Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For the love of GOD - can your business banking site

Options
  • 30-07-2012 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

I have been with business banking on BOI for 6 months now and am literally fit to be tied.

It is the single most useles archaic, unusable, ridiculous, half baked attempt at a self service website.

If there were internet website police, they would shut it down for being horrifically unusable, unstable and unbelievably bug ridden. Having worked nearly 30 years in IT and much of that in financial services, I have to say that this site and its functionality is a travisty. Frankly, I dare a single developer who was involved in the design, concept or creation of this momentus blunder to put their hand up -- (no seriously, dont, you will never work in the industry again!)

Leaving aside the bucket load of usernames and passwords the site makes you remember....

Completely ignoring that lack of compatibility with modern browsers....

Forgetting about the horriffic usability and impossible navigation / functionality....

Disregard the fact that nearly everything you do involves a call to the help desk to have them tell you the "hack" or "secret trick" to make a certain button or function work....

Dismiss the fact that people on the help desk (albeit pleasent people), have absolutely no ability to intervene in times of crisis and do things for you. If the site is broken and you have only 1 minute before a critical payment deadline, you have two choices, wait a couple of days for the problem to be resolved (involving calls from different people -- when it suits them) or give up, shut down your business and tell those to whom you owe money to 'speak to the reciever'.....

Ignore about 1,000,000 other problems that this half baked excuse for an e-business site suffers.....

Then after all that, you want to charge a monthly FEE for subjecting business users to this daily/weekly/monthly online trial of patience, cunning (as you try to get into the mind of the original developer of the functionaliy in efforts to decrypt the obscure logic that s/he applied to achieving the most mundane and trivial task).........

Oh wait, I got lost in my rant above.....I nearly forgot to ask you for help with my latest problem.....

It would appear that my digital cert password has expired. When I enter the password, I first get prompted with a popup containing incomplete instructions.

boi1.png

Secondly, when I dismiss these, I am then given a puzzle to solve (presumably before I can change my password?)....

boi2.png

Maybe you could tell me the rest of the hidden message on the first screen. Maybe it has a clue to the puzzle on the second?

Actually, better still, could you tell me the solution to the puzzle, I have invoices outstanding that I need to get paid. Naturally, I have tried all combinations of usernames and passwords (new, old, etc...etc...), but no matter what I type into this screen, the twirley, spinney doodah just sits there and never returns an error or a message.

If I can only figure out how to get around this puzzle, maybe I could get my cert password changed and get some real work done.

NOTE: To those looking at the second image, yes, it does appear that way on screen. Its corrupted and un-readable. No, the window cannot be resized as its locked down by the parent page.

Looking forward to your advice.

Jab
    PS - Please, for the love of GOD, will someone please pull the plug on this site. Maybe keep a copy so that it can be put in a museem someday. However, make sure to clearly label it as "Year 2012" as future historians would likely mistake its vintage for something circa late 1980 otherwise.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi jabaroon,

Thank you for your frank feedback and honest assessment of our Business On Line service. We understand your concerns and our customers' need for an improved service. Your comments have been forwarded to our development team for consideration. While a revamp of the system is something that is very much in our plans, we don't have a timeframe as yet.

To return to your query, there is a technical issue with the prompt screen that appears when you're asked to change your Digital Cert password. When the prompt screen appears, asking you to change the password, please click OK to close this screen. Then click on Admin, select Change Password and finally choose Digital Cert Password. You can then change the Digital Cert password on this screen.

I hope this helps and thanks again for your feedback; it is much appreciated.
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

Hi,

Thanks for the info. Yes, that solution did indeed work with respect to changing the cert password. I know that there is no need for me to explain how frustrating it was/is that "support" is required to do something so trivial!

I appreciate that you have passed the feedback to the relevant teams and I hope that the level of disatisfaction and passionate hatrid for the service has not been lost in the translation of the message.

Although I appreciate that BOI have stated on many occasions that there is a shiny new version in the works, this statement seems to get uttered all too often with the ‘no firm date’ caveat attached. With all due respect to the intent of your statement, my many years of working in this industry leaves me confident that this type of statement generally means:
    - We would like to, but have no budget allocated yet
    - We started, but had our budget withdrawn
    - We are chipping away, but this is not a high priority, so development teams are regularly pulled onto higher priority tasks meaning progress is non-existant

I postulate that more than one of the above could reasonably be the case with the mythical BOI Business Online replacement project. Again, if there were active work on-going or even active plans, there would be a target end date. The days of “it will cost what it costs” in this economy (and particularly financial services) are long gone. If a budget were allocated or a team assembled, the project would have an end date. Typical software industry ‘due diligence’ would – naturally -- require that you add a number of months (or even quarters) to the estimate before you would publicise the ‘expected launch date’.

