Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lower buckingham street/railway street

Options
  • 31-07-2012 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

Im from the country and dont know the subtleties of the areas of Dublin.

I can get accomodation on the corner between lower buckingham street and railway street for a very reasonable price.

Firstly will I definetly get stabbed/robbed/raped/intimidated/aids? Should this be avoided at all costs?

Secondly if that isnt a certainty how can I avoid it? ie hours to be indoors by, dresscode, who to pay protection to etc

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

gg12345 wrote: »
    Hi,

Im from the country and dont know the subtleties of the areas of Dublin.

I can get accomodation on the corner between lower buckingham street and railway street for a very reasonable price.

Firstly will I definetly get stabbed/robbed/raped/intimidated/aids? Should this be avoided at all costs?

Secondly if that isnt a certainty how can I avoid it? ie hours to be indoors by, dresscode, who to pay protection to etc

Thanks

Dont live there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

gg12345 wrote: »

if this isn't a wind up, do what degsy says.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭allquestions

I lived there for a year at college and had no bother. I kept my head down and walked on at a good pace through the area and never had any problems. I wouldn't have went out late at night walking about on my own, if someone out of the flat wanted to go to the shop quite late at night we would have went in pairs, but that's just common sense. As to what to wear etc, I don't know if you have to worry about that extreme. I walked about with an iPod, listening to music as I passed by, or would have pulled out my phone to text; neither of which were stolen. So it's down to the common sense you'd use in any city about keeping yourself and your possessions safe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Degsy wrote: »
    Dont live there.

ah come on degsy, nowhere in dublin is 'that' bad

op, my father in laws best friend lived on buckingham street for years and never encountered trouble

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

ah come on degsy, nowhere in dublin is 'that' bad

op, my father in laws best friend lived on buckingham street for years and never encountered trouble

Its a dodgy area though..especially if you're not from dublin.

When i went to school on the north circular there was people mugged every day coming home from there..although its probably not as bad now that they got rid of a lot of those flats it's still plenty dodgy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Worked around that area for years and never had a problem at anytime of the day or night,just be sensible like any area of the city and you'll be grand OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

Ring Store Street Garda station and ask their advice OP. No offence to anyone, but it means nothing that one or two people lived somewhere for years and never had a problem. You need the crime statistics to be able to compare one area with another.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Crime statsitics aren't a great judge of an area either,especially in working class areas where a fair % of people aren't great fans of AGS for one reason or another,so they don't bother reporting things.

I'd recommend the OP visiting the area over a few days at various times in the day/evening/night and see what he/she makes of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

Railway street is dodgy. Take an armchair tour on google street

Advertisement