Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Last day of summer

• 31-07-2012 9:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Nova forever

Its hard to believe but today is the last day of summer. How was summer 2012 for you? I think it started out looking good at the end of may with a few days of hot weather and ireland going to the euros in poland but it all went down hill very fast.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I'm still waiting for it to start!

Surely we'll get the obligatory warm week at the start of September?

been a nice summer so far
    learned lots of things, met nice new people :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Maybe it's technically the last day but I refuse to believe summer is over until the last day of August.

So there.

I think we're in Dog Days now. I always loved that phrase.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

Don't worry. Ireland's summers are always best in Autumn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Grand summer, thank God. . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

But i can see you
    Brown skin shining in the sun
    you got your hair combed back and
    your wayfarers on, baby

What ****ing summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

what is this summer you speak of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Yesterday was lovely.

Yesterday was lovely.

It was and to be honest most days this past fortnight have been fairly humid. What ruins it is the lashing rain that we are being subjected to at regular intervals tho :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Hold the fkin bus here..what makes this the last day of summer? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

21st of September is end of summer, makes far more sense. Some old Celtic calender marks end of July as end of summer, which means it starts on 1st May, hardly!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

It's absolutely lashing at the moment where I am, but that's nothing new is it.

There's usually a bit of fine weather in August / September and to be fair there were a couple of nice weeks in late April / May. Can't ask for more than that in Ireland!

Bambi wrote: »
    Hold the fkin bus here..what makes this the last day of summer? :confused:

By the Calendar year August is the first Autumn month.

Schism wrote: »

No.

In Ireland, the autumn months according to the national meteorological service, Met Éireann, are September, October and November. However, according to the Irish Calendar which is based on ancient Gaelic traditions, autumn lasts throughout the months of August, September, and October, or possibly a few days later, depending on tradition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

kfallon wrote: »
    It was and to be honest most days this past fortnight have been fairly humid. What ruins it is the lashing rain that we are being subjected to at regular intervals tho :mad:

True. Feckin' terrible weather for plants too.. a lot of mine barely flowered this year & the veg got far too much water to put on a decent growth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

...and I find we have up to 8 times the amount of freshwater that we need as a nation. Other countries are crying out for freshwater as sources dry up. Dairy products and Meat, which require large amounts of fresh water to make are set to rise steeply in price as middle class Chinese, Indians etc increase their demands for these goods. With the madness of quotas to end soon Ireland will be able to produce these better than most countries because of all the rain and with little or no restrictions compared to most other countries, drier and hotter and less reliable rainfall.

I've been to mediterranean France and the price of beef etc is shocking. Southern Spain in its natural state is desert and will face huge problems when the water runs out. (Aquifers and power driven desalination....).

The rain isnt all bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

stovelid wrote: »
    Maybe it's technically the last day but I refuse to believe summer is over until the last day of August.

So had a quick google and it looks like Irish teachers are the only ones who think summer ends on July 31st. All the experts, scientists, meteorologists and people who know what they are talking about think it ends after August??

Strange!

we go by equinoxes in my house :mad:

nacimroc wrote: »

Strange!

Ireland having a self absorbed and emotional sense of self way out of proportion to its size and global relevance?

Surely not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

In every country north of the Tropic of Cancer, except Ireland, this is how it goes:

December, January, February - Winter
    March, April, May - Spring
    June, July, August - Summer
    September, October, November - Autumn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

What fùckin summer, I spent 6 days a week working with no windows near me and my days off consisted of me looking out windows at pissing rain, misery and despair......................mostly rain, though :(

tolosenc wrote: »
    In every country north of the Tropic of Capricorn, except Ireland, this is how it goes:

how it actually works

November December, January, February- winter
    march, april, may, june -spring
    july, august -springier spring
    september, october - autumn

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    No.

In Ireland, the autumn months according to the national meteorological service, Met Éireann, are September, October and November. However, according to the Irish Calendar which is based on ancient Gaelic traditions, autumn lasts throughout the months of August, September, and October, or possibly a few days later, depending on tradition.

I see. I was sure Autumn started in August. So what's the generally accepted start of Autumn for Ireland, September?

