Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thug attacks 3 women, walks free!

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

SocSocPol wrote: »
    This guy has 8 previous convictions, he attacked 3 women, punching one of them to the ground before stamping on her.
    He got, yes you guessed, a suspended sentence!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0731/1224321155290.html
    Someone took the "Is it ok to strike a girl under certain circumstances?" thread too seriously...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

He seems like a nice chap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Fair play to the victim refusing th proposed 12,000 compensation. Bring on the civil suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Little scrote b*stard.

And this the same week that a businessman got 5.5 years suspended from his 6 year sentence for sexually assaulting a woman.

The judiciary in this country surely are a shower of goons.

€12,000 to get off a prison sentence.

I love Ireland, but our justice system needs a serious looking at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Words fail me....the state of our justice system, seems we have to hope that Karma takes it's course instead! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

I'm shocked at how lenient the judge was and especially the day after this pathetic sentence.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0730/lyons-jailed-for-six-months-for-sexual-assault.html

Two different male judges within 2 days giving lenient sentences for unprovoked assaults against women.

Can anyone here with knowledge of the law explain the thinking behind suspending a sentence and awarding cash to the victim?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Great country where a man gets off with this and a guy gets 6 years for garlic fraud after repaying what he owes. Such bs- who is the risk to society here and how can judges sleep a night

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0309/begleyp.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

homeOwner wrote: »
    I'm shocked at how lenient the judge was and especially the day after this pathetic sentence.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0730/lyons-jailed-for-six-months-for-sexual-assault.html

Two different male judges within 2 days giving lenient sentences for unprovoked assaults against women.

Can anyone here with knowledge of the law explain the thinking behind suspending a sentence and awarding cash to the victim?

I wonder if a lot of it has to do with overcrowding of our prisons and not having the resources to cope! Again I'm just speculating here, others may know for sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

homeOwner wrote: »

I could understand it* if it were the case that the victim had the choice of compensation or a custodial sentence for the perpetrator, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

* prison sentence and compensation is probably better
    kfallon wrote: »
    I wonder if a lot of it has to do with overcrowding of our prisons and not having the resources to cope! Again I'm just speculating here, others may know for sure

Was wondering this also.

I feel like I've been pulling my hair out over these lenient sentences for years now, and nothing has changed. Can someone please identify the problem? Is it simply the case that the judiciary are lenient? Or is there pressure from elsewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

SocSocPol wrote: »
    This guy has 6 previous convictions, he attacked 3 women, punching one of them to the ground before stamping on her.
    He got, yes you guessed, a suspended sentence!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0731/1224321155290.html

the best argument for sorting out the problem yourself instead of going to court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

Dave! wrote: »

Was wondering this also.

I feel like I've been pulling my hair out over these lenient sentences for years now, and nothing has changed. Can someone please identify the problem? Is it simply the case that the judiciary are lenient? Or is there pressure from elsewhere?

Just spotted this article in the times in relation to the Anthony Lyons sentence
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0731/1224321155267.html
    It seems sentencing is based on "sentencing principles" gathered from UK and Ireland. I don't understand how this can be the accepted way of deciding a sentence. Surely each case should be decided on its own facts and the judge decide for himself. And I don't see any mention of cash payments in lieu of custodial sentences. If I were the victim I'd be on to the DPP to appeal the sentence but she probably feels, what's the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

€12,000 to get off a prison sentence.

I love Ireland, but our justice system needs a serious looking at.

its means tested. if you are a wealthy buisnessman if would cost you 75K.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I love how defence solicitors/barristers try to use this stuff as a defence (i.e. "He's a nice guy, really"):
    Olan Callahan, defending, said Humphrey was the captain of Tolka Rovers and had played with Shelbourne youths and the Bohemians under-21 teams. He spent every weekend coaching youth football.
    If anything, that's a reason why he should be punished even more harshly, as someone involved with youths should be setting a better example.

All that's happened now is that an entire team of young lads has seen that you can assault three women and walk away without going to jail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I honestly don't understand sentencing in this country.

8 years for first degree murder...
    6 years for 36 counts of indecent and sexual assault on minors....
    6 years for illegally importing garlic?

You couldn't make this **** up

So he received 8 months in 2008 for assault. Commits the same crime 4 years later and gets...nothing? What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Gotta love the way the solicitors defending this type of scumbag always use drink or drugs as an excuse for their behaviour and claim they are getting help for their addiction.

Boo Hoo for them I say how many other people can manage to go out drinking at the weekend and not attack three women in Abra regardless of how drunk they are. A scumbag is a scumbag end of story and no amount of drink or drugs is going to change that and no amount of counselling is going to fix the fact they are pure scum.

Irelands Justice system = "be on yer way lad!, and DON'T do it again".

Does it again : "Oh howiye yer back, be on yer way lad!, and DON'T do it again"

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

In the both cases I'd happily take the 12K or the 75K.

Who gives a **** how long the perp goes down for? The crime already took place and can't be taken back. You've a greater chance to be hit by lightning than to have an encounter with the same guy again.

Give me money money money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

So this guy has a history of violence and now when he attack again he gets no punishment whatsoever.

How will he think the next time he's drunk and aggressive? It's clear he's a woman abuser and I don't think he'll ever stop.
    How will the 3 women think? They've been let down by the system.

This is sending out the signal to young women "if you get attacked by someone, don't even bother calling it in, we're not going to take it serious".

I get the feeling the judges are under orders to keep the jails from getting overcrowded and to punish financially.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

any chance of an evening herald type "courts and crime" forum to talk about being outraged about garlic and suspended sentences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    I honestly don't understand sentencing in this country.

8 years for first degree murder...
    6 years for 36 counts of indecent and sexual assault on minors....
    6 years for illegally importing garlic?

You couldn't make this **** up

No such crime exists in this Juristiction, we have murder which has a mandatory life sentence, and manslaughter which carries a penalty of anything from a fine up to life imprisonment.
    That said it appears crimes against women by thugs don't seem to count with certain Judges!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

biko wrote: »
    I get the feeling the judges are under orders to keep the jails from getting overcrowded and to punish financially.

Thats a scary thought...

'I'll take the risk because if I'm caught I can always buy my way out of trouble...'

All we need now is a price index on various crimes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

kfallon wrote: »

The judges don't work for the prison service, if the prisons are overcrowded then let the Minister for Justice take responsibility for people being released early.

Judges need to be more accountable to the people, either through the government or through direct election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Certainly a ridiculous sentence, doubly so as he is a repeat offender. I wonder if there are any stats on this kind of thing? It would certainly help show how bad things are, and maybe help change things.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

Surely we have to ask our judges to sentence people to minimum sentencing for offences - if there are hard luck cases or he's really a nice guy mentality then they can take this into account when deciding how long above the minimum sentence the guilty party receives.

We could probably pay for a lot more prison spaces if we cut out the huge cost of what it seems like almost automatic adjournments of cases and by actually dealing with repeat offenders rather than having legal representation god knows how many times a year and just releasing them.

Why is it that we always hear about how overcrowded our prison system is, and how much it costs per prisoner, yet we never hear of exactly how the prison service is attempting to SLASH costs so we can afford to house all of this scum we let breed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

deserved to be spat on because she was wearing white on a night out

Is this some rule in Finglas :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mhigh86

I thought this line from the judge gives an insight into his idea of remorse and justice.

"Judge Nolan had adjourned sentencing last week after describing the €3,000 brought to court by Humphrey as a “miserable” expression of remorse"

He is basing remorse on money brought to the court and in that he will base hes sentencing, this is all wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

wonder where those 20,000 people on facebook who say the Mauritius justice system is a joke are now? People in glass houses and all that.

I cannot fathom the leniency shown to so many people in our justice system. Time and time again I read reports in papers of serious sexual assaults on minors, and the perpetraitor getting a few years, and will be out again within 4 or something ridiculous. Even that prick last week Ger doyle who was at it for decades, and gets what, 6 and a half years jail term after he showed no remorse and did it to numerous children over 12 years. There are so many cases like this, and I really really can not understand what judges are at when they make these sentances.

Advertisement