have it up to scratch. This subject is time consuming but is a good one to fall back on because the written examination is only worth 40%. The portfollio is worth the other 60%.

3. As others have said, points for nursing vary from college to college, year to year. Points are calcuated in relation to interest in that course, the people applying set the points. What I mean by that is if 100 people applying for a course and there's 50 places, the 50 people with the higher points will get the course. You can also do Nursing through a PLC. Nursing is popular so the points are kind of high, usually in the 400 points plus mark I think.

4. You could definitely ask them to let you try Higher Level, explain your situation. It varies on the school if they'll let you. There's no department rules against taking the Higher Level paper for L.C. even if you did Ordinary Level for J.C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

1. As others have mentioned, yes but in more detail e.g. in geography a J.C. question might be "Describe the formation of a feauture of fluvial erosion" for which you write about 4 or 5 good points with a diagram but for the exact same question in the L.C. you'd have to write up to 15 good points. The only subject where I continued to use my JC book as well as my LC book though was RE because it went into greater detail than my LC book in relation to certain rites/ festivals in various world religons. A good foundation in the JC is more essential in some subjects more than others e.g. the LC history course is very different than the JC course as it focuses completely on early or late modern history (depending on which syllabus your teacher follows). Whereas in German or Irish thorough JC knowledge is vital!

2. Only if you have only 5 or less HL subjects. Most of my friends who did it regretted doing it and 3 dropped out of it at the end of 5th year. I didn't do it though so I can't be of much help here!

3. You can check out points for courses on individual universities' websites or at www.qualifax.ie

4. In my school you weren't allowed do this in Irish or German but you were in others if you were really commited but I'd say it would vary from school to school.

Advertisement