Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying to Oz with a very nervous Passenger

Options
  • 31-07-2012 9:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

I know this is asked time and time again and I've searched it several times but so many different views its hard to make up my mind. Going to Sydney in October and my boyfriend is an extremely nervous flyer. Im just looking for advice on who to fly with to get the best possible experience out of it. I have really good price of 990 return on flights via Dubai with Etihad. Would you recommend Etihad for someone that is already having nightmares about the flight 3 months before we go?

Also can you tell what nervous people take ?

Any advice much appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

If he is a nervous flyer the flight he wants is the shortest one possible so either Etihad or Emirates are the best there.

to be honest if he is experiencing nightmares already it sounds like he may need professional help to fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭retroactive

Doctors. Xanax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Diamond Dust

Thanks Sundy, Yes I am worried that he wont be able for it alright, but cant see him doing anything about it.

Longest flight Ive been on is to America. Do you settle in after a while on the flight ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Valiums or Xanax are the only way to go, preferably valiums :)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭mannequinhands

yea just go to your local gp he will sort him out with some meds

i found i settled in a bit once i was on the flight but i wasnt anxious about the flight it was more cause i was going into the unknown

• Advertisement

yea just go to your local gp he will sort him out with some meds

i found i settled in a bit once i was on the flight but i wasnt anxious about the flight it was more cause i was going into the unknown

Cheers, I am a bit nervous myself. Just trying to make it as easy as possible but unfortunately dont have the money to book expensive flights. Read a lot of mixed reviews of Etihad but the flights are the best value at the moment.

Cheers, I am a bit nervous myself. Just trying to make it as easy as possible but unfortunately dont have the money to book expensive flights. Read a lot of mixed reviews of Etihad but the flights are the best value at the moment.

I heard there good only flying with them for the 1st time in a few weeks for a holiday home , i think most of the long haul ones are meant to be decent enough. Once the plane leave the tarmac theres not much you can do anyway so i think i just naturally settled after that either that or the meds kicked in lol :D , honestly i would recommend going to your local gp if he is uncomfortable on flights or if your feeling a bit anxious about it

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Xanax is brilliant. I slept the whole way which meant I couldn't burst into tears with the nerves!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭RadarControl

I have flown with Etihad from Dublin to Sydney on two previous occasions. I found them to be very good. The inflight enertainment includes your own personal tv so will help pass the time. Just note that the flight from Abu Dhabi to Sydney is one of the longest flights in the world and has a flying time of around 14hrs.

I'm emigrating at end of October to Sydney and will be flying with Etihad.

I have flown with Etihad from Dublin to Sydney on two previous occasions. I found them to be very good. The inflight enertainment includes your own personal tv so will help pass the time. Just note that the flight from Abu Dhabi to Sydney is one of the longest flights in the world and has a flying time of around 14hrs.

I'm emigrating at end of October to Sydney and will be flying with Etihad.

Would this be a bad idea so going this route? or would it be the best for sleeping on? whats singapore and hong kong etc. are they about 12 ?

• Advertisement

Would this be a bad idea so going this route? or would it be the best for sleeping on? whats singapore and hong kong etc. are they about 12 ?

singapore is about 11 hours from london and took me 8 to brisbane singapore airlines are class aswell but will prob cost ya

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Etihad allow you to bid for upgrades on the flight, if he is nervous maybe bid for upgrade to business class to ease the nerves?
    I have flown with Etihad for a number of years now and they are excellent. Taking off and landing are the most common stress points, so 2 long flights would be easier than 3 (if you went the asia route)

Etihad have a early morning flight out of Dublin and on some days an evening flight. My personal preference is the morning flight. What I have found myself, is stay awake for the entire flight from Dublin to Abu Dhabi which is about 6.5hrs unless you get a bad headwind. There is two hour between the connecting flights. Flight from Abu Dhabi to Sydney leaves at 10pm local time which is 7pm Irish time. Stay awake for another three hours and then go to sleep. I can get about 4 to 5 hrs sleep on this sector and that is without any medicine.

You arrive in Sydney at 7:30pm local time. By the time you get to your accomodation it is just about time for bed. When you wake next morning there should be no jet lag.

