Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maeve Binchy RIP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I'm genuinely upset to hear this news. I read a few of her books back in the day and enjoyed them but I was more a fan of her and her words of wisdom. Met her once about 10 years ago and she was such a lovely, kind woman with a great outlook. R.I.P Maeve.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Rest in Peace Maeve. She has left a huge legacy in terms of her literature.

Although I wasn't a big fan of her work - Maeve's books brought happiness to many people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Just heard it now on end of Vincent Browne doing the next morning newspapers segment. I never read her books (wouldn't be my cup of tea) but she always made a wonderful interviewee. I always enjoyed listening to her way with words and the way she described things in a witty, Irish mammy, bygone era type of way. She said once that a lot of inspirations for her plots and characters in her books was from eavesdropping on conversations in cafes, on the Dart etc

May she RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 G.A.Ay

She was a Dub...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Goodbye to a Class Act. RIP Maeve.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Neeson wrote: »
    And she had a long auld life too.

72 these days isn't all that long a life when you consider that the average Irish woman's life expectancy is now around 80 and more people are living into their 90s and to 100 than ever before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Awh, didn't know she was ill. She seemed like a lovely lady. I'm always wary of chatting to people in cafes as it was her that said she got all her ideas from sitting in cafes listening to other peoples conversations!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

JupiterKid wrote: »
    72 these days isn't all that long a life when you consider that the average Irish woman's life expectancy is now around 80 and more people are living into their 90s and to 100 than ever before.
    Yeh relatively early age to die in this day and age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

mawk wrote: »
    wow, I cant believe she was 72. I would have put money on her being around 50

Yeah, I loved her books after being made read them in school.

I thought she was about 60, still 72 is still too young.

RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Don't read much, but I've bought loads of her books, the missus simply adores her style of writing and has a book shelf just of her books.

R.I.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Am I missing something? What was so bad about the OP or was something removed from it that I missed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

stovelid wrote: »
    Am I missing something? What was so bad about the OP or was something removed from it that I missed?

They didn't like the use of the word dead I think. I dunno. I didn't remove anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭WhimSock

Probably a little blunt for someone who dedicated their life to the art of writing. Not majorly offensive though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Jacksquat

R.I.P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

WhimSock wrote: »
    Probably a little blunt for someone who dedicated their life to the art of writing. Not majorly offensive though.

It wasn't classy enough for 27 people so far. I wouldn't have thought Maeve would've wanted a classy death.

Maybe I should have added a bit of colour to the OP and a couple of smilies to send her on her way to heaven.

Edit: 29 people

Edit: 41 people

Edit: 45 people

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Probably a little blunt for someone who dedicated their life to the art of writing. .

There's usually enough genuinely disrespectful posts about the dead in these threads without people getting into sanctimony competitions about phrasing.

Don't mean you obviously.

I'm taking the OP at face value and assuming it was genuine of course but it doesn't read otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The Guardian did a nice piece : http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/jul/31/maeve-binchy-irish-writer-dies?newsfeed=true

RIP Maeve!

For someone who'd sold 40 million copies of her books which were translated into 30 languages, she always seemed like a really down-to-earth, really genuine person. She'll be missed!

Sad, loved her books as a teenager. She had a real insight into human behaviour, deserves the acclaim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,751 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

RIP Maeve Binchy - great Irish lady
    Larianne wrote: »
    Awh, didn't know she was ill.

She died after a short illness, which is usually code for a stroke or a heart attack. Hopefully she didn't suffer long or at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Oh dear. That's sad. She gave so much pleasure to so many people. Never read any of her books. But my wife did.

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭WhimSock

There's usually enough genuinely disrespectful posts about the dead in these threads without people getting into sanctimony competitions about phrasing.

Don't mean you obviously.

I'm taking the OP at face value and assuming it was genuine of course but it doesn't read otherwise.

Yeah I know, I find it heartening that there are no bad things to say about her in this thread (so far) and the only minor bickering is from the way in which the thread was delivered...

