Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving toddler to a bed

Options
  • 30-07-2012 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭

The olympics must be having an influence, she just catapulted herself out of the cot. I think it's time to move to a bed. Nearly 17 months old, so about as clued into danger as a puppy on speed.

We only have the cot and a double bed in the house, so I'll have to buy something. She has never slept in our bed, she thinks it functions mainly as trampoline.

What do I get that she will stay in, and if she rolls out, won't hurt her? And where is a good place to get it?

Or do people just put a mattress on the ground by the cot for them to land on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Hi pwurple

Mine went into double beds at 2yrs, no choice too much jumping out of cot. (not twins they just followed same pattern)

i had double against wall and I put a very huge teddy on out side, you could also use one of those bed dividers on the otherside so they less likely to fall out.
    A friend of mine put cot mattress on floor so baby would land on mattress before floor.

But really I had to stay with them til they fell asleep, then arrange teddies so they would fall first and I would hear them amybe;)

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

You can get small beds in Ikea which can be made bigger as they grow. The good thing is they are very low so if they fall out they don't have far to go.

We got an Ikea cot which converts into a bed. It's practically on the ground which is a nuisance for lifting an 11kg baby out but hopefully it'll work well as a bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

We put ours into a double bed pwuple...like you all we had was the cot and a double bed...but no way was I getting rid of a double and spending money on a bed he'd only use for a few years.

So...we bought a kind of gate for the side of the bed....it kind of hooks under the mattress...i'll get a link. As the 'gate' only covers portion of the bed and it might be quite high for her/him you could put the cot mattress on the floor where the gate ends to cushion her if she climbs out?

http://www.mothercare.com/Mothercare-Soft-Folding-Bed-Guard/422492,default,pd.html?cm_sp=ProductFeatures-_-Category%20landing-_-Mothercare%20Soft%20Folding%20Bed%20Guard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Thanks guys. That gate is like something we were given as a pressie, but it seems to need a single bed to hook under. I'll take another look.

My back isn't the best alright, so putting her into bed onto a very low mattress will be a pain now that I think of it.

Did you do anything like start naps in the bed before moving nighttime in, or did you just switch one day?

The one we have just slides under the mattress, so it fits on any bed. We bring it on sleepovers and on holidays, single beds, double beds it fits anywhere :D The other side is up against the wall and he sleeps up against the gate would you believe :D

We just got the room ready and put him in. We had prepared him for weeks in advance, telling him his room was nearly ready etc etc. Not sure if there were ways of doing it....took forever for him to settle, often we'd find him sitting on the landing at 10pm, quiet as a mouse! But I think some kids take to it differently. I know friends of mine just moved the kid in and had no problems whatsoever.

I just thought, as your child is so young, I wonder is the gate a good idea for you....if she's climbing out of the cot, I wonder what would stop her climbing over the gate?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We have ours in a sleeping bag which stops him getting out of the cot.
    problem is that he learnt to unzip it:eek:

That's an excellent idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

She's in a sleeping bag already. Makes no difference for some reason. She sticks her toes right into the bottom corners, so it's no impediment at all to her. She can run and climb away in them. Great training for future sack races, not so good for keeping her in a cot. I've a pile of pillows outside the cot now just in case. I run the legs off her when I get home form work, so she is flat out by bedtime, too tired to climb. And I'm trying to get in there the second she wakes in the morning, pre-jumping.

I think we're going to go for the double bed pushed up to the wall, with a barrier on the outside. I've never put any blankets or pillows in the cot, just had her in her sleeping bag all the time. I guess I should continue that? Or maybe find a small pillow somewhere.. hmm.

Yeah....I'd say keep it the same way you have in the cot...I can't remember what we did truth be told....the whole experience was so traumatising :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

What we did was have the bed against the wall , then put a folded towel unter the mattress the other side , that way our daughter would roll away from the side of the bed . She only fell out once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Claire de Lune

Hi there,

Our son also went from his cot to a double bed, we bought these http://www.magicbumpers.com/

Very happy with them, he's never fallen out of bed, and they are easy to bring when we stay over at relatives or on holidays!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

We made a huge deal out of our fella moving into a 'big boy bed' , let him pick a 'diggers' duvet set and no little aclimatisers required, took to it like a duck to water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

we moved our daughter into a bed around the same time,

we bought her this bed:

http://www.harveynorman.ie/richmond-single-bedroom-package-3ft.html

and put it up against a wall also handy to keep teddies on the bed and they act as a cushion between her and the wall! the good thing about it is its so low to the floor that even if she fell out of it she won't hurt herself. (and the storage underneath has come in handy as those flat-ish storage boxes roll underneath)

we then put this:
    http://www.lindam.com/product/bed-rails/safety/safe-and-secure-soft-bed-rail--pink.html

on the other side as it was soft and we picked it up for €5 in tesco (due to a wrong price i reckon) it also reclines out so you aren't breaking your back leaning over it, and its handy if you read bedtime stories so you can lie next to them.

there are also toddler beds, but i don't think they last too long!

http://www.toys.ie/Search/Shop_Product_List.aspx?Profile=Euro&query=beds

Advertisement