Maybe we need a poll :p

In every country north of the Tropic of Cancer, except Ireland, this is how it goes:

To be fair, I always think of August as summer but November as winter so I haven't really been thinking things through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I actually much prefer Autumn/Winter to Summer (although it is nice to get a few belters throughout the summer months).

Doesn't bother me in the slightest if that's our lot this year to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

I'm following this logic from now on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I was always taught:
    Nov, Dec, Jan- Winter
    Feb, March, April-Spring
    May, June, July- Summer
    August, Sep,Oct-Autumn

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Bambi wrote: »

we go by equinoxes in my house :mad:

While May, June and July contain the most daylight of any three months and most intense angle of the sun's rays that doesn't translate to the three warmest months, there is a lag causing June, July and August to be the three warmest months in Ireland.

• Advertisement

I don't give a ****, in 2 weeks I'll have a fortnight in GUARANTEED 30C+++. The Med was invented to visit for people from freezing cold rainy countries like ours!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭spirit_77

weatherwise fair to say pretty bad, but other than that i really enjoyed summer SO FAR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Summer to me will always be June, July & August. Another month to go, I live in hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭the_pits

There is no more four seasons, all you have is Cold and Wet,Warm and Wet seasons :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

It was a great summer. Even if it only lasted 6 hours last Friday morning.

All the foreigners in the company I work for think ireland has two seasons. Light Grey and Dark Grey. Dark Grey lasts for 9 months of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

On the plus side, its the longest time possible until we have to hear the appalling July by Mundy on the radio again.

• Advertisement

If it makes you feel any better it was pretty bad in London too, except last week was 30c+, but most of us were stuck indoors. Back to the usual rainy misery now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

Except for one saturday it rained everyday in july, it rained everyday in june, not sure about may it was fairly sh!te but we did have one really nice wkend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

It's absolutely lashing at the moment where I am, but that's nothing new is it.

There's usually a bit of fine weather in August / September and to be fair there were a couple of nice weeks in late April / May. Can't ask for more than that in Ireland!

An Irish summer doesn't need to be very hot, but all the rain is depressing! Summer in Ireland is basically a wet spring, bookended by a couple of weeks of heat in May and September, when everyone strips off thinking they're on the Costa Del Sol, and you must have a barbecue for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Until it rains again.

I'm going to Monte Carli tomorrow, bitches

For a moment, I thought you said you were gong to mount Carl tomorrow.

I was always taught:
    Nov, Dec, Jan- Winter
    Feb, March, April-Spring
    May, June, July- Summer
    August, Sep,Oct-Autumn

No f**king way is february in this country spring, its bastard of a month

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

August is Autumn, get over it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I had a great summer I have to say.

Met new people and am happier than I've been in a long time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

I love summer here, it's my favourite day of the year.

I hear it's on a Thursday next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The wettest summer I can ever remember which prevented me from doing some diy tasks that required me to be outside in dry weather .Hopefully... we might get some more of last weeks lovely sun in August/Sept

Latchy wrote: »
    The wettest summer I can ever remember which prevented me from doing some diy tasks that required me to be outside in dry weather .Hopefully... we might get some more of last weeks lovely sun in August/Sept

For some reason I read 'diy' as 'dirty'.....thought you were into dogging

Ilyana wrote: »
    An Irish summer doesn't need to be very hot, but all the rain is depressing! Summer in Ireland is basically a wet spring, bookended by a couple of weeks of heat in May and September, when everyone strips off thinking they're on the Costa Del Sol, and you must have a barbecue for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Until it rains again.

Hold on, I'll happily eat steak for breakfast regardless of the weather! Also, buy me a steak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Its hard to believe but today is the last day of summer.

Summer? We haven't had a decent summer for a good many years now. And just when you thought this summer couldn't be wetter than last year, it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

I know August is technically Autumn, but I still think of it as summer. And in other countries, it IS technically summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

kfallon wrote: »
    For some reason I read 'diy' as 'dirty'.....thought you were into dogging
    I never let work interfere with pleasure and I'll gladly down tools if I have to .

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

I really enjoyed summer 2012. Bit too soggy for sandals, can't be denied, but there were some blindingly brilliant days too. I had a lot of fun, unexpected good fun found me this summer....happy days indeed :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement