Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to build a house for under €70,000?

Options
  • 31-07-2012 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi lads my mam is being offered for her house from a regeneration area 70,000 euro were not seeing much nice houses around for this price so just wondering if its possible to buy land cheaply under 5,000 and then build a house on it from timber,bricks whatever really any advice get back to me thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Like any construction, price, quality (including size, shape, level of finish, etc.) and time are the three main variables. Increase one and the adjust accordingly.

One person's €70,000 house is another's mansion and is another's hovel.

If this is the regeneration authority offering the money, how come they aren't offering re-housing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Buying land in Ireland is ridiculously expensive. It's really only worth building a house if you already have land, unless you can get a really good deal. Location, location, location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

No, I'm sorry it's not possible. The land alone could cost upwards of 30,000. Even the smallest most basic house would cost 100,000 to build excluding site costs.

70,000 is not such a great deal as it is impossible to buy or build a decent house for that money in a town. Maybe if she was willing to move to Leitrim or Cavan she might buy something. Can you negotiate with the regeneration company for more money or to be rehoused?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 dee44

No, I'm sorry it's not possible. The land alone could cost upwards of 30,000. Even the smallest most basic house would cost 100,000 to build excluding site costs.

70,000 is not such a great deal as it is impossible to buy or build a decent house for that money in a town. Maybe if she was willing to move to Leitrim or Cavan she might buy something. Can you negotiate with the regeneration company for more money or to be rehoused?

agree with stillwaters, the site alone could cost up to the 70k never mind the costs of building the house! doesnt seem like much of a fair deal to be offered 70k, mind you if your mother sold the house right now what are houses in the area selling for? If the 70k is above that then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

clarbar wrote: »
    Hi lads my mam is being offered for her house from a regeneration area 70,000 euro were not seeing much nice houses around for this price so just wondering if its possible to buy land cheaply under 5,000 and then build a house on it from timber,bricks whatever really any advice get back to me thanks!!

Build it out of cob - it'll take more time but can definetly be done for under €70,000

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 96 ✭✭bull_ring

dee44 wrote: »
    agree with stillwaters, the site alone could cost up to the 70k never mind the costs of building the house! doesnt seem like much of a fair deal to be offered 70k, mind you if your mother sold the house right now what are houses in the area selling for? If the 70k is above that then...

the days of the 70 k sites are long gone , half that would be closer to the norm

Advertisement