Ha. Her last name was Snell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭okiss

I was sorry to read this here that Maeve Binchy has died.
    I enjoyed reading her books over a number of years.
    I heard her being interviewed a few times.
    She never had children but she said that she had nephews and nieces who's company she enjoyed.
    In her interviews she came across as a really nice down to earth women who you would like to have as a friend.
    She said that she enjoyed listing to conversations and meeting new people.
    Her writing I think showed this.
    My sympathy to her husband Gordon Snell and her extended family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Are these threads not supposed to be directed towards the Book of condolences forum? Or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Are these threads not supposed to be directed towards the Book of condolences forum? Or is that just wishful thinking on my part?
    This Year It Will Be Different,

and other stories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Sad news.

R.I.P. Maeve. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Yeah I know, I find it heartening that there are no bad things to say about her in this thread (so far) and the only minor bickering is from the way in which the thread was delivered...

True. Suppose these threads are usually entitled, "Maeve Binchy 1940-2012/R.I.P." or something a little less blunt but you're right about the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

not a trendy writer for guys to like but I read a view of her books and thought they were great.......streets ahead of some of our so called literary giants.

also, her newspaper columns.......her and Nuala O'Faolains, fantastic. I hope there will be an anthology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

RIP Maeve Binchy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Can we say enough already on the OP.........he / she didnt say anything disrespectful, and the point is well and truly made ten times over now.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Who?
    She wrote the Binchy Code.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

She reached audiences all over the world :

Lots of memorials appearing in the international media.

http://www.lemonde.fr/disparitions/article/2012/07/31/l-ecrivaine-irlandaise-maeve-binchy-meurt-a-72-ans_1740406_3382.html

(Front page of Le Monde's website)

ABC Australia : http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-07-31/writer-maeve-binchy-dies-aged-72/4165766

Dutch Public TV NOS News : http://nos.nl/artikel/400739-schrijfster-maeve-binchy-overleden.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Never read one of her novels, but there was a short book she wrote on getting through illnesses, which was full of humorous anecdotes and which sat on the shelf just outside the bathroom when I was younger. For a time when I was a young 'un, it became my primary toilet reading material, and it always made me smile. You could tell the person she was from the way she wrote. RIP Maeve Binchy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Ha. Her last name was Snell!

Eh - no it was Binchy!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

mods can you change the title of this thread, bit disrespectful

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

RIP to a great author, I read many of her books. Was just listening to Pauline McGlynn on the radio, she was saying Maeves house was called Polly Villa lol, brilliant! A warm generous woman by all accounts, we've lost a little bit of Ireland with her passing x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Never read her books but I liked her character, she had a breezy live and let live attitude and unlike her brother didn't ever try to tell anyone how to live their lives in modern Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,647 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

RIP to a great Irish writer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

glad to see the original heading has been changed - it was a bit uncouth.

Loved her books - typical summer reading, light, airy and you could get lost in the story.

will miss any future books she would have written - she seemed like a nice lady too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭abacus120

RIP maeve,adored all her books and am so sorry to hear of her passing,she will live on through all her wonderful novels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I remember reading 'Circle of Friends' as a young teenager and mitching school when the film came to our local cinema in the mid 90s. Happy days :):):)

Maeve will live on through her books.

RIP Maeve Binchy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

A lovely writer and a lovely lady. Sad news.

What am I going to buy the wife for her birthday if there are no more books coming out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,560 ✭✭✭Heroditas

What am I going to buy the wife for her birthday if there are no more books coming out?

Amanda Brunker books! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

saw on t 3 news a few mins ago that there's a new book due to be published in the autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

Sad news. RIP

Her books have always been purchased and thoroughly enjoyed in my house.

A great talent and she always came across as a nice person too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

RIP :(
    one of the first famous people I remember seeing, at her book signing in Easons with my mam years and years ago, cant even remember how old i was :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

A great loss to Irish short story story writing and literature in general. RIP Meave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

RTE are showing Maeve Binchy: At Home in the World tonight (Tues) on RTE 1 @ 10:05pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 airdance

gah! Is there any way someone could post it to youtube or the like? my mum's been dying to see it ever since 2010 but we can't get RTE... :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement