Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Please? Broadband Straffan

Options
  • 31-07-2012 6:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hi All,

Have done a search for this but need a little more help please?!

I'm moving to Straffan (KClub) and understand UPC is not an option.
    As much as it pains me i know it'll have to be Eircom.

But i'm thinking of holding out to see will Sky be able to provide a service in this area and so don't want to tie myself into Eircom contract for a couple of months until i see how that pans out.

So, anybody know how the various mobile broadband options work in Straffan?
    Specifically the Vodafone, O2 & Three options, either the regular or high-speed modems.

I know it's a bit specific, but if anyone can help me out i'd really appreciate it.

Thanks very much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Vodafone have a device the R205, portable device €20/month but only a 10GB cap

I've used one before and was ok, not sure of the speed and what it would be like when you start connecting multiple devices to it

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Try Digiweb.
    They have an excellent Metro service in Maynooth and might have service there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Lawros Tache

Thanks Guys for replies.

@Moonbeam -Will get on to DigiWeb and find out, didn't know they were an option. Thanks.

@Lex Luthor -Was looking at that unit, probably looks best of the bunch. Use vodafone mobile at moment so will have idea of coverage. Nice to hear it works though, would only be connecting one laptop so multiple devices not an issue really.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭StrawberryJazz

I'm from the area and the Vodafone home modem works a treat. Was with eircom for a while and it was torture...expensive torture. You'll have a good experience with Vodafone. There is a (relatively) local store in the Vodafone Shop near the Tesco in Monread, Naas.

I'm from the area and the Vodafone home modem works a treat. Was with eircom for a while and it was torture...expensive torture. You'll have a good experience with Vodafone. There is a (relatively) local store in the Vodafone Shop near the Tesco in Monread, Naas.

Hi Strawberry,
    thank you very much for that, very much appreciated.

Could you just specify whether you mean vodafone mobile broadband or the one that runs off eircom's line?
    It' just i dont actually have a phone line in the house and apparently Vodafone cant put one in, only re-connect.
    Which means i'm stuck with eircom as i presume they will insist on a contract in return for putting in a line? From past experience they will not terminate a contract early unless they receive payment in full for the term of the contract.

I use vodafone PAYG mobile at the moment and find it very reliable but obviously not a great solution long-term.
    I got this one from that vodafone shop in Tesco and did indeed find them very helpful.

Thanks again :D

• Advertisement

Could you just specify whether you mean vodafone mobile broadband or the one that runs off eircom's line?
    It' just i dont actually have a phone line in the house and apparently Vodafone cant put one in, only re-connect.
    Which means i'm stuck with eircom as i presume they will insist on a contract in return for putting in a line? From past experience they will not terminate a contract early unless they receive payment in full for the term of the contract.

We did have eircom for a while, and so had the line installed but I think they tried to get us to keep paying them for the line rental after we switched to a Vodafone home line and we basically told them where to go and never had to pay them again. Maybe it would be worth checking out if somebody would install a line for a once off fee. It is worth paying anything to avoid being with eircom. It must be against competition laws etc not to be able to switch providers if Eircom are indeed the only service that can install them. I would have presumed a company as large as Vodafone would have had a line installation service.

We did have eircom for a while, and so had the line installed but I think they tried to get us to keep paying them for the line rental after we switched to a Vodafone home line and we basically told them where to go and never had to pay them again. Maybe it would be worth checking out if somebody would install a line for a once off fee. It is worth paying anything to avoid being with eircom. It must be against competition laws etc not to be able to switch providers if Eircom are indeed the only service that can install them. I would have presumed a company as large as Vodafone would have had a line installation service.

According to Vodafone, Eircom must install the line (vodafone can only do re-connections, not fresh installs) and will try to get you to sign up for contract but ComReg can and will, resist this.

With Vodafone using Eircom's lines were the speeds much of an improvement?
    If so can you say roughly what speeds you were/are getting?

Apologies for all the questions, really appreciate your help.

Thanks

With Vodafone using Eircom's lines were the speeds much of an improvement?
    If so can you say roughly what speeds you were/are getting?

Apologies for all the questions, really appreciate your help.

Thanks

I can't remember the specifics but there was a huge difference in speed and distance (eircom didnt reach the end of the house, but vodafone has 4 bars even in the garden. No problem at all, wish I could be more helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Heffo67

hi lawros theres a local guy who provides broadband in the area and the signal is 100% ive had it for years its up on 24meg now, unlimited downloads the works and its very reasonable priced pm me if you want more details..

Heffo67 wrote: »
    hi lawros theres a local guy who provides broadband in the area and the signal is 100% ive had it for years its up on 24meg now, unlimited downloads the works and its very reasonable priced pm me if you want more details..

Thanks Heffo,
    appreciate that.
    pm sent

Just in case anyone else is wondering, i obviously went with eircom in the end.
    They tested the line and promised speeds of 15mb and while i never achieve that, it is usually 12-13mb and never falls below 10.5mb so very happy with that!
    Far faster than i expected with eircom and service has been much better with them than i have received from them in the past.

Thanks to all

• Advertisement
Advertisement