Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballina road blockage/protest last night 30-07-12

Options
  • 31-07-2012 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

i was coming in the sligo road into ballina and that straight stretch where the speed camera van does be,,well there was gaurds all over with lorrys and there orange lights on at a standstill,,,before i turned right down tyhe rugby club road and out the to turn left at quay road,,,i waited for a guy that was walking towards my van and asked him what was going on

he told me that they have blocked to road to prevent some drilling machine going down to the corrib gas terminal,,after a brief chat i head away and they were all in at the bridge and in at dunnes...there was a massive crowd of them

anyone saw this and what was the outcome as i headed home,,,i passed this around midnight or a little after

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭smurfy89

Didn't actually see it but heard a few people on about how half the town was blocked up with them last night

http://www.thejournal.ie/four-arrested-after-shell-to-sea-protesters-block-convoy-539381-Jul2012/#slide-slideshow9

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

according to the times
    the trucks are/were stuck at a crossroads
    somewhere closer to the site..
    hard to believe that someone didnt do a recce
    and figure out beforehand whether or not theyd
    fit round a corner..

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0731/breaking14.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Anyone else getting very bored of this constant protesting.

The gas is going to come ashore, all this is doing is delaying the Irish tax payers getting a return. Shell are writing all these costs of against the development of the terminal. They don't start paying tax until they have recouped their costs.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I agree Irishgeo but from what I heard there was no protesting in this case at all though. The lorry was just too damn big for a particular corner in the road apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I agree Irishgeo but from what I heard there was no protesting in this case at all though. The lorry was just too damn big for a particular corner in the road apparently.

Two completely different stories at play here. The first relates to a protest in Ballina last night and the other is that one of the trucks is currently stuck at glenamoy bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭sanbrafyffe

we could merge them thanks

Ilovelucy wrote: »
    Two completely different stories at play here. The first relates to a protest in Ballina last night and the other is that one of the trucks is currently stuck at glenamoy bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

I was just pointing out to Mickeroo that there was a protest last night and not just a truck stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

How can Peter Hynes absolve Mayo Co Co after granting the special permits for Shell to transport abnormal loads on the Mayo road network that has severe limitations for abnormal loads as highlighted by the truck going off the road?

Banana republic......:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭qrrgprgua

Mayo has 2% of Idiots who make 98% of the noise. This place (I am not from Mayo) is constantly saying they are overlooked.. But when jobs do come we get the auld biddy who comes with her NIMBY protest.

Time this place has a plebiscite..and be done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

qrrgprgua wrote: »
    Mayo has 2% of Idiots who make 98% of the noise. This place (I am not from Mayo) is constantly saying they are overlooked.. But when jobs do come we get the auld biddy who comes with her NIMBY protest.

Time this place has a plebiscite..and be done with it.

yes, a very measured and mature and informed response to the whole issue.

afterhours is that way i think :rolleyes:
    >

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ilovelucy wrote: »

woops, makes more sense now :)

i wonder who is paying for the new road they are building?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Huge 50 tonne crain after passing through town about 1/2 hour ago. I'd say it must be heading for glenamoy. D reg i think it was (red).

which town, mick?

artyeva wrote: »
    which town, mick?

Thaught my sig gave it away:D (swinford):)

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Thaught my sig gave it away:D (swinford):)

lol, not really, i've never heard of castletown. you wanna get yerself set up with a local tourism awareness action committee there :p

edit: oh yer sig. oh. ok, i just saw that there now. yeah. there it is right there - swinford. well!!!

anyway i just saw it pass by here 5 mins ago... tbh the ones they already have inside the aughoose compound look bigger. might take a spin down in a bit and see what's happening.

lol, not really, i've never heard of castletown. you wanna get yerself set up with a local tourism awareness action committee there :p

edit: oh yer sig. oh. ok, i just saw that there now. yeah. there it is right there - swinford. well!!!

anyway i just saw it pass by here 5 mins ago... tbh the ones they already have inside the aughoose compound look bigger. might take a spin down in a bit and see what's happening.

You've never heard of the "Hardy Bucks"?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Huge 50 tonne crain after passing through town about 1/2 hour ago. I'd say it must be heading for glenamoy. D reg i think it was (red).

Oh I was wondering what was happening ,TheBird O'Donnell is after running into the local shouting "tis coming tis coming , tis like a dinosaur , tis like a big bird with a neck and a peak" !!

so mr artyeva just rang me there - yes that crane was destined for glenamoy bridge.... however before it even got to the bridge protestors have been able to climb up on it. and someone's parked a van across the road blocking it as well.

so mr artyeva just rang me there - yes that crane was destined for glenamoy bridge.... however before it even got to the bridge protestors have been able to climb up on it. and someone's parked a van across the road blocking it as well.

i despair against these child games. is blocking a main road a serious offence.

