Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat with ear mites

• 31-07-2012 2:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭

Hi guys
    I got a little kitten on Friday and just noticed today that he has what looks like ear mites...dark waxy dirt in his ears and he is constantly scratching and shaking his head poor thing:(
    My question is I was going to take him to The Blue Cross on Wednesday to get his shots, would they be able to treat this too? I really haven't the money to go to my vets as they charge an arm and a leg :(and I'm out of work.I'm also trying to keep some money by to get him neutered and chipped. Also have heard a lot about this Thornit ear powder. What do be people think of it? I might buy some and treat my 3 semi-ferals too just in case.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I've never heard of the ear powder. Well done on taking on puss. I'd wait until you take him to the Blue Cross and get their advice on treatment for the ears, just to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I've never heard of the powder, any time I've given treatment for ear mites its been the advocate spot on, covers worms (except tape worms), fleas, lice and mites including ear mites. I think the spot on is roughly 8ish euro but I'm not sure if the vet will give it at the same time as the vaccines or if you can give it to a young kitten, it'll depend on his weight. It works quite well though. In the mean time if you can clean out his ears with one part cooled boiled water and one part white vinegar, and some cotton wool to get rid of the waxy build up I'm sure it would give him some relief, though he may not appreciate it! Edit: IF you do go cleaning out his ears, warm up the fluid to body temp. Not a nice shock to have cold liquid in your ears!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

When we rescued out kitty, she was riddled with ear nites. We used cotton wool soaked in olive oil to wipe her ears out til we got her treated. The vet actually syringed her ears while she was unconscious being neutered, then he gave us Canaural drops which worked a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Thanks guys. I cleaned his ears gently with a bit cotton wool soaked in warm water. They are very sore and tender looking but he is not scratching as much today. Blue Cross is in my area tomorrow so will take him.
    Of course I had to put a pic up of the little cutie:D His name is Jasper
    306468_10151003204094947_1810534525_n.jpg

He is a bit scrawny looking am trying to fatten him up any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Has he been wormed? If not, get a worm dose at the blue cross and once his worms pass he should thrive on any kitten food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Has he been wormed? If not, get a worm dose at the blue cross and once his worms pass he should thrive on any kitten food.
    Thanks yea wormed him last night and got an earwash for him today his poor ears are filthy. Tryin to get the earwash into the other 3 is a nightmare 1 down and a lot of scratches on my arms:eek:

Advertisement