Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAN BCW IRELAND TAKE YOU TO COURT??

Options
  • 31-07-2012 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

i keep getting phone calls and letters from bcw debt collectors saying that i owe money to electric ireland and they are bringin me to court... i am a student who would not be able to pay off this debt or afford to be brought to court. im not even sure that i was still in the rental accomodation when this bill was meant to be "unpaid" but i unfortunately have no way of proveing it.

i am really scared because i am trying to pay off 5,000 in college fees and cant afford for this to happen.

BCW are really scaring me.

i dont know what to do
    can anyone help me??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭mrwhimwham

The same happened to me when my "friends" stung me with the bills from the house we shared. I rang citizens information and they told me to pay my share and no more. You should give them a ring to see what your rights are. Especially if you feel they are harassing you. In the end the company just left me be and nothing more came of it. If it's a small amount, they won't bring you to court, as it would cost more than the bill itself is worth.

Hope this helps, cause god knows, it can be very stressful with them breathing down your neck the whole time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

BCW can't take anyone to court as they don't own the debt, your contract is solely with Electric Ireland so only deal with them.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

BCW can't take anyone to court as they don't own the debt, your contract is solely with Electric Ireland so only deal with them.
    And DO deal with them. Don't ignore this debt. Talk to them and figure out whats going on. Explain your side and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

The way most companies like this do it is they have their solicitors act on behalf of the client. So BCW's solicitors may take you to court on behalf of Electric Ireland.

Engage with them and sort something out as can end up in court, no one wants that to happen but bills need to be paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

and remember, you are only a student, so have many many years of requiring electricity ahead of you, so rather than have problems later where they will insist on big deposits, its better to come to an arrangement now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement