Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaves on trees changing color

Options
  • 31-07-2012 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

On my way to work I noticed a few trees leaves are starting to change color which was most noticeable on chestnut trees.

Would this not be a bit early for this to happen considering we're only coming into August?

I do know that the chestnut tree "conkers" are always ready to "use" in September time, but still I think this is slightly early.

Would us having a "****e summer" have anything to do with this, or is a sign of things to come?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

[QUOTE=tylercollins;79995321

Would us having a "****e summer" have anything to do with this, or is a sign of things to come?[/QUOTE]

Yes this is a sign that the world is coming to an end on December 21st 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

nbar12 wrote: »
    Yes this is a sign that the world is coming to an end on December 21st 2012

I would prefer serious answers if possible :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Ah yes Nat King Cole time arrives arrives early - we are now down to two seasons here; autumn, when colours change and winter when we get permanent grey.

I wonder how me auld buddies in New England are faring?
    I would prefer serious answers if possible :)
    But you must admit the weather is a joke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

On my way to work I noticed a few trees leaves are starting to change color which was most noticeable on chestnut trees.

Would this not be a bit early for this to happen considering we're only coming into August?

I do know that the chestnut tree "conkers" are always ready to "use" in September time, but still I think this is slightly early.

Would us having a "****e summer" have anything to do with this, or is a sign of things to come?

It's been a weird summer for plants - there's a definite feel of autumn, especially with the cool nights. I think it may be those temperatures that are triggering the colour change. On the other hand I've seen a whole group of horse chestnuts which have burst next years buds and are growing bright green new shoots. I have Spring flowers still in full bloom in my garden, and fruit trees in flower. Very few insects around too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I'm with PlanetX on this one. The place is awash with earwigs and not a Daddy long legs in sight.

Obviously Global Warming is fierce stuff altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I'm with PlanetX on this one. The place is awash with earwigs and not a Daddy long legs in sight.

Obviously Global Warming is fierce stuff altogether.

I think my cats have halved the Daddy Long Legs population in my area. I see few remains of them around the house.

Speaking of which a little off topic. I have a small spider cocoon in the corner of one of my rooms. I haven't mentioned it to my brother as he hates spiders. Is there a way of removing it without damaging it or should I wait until they are hatched and move them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

On the upside, I have had a bumper crop of potatoes this year. I grow them in raised beds in the garden amongst other things. If they were not in raised beds, I would imagine things would have been a different story. All 3 varieties were all showing symptoms of blight so I dug everything up yesterday. Everything is fully grown and ready to eat, even the Maris Piper which usually aren't ready till September. All the other veg is still growing at outstanding rates. So this unusual weather has resulted in good news for me, at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Munstermac

Leaves on trees changing color.

I think it's a sign that even nature has given up on this summer and just moved on to autumn!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

Just a sign of a pretty poor summer and serious lack of decent sunshine

Advertisement