Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EMPLOYERS MADE MISTAKE ON CONTRACT- where do i stand

Options
  • 30-07-2012 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi just looking for some help/advise. I signed my employment contract 3 months ago - however the salary was slightly greater in the contract than what was offered at the interview. My employers have only now discovered this error.Do I have a leg to stand on to argue with them. Surely they signed and agreed the salary on the contract and the fact that it was their error should I know be forced to sign new contract with orinigal salary offer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 The Dummy Runner

How much difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 nelkelbb

Approx 200e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

200e a year?

I'm not sure what your rights would be in this situation. But ask yourself this : do you really want to make trouble with a new employer over just over 16e a month before taxes? (so a tenner at most once all is said and done?)

200e a month would be a different matter altogether I guess. But even so, if you only signed the contract 3 months ago you might well still be in probationary period.

I'm not sure I'd be giving them a load of grief in the current climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

If they had made a mistake and put down 200 less on your contract, would you feel justified in asking them to correct it? Would you be annoyed if they didn't honour the original agreement?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 The Dummy Runner

Not worth the hassle for €200!!

• Advertisement

Its 200e a month-not a new job just a different position in company

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

They will be really pissed if you dont sign the new contract. A friend of mine had a mistake on his contract (it was 4 months longer than it should have been). He was on a substantial salary. Employer asked him nicely if he would sign a new contract reducing the job term. He got a solicitor to send a letter saying the contract was binding and he expected it to be honoured. And not surprisingly the company (who didn't force the issue) told him his services were no longer required when the contract expired. If you want to stay in the job cooperate with them. But suggest they could compensate you for the error

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

yeah perhaps sign the new contract, but negotiate that the money already received does not need to be repaid and ask for a set salary review date. I know €200 is a lot of money, but is it worth losing your job over later down the line. And in fact you were not expecting it initially, so accepted the job on the correct terms. If it were me I would sign the new contract, but get it in writing that the 'pay cut' was due to an admin error on the first contract and that you don't have to repay any money already paid to you.

Cheers everyone. good advise- The only thing that is making me mad over the whole thing is the way i was made feel and the way it was put to me- they never said they made a mistake just that I should have told them it was wrong- I was feel like it was my fault and that I robbed them

Advertisement