Considering the above, I would like to suggest that BOI step up and either state an intended launch date, or admit that there isnt really a momentum behind a new Business Banking on-line offering. At least if you are honest with your customers, they can make an informed decision:

a) Put up with BOI knowing that it probably isn’t going to get better before housing prices return to their 2007 highs, or
    b) Shut up and move thier business elsewhere. Maybe the grass isn’t greener?

Regards,
    Jab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi Jab,

Thanks for your further comments. I can assure you that the internal programme to upgrade our business internet banking channel is very much a reality and a priority. Business On Line will be upgraded to a new application as part of a phased delivery. Much of this is expected to occur during 2013. This upgrade will aim to enhance customer usability and encompass our requirements under SEPA. If you would like to discuss this further please pm us with your contact details and we will organise a call-back for you.

Thank you again for your interest and comments.
    Thanks
    Linda

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

On the subject of Business Oniine, is there any timeframe of when it will be supported on a Mac (Safari etc), hard to believe in this day and age that it still only works using Microsoft Explorer.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭friend and foe

Hi jabaroon,

Thank you for your frank feedback and honest assessment of our Business On Line service. We understand your concerns and our customers' need for an improved service. Your comments have been forwarded to our development team for consideration. While a revamp of the system is something that is very much in our plans, we don't have a timeframe as yet.

To return to your query, there is a technical issue with the prompt screen that appears when you're asked to change your Digital Cert password. When the prompt screen appears, asking you to change the password, please click OK to close this screen. Then click on Admin, select Change Password and finally choose Digital Cert Password. You can then change the Digital Cert password on this screen.

I hope this helps and thanks again for your feedback; it is much appreciated.
    Graham

Jabaroon, i understand your feelings completely. i had the misfortune of working on the helpdesk for a number of years, and it is indeed a complete cluster**** of a system.

Re Graham, that is the standard company line that has been dished out for AT LEAST five years and more to frustrated customers. whilst working there, we (the staff) were given numerous deadlines for when the system would be upgraded, which kept being pushed back further and further until we were all but told plans for a system upgrade had been shelved indefinitely, and it disappoints me greatly to see that this is still the case. In fact one of the reasons i chose to quit working there was because i saw on a day to day basis how little regard bank of ireland has for it's business on line customers. i actually felt sick at their carry on by the time i packed it in.

Jabaroon, my best advice would be to move your accounts to another bank where they actually have a working, up to date website for your business needs. if you have any other queries, please pm me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭friend and foe

also, Re Sheep Shagger, it will work on a mac is you download and run virtual windows, however bank of ireland will not provide any technical support for such a scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭amber2

amber2 wrote: »
    Just to let you know you can register for 365 if you are a sole trader which is a much better and user friendly site and you don't have to pay €15 a month for the privilege. Unfortunately Ltd Companies cannot use 365 but have to use the antiquated business online system and pay the €15 a month charge, but are safe in the knowledge that your hard earned cash us well spent as BOI are providing you with the most up to date technology money can buy & that's where your €15 charge goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

As an impartial third party I just want to say that Permanent TSB has an excellent customer web-banking interface, that probably extends to their business section as well. Maybe you should consider switching and banking with them. They have telephone banking which allows you to talk to a customer care agent within pretty excellent office hours and these people (in my experience) are invariably excellent at sorting out whatever is required of them.

I sound like an ad for TSB or something, but this is just genuine advice. I recommend TSB to friends whenever bank problems come up because the more people on it, the easier it is to transfer money to people and receive transfers in emergencies - my boyfriend and I can send each other money with about ten clicks of the mouse and we'll receive it into our accounts at the exact moment we transfer it! It has been a lifesaver in many a personal potential financial crisis!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Just to let you know you can register for 365 if you are a sole trader which is a much better and user friendly site and you don't have to pay €15 a month for the privilege. Unfortunately Ltd Companies cannot use 365 but have to use the antiquated business online system and pay the €15 a month charge, but are safe in the knowledge that your hard earned cash us well spent as BOI are providing you with the most up to date technology money can buy & that's where your €15 charge goes.

They charge €15 a month for it !?!