Going via Dubai or Abu Dhabi is one stop where if you go other ways it can be two or three stops. It all depends on your boyfriend and if he calms down the longer the flight goes on.

Just looking back at your orginal post you mention Dubai so wonder if you meant Emirates. Emirates provide excellent service but one thing puts me off is the seat layout which is 3 x 3 x 3 across. Etihad layout is 2 x 4 x 2 which I prefer. If you can get the window and aisle seat together you are not climbing over a stranger to get out.

Etihad have a early morning flight out of Dublin and on some days an evening flight.

Just looking back at your orginal post you mention Dubai so wonder if you meant Emirates. Emirates provide excellent service but one thing puts me off is the seat layout which is 3 x 3 x 3 across. Etihad layout is 2 x 4 x 2 which I prefer. If you can get the window and aisle seat together you are not climbing over a stranger to get out.

Many thanks for the advice there, its great.Will take it all on board, Sorry I should have said Abu Dhabi. Would you recommend stopping in Abu Dhabi for a few days? Wouldnt mind seeing the place.
    hussey wrote: »
    Etihad allow you to bid for upgrades on the flight, if he is nervous maybe bid for upgrade to business class to ease the nerves?
    I have flown with Etihad for a number of years now and they are excellent. Taking off and landing are the most common stress points, so 2 long flights would be easier than 3 (if you went the asia route)

Im not a frequent flyer so can you explain "bid for upgrade"?

I have not stopped in Abu Dhabi before so cannot comment. I do know that Etihad and Abu Dhabi Tourism offer free one night stopovers from time to time if you stay for two nights, they cover the third.

The bid for upgrade will send you email two days before you fly and allow you to bid a cash value to upgrade from economoy to business. Based on previous flights it will use a traffic light system to alert you how likely your bid will be. Note that if you are successful from Dublin to Abu Dhabi, does not mean you will be flying business from Abu Dhabi to Sydney. It is considered a seperate flight and would require a bid for that leg as well.

Thanks RadarControl, you have been a great help

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Try and get an aisle seat would be my advice. At the window or in the middle seats you can be cramped whereas in the aisle seat you have a bit more room. You also don't have to ask anyone to move if you want to get up.

For most of the flight you're above the clouds so don't get to see an awful lot.

Thanks everyone.

Would you recommend stopping or would we be best to get the journey over with if he is very anxious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Dose him up and get it all over in one go

Dose him up and get it all over in one go

Yes thinking this is the best option, will ahve to dose myself up too as he makes me nervous looking at him. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

This is a common question over on our Aviation and Aircraft forum, feel free to open a thread there to discuss his fears with real pilots or flight attendants....we're happy to explain what the noises are or different procedures etc that some people get worried about.

A great idea when you get on board is to mention to a flight attendant that you're a bit worried and not a good flyer They are trained to take care of you and if there is time might even let you speak to the captain to discuss your fears. Sometimes a look at the flight deck and quick chat with the captain about the expected weather can be very reassuring.

Alcohol should be avoided as it will only make things worse and dehydrate him further, xanax or any other sedative is a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

As mentioned, Zanex is amazing! I slept the whole way from Abu Dhabi to Sydney and didnt even wake up for the food! Abu Dhabi is a great place to stop off, we had three days in Dubai. But as someone said, with your boyfriend its best to get it over and done with in the one go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Be careful resorting to Xanax try restavit

Many thanks to everyone for the great replies, all have been such a help

pclancy wrote: »
    This is a common question over on our Aviation and Aircraft forum, feel free to open a thread there to discuss his fears with real pilots or flight attendants....we're happy to explain what the noises are or different procedures etc that some people get worried about.

A great idea when you get on board is to mention to a flight attendant that you're a bit worried and not a good flyer They are trained to take care of you and if there is time might even let you speak to the captain to discuss your fears. Sometimes a look at the flight deck and quick chat with the captain about the expected weather can be very reassuring.

Alcohol should be avoided as it will only make things worse and dehydrate him further, xanax or any other sedative is a great idea.

Thanks so much for the advice . I will definitely check the forum out and my boyfriend to have a read

Advertisement