Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marinara Sauce

• 31-07-2012 8:21am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭

Americans seem to think this sauce is Italian and eaten in Italy, if you went to Italy and asked for it in a restaurant they probably wouldn't have heard of this red slop.

What other things do Americans get wrong about different cultures?

( Not an anti American thread)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Haha too early to be making me laugh.....

I'm not racist but......

Not an anti American thread, but.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Fail.
    Marinara derives from the Italian word for sailor, marinaro. Due to these origins I have seen many people say that marinara sauce must contain something from the sea, usually anchovies. Actually this is not the case, the origins of marinara sauce are that it is the sauce that they made in Naples for the sailors when they returned from the sea.

http://italianchef.com/marinara-sauce/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marinara_sauce

Stupid Americans and their encyclopedias...why I oughtta....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭crybaby

Reminds me of that episodes of the Sopranos where they go to Italy and all aul Paulie Walnuts wants is a bit of spaghetti and gravy but he keeps getting handed traditional Italian food instead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

syndeyfife wrote: »

I'm not racist but......

I'm sure most countries get things wrong about different cultures, but since I'm not really aware of the opinions of the people of Madagascar on Italian cuisine discussing Americans is will have to do.

I'm sure most countries get things wrong about different cultures, but since I'm not really aware of the opinions of the people of Madagascar on Italian cuisine discussing Americans is will have to do.

I really don't know where to start with this much Fail. The enormity of correcting you....agggggghhhhhh.

Oh look, a squirrel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭greenpilot

I'm not racist but......

You never find Italian chippers in Italy either...

In other news, Scotch eggs not Scottish shocker!
    The London department store Fortnum & Mason claims to have invented Scotch eggs in 1738, but they may have been inspired by the Moghul dish nargisi kofta ("Narcissus meatballs")
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_egg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

I though this thread was about marina and the diamonds inventing a sauce ... disappointed i was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

The most obvious one is pepperoni

In Italy this would refer to small peppers , not a type of salami at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Hi im America, but I am also a quarter Irish, quarter French, quarter Italian but I consider myself American Irish because you guys rock...

not an anti American comment

• Advertisement

Davidth88 wrote: »

Just a different name - pepperoni is “salame piccante"

nbar12 wrote: »
    Hi im America, but I am also a quarter Irish, quarter French, quarter Italian but I consider myself American Irish because you guys rock...

Are you dissing the French and Italians pal? What about your secret quarter? Is it shameful? Let me guess, Ginger?

MadsL wrote: »
    Are you dissing the French and Italians pal? What about your secret quarter? Is it shameful? Let me guess, Ginger?

The French are handball cheating b@stards so I don't want to be associated with them. The Italians are a great bunch of lads and it was merely a coin flip to decide which I would prefer to be between Irish and Italian. My secret quarter is for only me to know but I can tell you now it is not ginger because I have a soul and gingers do not have souls. I repeat, gingers do not have souls

The French are handball cheating b@stards so I don't want to be associated with them. The Italians are a great bunch of lads and it was merely a coin flip to decide which I would prefer to be between Irish and Italian. My secret quarter is for only me to know but I can tell you now it is not ginger because I have a soul and gingers do not have souls. I repeat, gingers do not have souls

Get to the point ffs! Is it ok to strike a girl under certain circumstances?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

The Yanks: A great bunch of lads...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

A friend of mine once apparently nearly got into an argument with a waiter while on holiday in Italy... she had asked for "no pepperoni" on her pizza, and got a pizza without chilies, but with salami.
    She told me about it in a huff, and I had try so hard not to laugh while explaining to her what had happened.

I was once told that a Pizza place (major US chain) did not serve Margherita pizza, couldnt help but wonder how hard it was to NOT put toppings on a pizza.

Fecking Yanks and their aversion to Tequila. Oh, wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

How about Irish culture? Why do you have to ask about Americans. Are you American?
    Sounds like a thinly veiled "Merican's soooo stoopid" thread.

On topic, refried beans aren't actually refried. It was a mistake to call them that.

biko wrote: »
    How about Irish culture? Why do you have to ask about Americans. Are you American?

On topic, refried beans aren't actually refried. It was a mistake to call them that.

Yep, chips with curry sauce on them is NOT Chinese food... I know this will come to a shock for many. ;)

top o the mornin to ya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Fred Astaire was a faucet dancer. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Americans seem to think this sauce is Italian and eaten in Italy,

That's because it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I was once told that a Pizza place (major US chain) did not serve Margherita pizza, couldnt help but wonder how hard it was to NOT put toppings on a pizza.

They have pizza with only tomatoe sauce. Shouldn't be allowed at all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

biko wrote: »

Having just finished reading Alan Sugar's biography in which he mentions marinara sauce and how the waiter's in Italy never heard of it, I thought it was an interesting topic. He recommends the Irish to market some form of green sauce as Irish in America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Hi America,

*waves*

Having just finished reading Alan Sugar's biography in which he mentions marinara sauce and how the waiter's in Italy never heard of it, I thought it was an interesting topic. He recommends the Irish to market some form of green sauce as Irish in America.

We could just take this recipe and force them to change the name :

heinz1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Fecking Yanks and their aversion to Tequila. Oh, wait.

Just order a cheese pizza with some basil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭Madame K

In the US, though it may not be correct, the distinction is made between: peperoncini (sp?) refers to the little peppers and pepperoni is a type of salami.

Madame K wrote: »
    In the US, though it may not be correct, the distinction is made between: peperoncini (sp?) refers to the little peppers and pepperoni is a type of salami.

As I understand, peperoncinos are sweet peppers in Italy, as opposed to peperoni, which are the hot varieties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Corned beef and cabbage.

Its an Irish-American dish, not an Irish one.

The only cut of meat Irish emigrants could afford when they first arrived in America.