That makes it even worse!!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭palmcut

Originally Posted by amber2viewpost.gif
    "Just to let you know you can register for 365 if you are a sole trader which is a much better and user friendly site and you don't have to pay €15 a month for the privilege. Unfortunately Ltd Companies cannot use 365 but have to use the antiquated business online system and pay the €15 a month charge, but are safe in the knowledge that your hard earned cash us well spent as BOI are providing you with the most up to date technology money can buy & that's where your €15 charge goes."

And if you are a sole trader and want to open a joint account with your spouse/partner using 365 then you are not allowed to open such an account.

365 allows different signatures for an account but the account has to be in one name.
    No joint accounts on 365. (Middle ages or what?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

OP, Sorry I can't offer any help, except to remind us that banks (at organisational and employee level) haven't yet grasped the concept of Customer Satisfaction. Admittedly, there are grades of assistance vs. resistance in banks (delighted to read of satisfaction with TSB) but isn't it sad to see that the only way to reduce stone-wall banking traditions is to change bank? And change to where?
    The convention of treating customers as pests was inherited from British banks, where, I can advise, it remains as strong as ever it was. It has been ingrained for generations and those pious spokespeople (above) really should look at how other (successful and respected) industries revolve around customer satisfaction before spouting their cut and pasted platitudes to infuriated customers.
    On-line banking is, to say the least, user hostile. Customer complaints will generate the cut and paste "security" response.....but no action.
    Branch banking is a lottery with inexplicably short opening hours and varying levels of resistance from staff. Customer complaints will generate the "apology" response.....but no action.
    They just don't get it but, in such a closed market, why should they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your thoughts and feedback regarding the service, I have forwarded on your concerns to our Business On Line team.

We would like to address a few of the particular questions.
    is there any timeframe of when it will be supported on a Mac (Safari etc)

The new system, which is due during next year, will be compatible with Mac. At the moment it is possible to use the Business On Line facility using Bootcamp software, however, we do not offer technical support for it. If you contact our Business On Line New Customer team on 01 2361265, they will be able to discuss using Business On Line with Mac in more detail.
    palmcut wrote: »
    And if you are a sole trader and want to open a joint account with your spouse/partner using 365 then you are not allowed to open such an account. 365 allows different signatures for an account but the account has to be in one name. No joint accounts on 365.

You can open a joint personal current account which can be registered on Banking 365. However, it cannot be linked to a sole account and so would have a separate user id and pin number. If you would like to open a joint current account you can contact your branch here.

Thanks
    Linda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi palmcut,

Thank you for your question.

There are a number of savings acounts available.
    Details on these accounts can be found here

You can also call the Lending Department on 1890 354 545 or your Bank of Ireland branch.
    A full list of branch contact details can be found here

Thanks

Billy

Hi palmcut,

Thank you for your question.

There are a number of savings acounts available.
    Details on these accounts can be found here

You can also call the Lending Department on 1890 354 545 or your Bank of Ireland branch.
    A full list of branch contact details can be found here

Thanks

Billy

Thanks for the reply Billy. However I still can't find a joint savings/deposit a/c on 365. I did contact my local branch and they couldn't help. I also contacted 365 and they told me that my spouse and myself could not open a joint deposit account on 365. The reason that I am persisting with this is; that 365 offer a better deposit rate than BOI branch banking.
    Many thanks, Palmcut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi Palmcut,

We currently don't have any joint 365 Online and Phone Savings Accounts. However one or both of the joint account holders on a current account can open a sole 365 Online and Phone Savings Account. The deposits into these accounts can be made from your joint account and can also be viewed on 365Online using the same login details you would use to view your joint account. Each person named on the joint account would only be able to view their own 365 Online and Phone Savings Account when they login to Banking365.

I understand it's not exactly the type of account you are looking for, but it is the closest we would supply.

Thanks
    Pat

Hi Palmcut,

We currently don't have any joint 365 Online and Phone Savings Accounts. However one or both of the joint account holders on a current account can open a sole 365 Online and Phone Savings Account. The deposits into these accounts can be made from your joint account and can also be viewed on 365Online using the same login details you would use to view your joint account. Each person named on the joint account would only be able to view their own 365 Online and Phone Savings Account when they login to Banking365.

I understand it's not exactly the type of account you are looking for, but it is the closest we would supply.

Thanks
    Pat

Hi Pat, thanks for the reply. Your suggestion puts the "ownership" of the deposit into the name of one person. Why can we not open a joint deposit account on 365.?
    Does BOI have a particular reason for not allowing joint deposit/savings accounts on 365?
    many thanks, Palmcut.

