Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SEO/WordPress advice

Options
  • 31-07-2012 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello All

I recently got a website developed www.MyElectrician.ie by a developer using Wordpress. I have access to the site and I make regular entries in the blog section.
    My ambition/goal is to rank No 1 in google search when someone Googles 'Electrician Dublin' or 'Electricians Dublin' -
    Can anyone give me advice to help me achieve the above, I know how to make blog entries but thats it, I am not computer literate.
    There seems to be alot about 'metatags' 'widgets' 'plugins' etc are these important for my site?
    Should i be changing my pages frequently or making blog entries daily?
    Also I have a link from my site to 'Twitter', 'Facebook' and Linkedin - how important is it to make regular posts on these sites.
    Any help/advice/tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Thread renamed and moved from Development.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Marty_McFly

Hey John,

I think you have done OK so far giving your current rankings.
    There seems to be alot about 'metatags' 'widgets' 'plugins' etc are these important for my site?

Have a read over this SEO guide for WordPress. There are some really good SEO plugins for WordPress although you only really need one. (If there are procedures in that guide that you are not comfortable in doing then ask your web guy for help)
    Should i be changing my pages frequently or making blog entries daily?

I wouldn't go that far at all. When it comes to blogging it is a case of quality over quantity. What happens is people think they need to be blogging all the time so they just end up writing lots of crap posts just for the sake of it.

Spending more time thinking about your posts is the right way to go about it. One thing you should do is ensure that your content is easily shareable. There are lots of great plugins available for WordPress. Here is a list of some of the most popular ones.
    Also I have a link from my site to 'Twitter', 'Facebook' and Linkedin - how important is it to make regular posts on these sites.

It's hard to know exactly but Google certainly do consider them so I would be active on those sites if you can. By the way your Facebook link is broken.
    Any help/advice/tips would be appreciated.

Well if you haven't already get your website set up on Google Webmaster Tools. It can provide lots of information about your website and detail any issues with it.

To get to the top spot for those terms you will need to create more content and build up your back links. Your main online competitors are all using what we call EMD (exact match domains) because for some reason Google thinks if someone pays €10 to register a domain that contains the keyword the site is trying to rank for then that site must be useful, relative and informative. :cool:

The good news is that those online competitors have very few back links so that is where you can beat them so get thinking about websites that could link to you but remember like the blog posts it is a case of quality over quantity.

Best of luck with it.

Advertisement