Its horrible. Pure peasant food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Freedom Fries (To be quite fair, it was not our transatlantic cousins best moment)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_fries
    According to a statement released by Ney, this move was intended to express displeasure with France's "continued refusal to stand with their U.S. allies" (see Iraq disarmament crisis). The statement further read: "This action today is a small but symbolic effort to show the strong displeasure many on Capitol Hill have with our so-called ally, France."[1][2]
    The Embassy of France in Washington, D.C. made no comment beyond pointing out that French fries come from Belgium

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_fries#Culinary_origin
    Culinary origin

Belgium
    Belgian journalist Jo Gérard has claimed that a family manuscript dated 1781 recounts that potatoes were deep-fried prior to 1680 in what was then the Spanish Netherlands and is now present-day Belgium, in the Meuse valley: "The inhabitants of Namur, Andenne, and Dinant, had the custom of fishing in the Meuse for small fish and frying, especially among the poor, but when the river was frozen and fishing became hazardous, they cut potatoes in the form of small fish and put them in a fryer like those here".[11][12] Gérard has not produced the manuscript supporting this claim which, even if true, is unrelated to the later history of the French fry, as the potato did not arrive in the region until around 1735; also, given the economic conditions of the 18th century: "it is absolutely unthinkable that a peasant could have consecrated large quantities of fat for cooking potatoes. At most they were sautéed in a pan...."[13] Some Belgians believe that the term "French" was introduced when American soldiers arrived in Belgium during World War I, and consequently tasted Belgian fries. They supposedly called them "French," as it was the official language of the Belgian Army at that time.[11] At this time French fries were growing popular. However, in the south of Netherlands, bordering Belgium, they were, and still are, called Vlaamse Frieten or "Flemish fries."
    "Pommes frites," "frites"(French) or "frieten" (Dutch) became the national snack and a substantial part of several national dishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

It's been too long since I've had a meatball sub.

IrishAm wrote: »

Peasant food can often be the best kind of food.

Czech food is all peasant food.

Saruman wrote: »

But that's tasty. Nicely seasoned pork, few dumplings.

Corned beef and cabbage is anything but.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Saruman wrote: »

But that's tasty. Nicely seasoned pork, few dumplings.

Corned beef and cabbage is anything but.

Corned beef and cabbage is absolutely delicious :)

• Advertisement

Takes all sorts, I suppose.

Agreed... not that I eat it ever but it's still lovely from memory. I don't eat beef anymore except for the odd slice of steak or if I have no other choice.

Just like in the US, meatloaf always has this negative thing going on when in fact I loved it when I had it a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Marinara sauce not Italian!?

Jesus, even with Google at your disposal you've failed miserably!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Corned beef and cabbage.

Its an Irish-American dish, not an Irish one.

The only cut of meat Irish emigrants could afford when they first arrived in America.

corned beef, or saltbeef as we call it in this part of the world, is a lot more expensive than bacon. the reason irish people started eating it in the us was because newly arrived irish in NYC couldnt buy bacon because most of the butchers were jewish and salt beef was the closest thing to bacon they could find.

saltbeef is nothing like the ****e we call corned beef here, its yummy.

the basis of the worlds greatest sammich, the Reuben.

Not a big fan, man. Bacon and cabbage is where its at.

And the best sandwich in the world is the BLT(with Irish rasher)!

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote: »
    saltbeef is nothing like the ****e we call corned beef here, its yummy.

You can get excellent quality salt / corned beef in Ireland.

Granted, it's harder to find than the crap they sell in tins in the supermarket, but it's not impossible to find.

It's also very easy to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mhigh86

Not a big fan, man. Bacon and cabbage is where its at.

And the best sandwich in the world is the BLT(with Irish rasher)!

MMmmmhh, got to go and have my luch now.........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

ime Americans tend to not know what spaghetti bolognaise is, they would have spaghetti and meatballs as their dish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I'm not racist, but let's lynch that black guy.. Because aliens.

ime Americans tend to not know what spaghetti bolognaise is,

Neither do most Italians - Spaghetti Bolognese is a bastardisation of an Italian dish that originated in Bologna as a simple ragu & pasta dish. The ragu is mixed with the pasta (usually tagiatelle), not served on top of it & it rarely contains tomatoes or tomato sauce.

And it's never, ever served with spaghetti.

Neither do most Italians - Spaghetti Bolognese is a bastardisation of an Italian dish that originated in Bologna as a simple ragu & pasta dish. The ragu is mixed with the pasta (usually tagiatelle), not served on top of it & it rarely contains tomatoes or tomato sauce.

Erm... did I use to work with you?
    Italians are divided on this issue, at least in our office. We used to have a colleague who would blow a fuse anytime someone mentioned Spaghetti Bolognaise, and would give out if she spotted people bringing it in for lunch.
    The remaining 3 Italians assured us that as far as they were concerned, Spaghetti Bolognaise was a fine dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

not in my experience during my many visits to Italy. maybe you just met a narky Italian.
    :D

Spag Bog IS known in Italy and IS served with spaghetti.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mhigh86

not in my experience during my many visits to Italy. maybe you just met a narky Italian.
    :D

Spag Bog IS known in Italy and IS served with spaghetti.

Ah yes Spago Bogio

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

mhigh86 wrote: »
    Ah yes Spago Bogio

Great footballer! Pity about that penalty miss.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

You can get excellent quality salt / corned beef in Ireland.

Granted, it's harder to find than the crap they sell in tins in the supermarket, but it's not impossible to find.

It's also very easy to make.

I tend to make my own myself but yeah there are some butchers who make a good brine alright.

By the ****e we call corned beef here I meant the crap you get sliced at a deli counter/from a can, not proper salt beef.

• Advertisement
Advertisement