Hi palmcut,

I'm looking in to this for you now. I'll post back here as soon as I have more information.

Thanks
    Pat

Hi palmcut,
    palmcut wrote: »
    Does BOI have a particular reason for not allowing joint deposit/savings accounts on 365?

I've been in contact with the Retail Deposits and Current account department in relation to your query.

Unfortunately it is not possible to set up a joint 365 Deposit account due to a technical restriction associated with them, as customers can only log on to 365Online as an individual (not jointly). It is currently not possible to authenticate two different people in a single session at account opening via this channel. If a joint account is required, we offer a wide range of joint account offerings through your branch.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Thanks
    Pat

Hi palmcut,

I've been in contact with the Retail Deposits and Current account department in relation to your query.

Unfortunately it is not possible to set up a joint 365 Deposit account due to a technical restriction associated with them, as customers can only log on to 365Online as an individual (not jointly). It is currently not possible to authenticate two different people in a single session at account opening via this channel. If a joint account is required, we offer a wide range of joint account offerings through your branch.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Thanks
    Pat
    Again, thank you Pat. 365 offers better deposit rates than BOI branch banking. My local branch of BOI were not prepared to offer us the same deposit rate as 365. So we moved and managed to secure a better rate than even 365 was offering.

Hi all,

Just wanted to update you on the below:
    You can open a joint personal current account which can be registered on Banking 365. However, it cannot be linked to a sole account and so would have a separate user id and pin number.

Requests to merge personal sole and joint accounts under a single online User ID will now be assessed by Banking365. Click here for more information.

Thanks,
    Graham

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

Oh for the love of ....... here we go again.....

Main account has become locked out. So need to login as the CUA administrator to reset the account. Enter my CUA user, 1st half, 2nd half password and am told that password has expired and needs to be changed......no problem, I try to change it.

I enter the old password 1st and 2nd....then enter the new password 1st and 2nd, and confirm them.......I get the error:

"Your old first half password must be the same as Password used to login"

IT IS THE SAME YOU UNTESTED PIECE OF JUNK SYSTEM.....

1) I have not typo'd the password, I have checked SEVERAL times
    2) The old and new passwords are correct and verified as correct
    3) I know I am doing it right as I have had to change this password before....

Whats the trick to make this "routine" piece of functionality work on your system? Here's what I have tried so far (none of which have worked....)...
    - Standing on my head while typing the password
    - Pressing they keys on the keyboard using a stick blessed by the local parish priest
    - Singing "Please, please, please, let me get what I want" by the Smiths while typing the passwords
    - Sprinkling 4-leaf clovers around the keyboard before I type in the passwords

So what have I not done?....maybe I need to wait until the night time, bring my iPad outside and wait for a shooting star before I type my password?....oh no wait, that couldn't be it, the site doesnt work on anything other than Internet Explorer and definable not on a tablet that will sell 66m units this year.

Okay, I give up, whats the secret shimmy that I need to do to change my password and re-enable the financial arm of my business?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Laura

Hi jabaroon.

We apologise for the recent issues you have encountered and as always we appreciate your feedback.

We would like to look into this further for you.
    Please PM us with your name, contact number and account holding branch and we will arrange for a representative to give you a call.

Thanks
    Laura

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭ado100

The new system, which is due during next year, will be compatible with Mac.

Oh for heaven's sake - BoI have been telling me this since 1996 when I started my company, in the last 16 years absolutely nothing has been done! I'm sitting here on this wet Monday morning looking at alternative offerings for Business Banking because I've had enough.

Can you provide any hard evidence at all that there is a new Mac compatible online banking system on the way or offer a more realistic timeframe than 'next year', or are you happy to wave goodbye to yet another customer?

Hi ado100,

Currently it's possible to access Business On Line on Mac using virtualisation software, however, we don't offer technical support for it.

If you would like to PM us with your contact details, we'd be happy to arrange a callback to discuss your online business banking needs.

Thanks for getting in touch,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭ado100

Hi ado100,

Currently it's possible to access Business On Line on Mac using virtualisation software, however, we don't offer technical support for it.

If you would like to PM us with your contact details, we'd be happy to arrange a callback to discuss your online business banking needs.

Thanks for getting in touch,
    Graham

Hi Graham,

Thank you for your response. My online banking needs are very simple and haven't changed in the last 16 years - I want a system that works on current Apple Macs that doesn't require me to invest in extra software or a PC to access. Any chance?

Advertisement