I would tow the car away and make them pay a fine to get it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

Another gang for Maura to add to her list of enemies ganging up on her, the gardai, shell, impounders, the human race :/ shel prob just do another blog! Saw her shopping in Tesco once, thought Tesco would also be a conglomerate 'authority' she resents and lives on a diet of natural substances potatoes hash and bitterness

Fair play to Sinn Fein for stating the obvious on this. See here

As indicated by the councillor Rose Conway Walsh "who can local people contact when there is an event where there are immediate health and safety concerns. Is it Shell, Mayo County Council or the local Gardai? It appears that everyone has the authority yet no one has the responsibility. This is not good enough.”

In addition she states the following -"Had I been consulted, the first question I would have asked is has the carrying capacity of the route been assessed by Mayo County Council and what health & safety plan has been put in place.”

“I have asked Mayo County Council for a report on how the route was assessed and what traffic management plan was put in place before the permit was granted to allow this weight and size to be transported."

The council's response will be interesting. Caught with their trousers down big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭anfield liv

It is typical of the banana republic that we live in that this shell fiasco is going on now for something like 10 years and yet we are no nearer a resolution and why.....I reckon the truth could be something along the line of ray burke and co being more interested in lining their own pockets than doing what was right for the state...then you have shell who are acting like they haven't a red cent trying to short cut everything and everyone in trying to bring a much needed commodity ashore.....and mayo co co are no better,aiding and abetting the carry on in the hope that they get a few roads tarred with shell money....not forgetting the eco-warriors who would not have got a look in if things were done right from day one.If I start digging a hole in my garden tomorrow they will soon forget Corrib and descend on my patch!! Where is it all going to end,who knows but hopefully no lives will be lost as a result of the shoddiness of what we have seen over the past 10 years.....it is very hard to watch successive governments sh*t on its own people and not be pro active in putting this project to bed and getting on with bringing in the trillions of gas and oil off our coast.:(

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

finisklin wrote: »
    In addition she states the following -"Had I been consulted, the first question I would have asked is has the carrying capacity of the route been assessed by Mayo County Council and what health & safety plan has been put in place.”

“I have asked Mayo County Council for a report on how the route was assessed and what traffic management plan was put in place..."
    Doubtless she has detailed records of the health & safety and traffic management plans that have been carefully drawn up by the Shell to Sea campaign.

right, just back from down there and i'm actually speechless at what's going on. it's like a benny hill sketch, just with heavy machinery instead of scantily clad women ;)

they sent in the crane to rescue the lorries with no lead vehicles, no security, totally unaccompanied. into an are where they KNOW protesters are... and surprise surprise a protester was able to get on top of the crane. at about 9.45 the teleporter that's been sent in to aid the gardai in getting the protester off the crane is on it's way down the road. again, no lead vehicle, nothing to guard it. the gardai are up ahead watching it.... and watching a protester walking towards it.... and you guessed it... climb up on top of the roof. no effort to stop him whatsoever.

they'll be there for a while :rolleyes:

...a protester was able to get on top of the crane. ...watching a protester walking towards it.... and you guessed it... climb up on top of the roof.
    I'm sitting here holding my breath waiting for Rose Conway Walsh to decry the blatant disregard for health and safety on the part of these protesters. Because there's no way she'd be blatantly hypocritical about this issue, is there?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I'm sitting here holding my breath waiting for Rose Conway Walsh to decry the blatant disregard for health and safety on the part of these protesters. Because there's no way she'd be blatantly hypocritical about this issue, is there?

i'm afraid i have no idea who she is, sher why don't you ask her for a comment?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Doubtless she has detailed records of the health & safety and traffic management plans that have been carefully drawn up by the Shell to Sea campaign.

I didn't realise Shell to Sea were responsible for bringing the gas ashore or being assisted by local government, An Gardai etc. or acting in the supposed public interest including health and safety.

i'm afraid i have no idea who she is, sher why don't you ask her for a comment?
    Because I have very little interest in anything she has to say beyond pointing out her hypocrisy.
    finisklin wrote: »
    I didn't realise Shell to Sea were responsible for bringing the gas ashore or being assisted by local government, An Gardai etc. or acting in the supposed public interest including health and safety.
    That's a nice artificial distinction you've drawn in order to justify RCW getting all outraged about health and safety where one party is concerned and completely ignoring it where the other is concerned.

I think it's pretty obvious that the actual distinction is that she complains about behaviour from people she disagrees with while ignoring similar or worse behaviour from people she agrees with. It's called "hypocrisy".

When she starts loudly demanding traffic management plans from the people who illegally and deliberately (as opposed to accidentally) block roads, be sure to let me know.

• Advertisement

its a wonder they didnt bring them by sea.

Advertisement