Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teenager arrested for slagging Tom Daley on Twitter

• 31-07-2012 9:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19059127
    A teenager has been arrested by police investigating abuse of Team GB diver Tom Daley on Twitter.

After coming fourth in the men's synchronised 10m platform diving event on Monday, the 18-year-old received a message telling him he had let down his father.
    Daley's father died last year from cancer.

For those that haven't seen it, the offending tweet (and some of the reaction) is posted here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79993723&postcount=6707.

What sort of country is the UK becoming when a person can get arrested for this?
    Yes, it's a pretty horrible thing to say, and the teenager who tweeted it is clearly a nasty piece of work, but for this to be an arrestable offence is a sad reflection on what the UK police forces have become.
    "Political correctness gone mad" is a phrase bandied about far too often, especially on these boards, but in this case I think it's very appropriate. The UK is becoming more and more authoritarion, freedom of speech no longer exists and it seems more and more that anybody who says anything that the moral majority don't like is being criminalised.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

blackwhite wrote: »

For those that haven't seen it, the offending tweet (and some of the reaction) is posted here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79993723&postcount=6707.

What sort of country is the UK becoming when a person can get arrested for this?
    Yes, it's a pretty horrible thing to say, and the teenager who tweeted it is clearly a nasty piece of work, but for this to be an arrestable offence is a sad reflection on what the UK police forces have become.
    "Political correctness gone mad" is a phrase bandied about far too often, especially on these boards, but in this case I think it's very appropriate. The UK is becoming more and more authoritarion, freedom of speech no longer exists and it seems more and more that anybody who says anything that the moral majority don't like is being criminalised.
    What sort of country is the UK becoming when some little sh!t thinks it’s funny to say that about somebody’s dead father?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

What the hell are they going to charge him with?

I wonder would they arrest me if i tweeted "**** the queen"
    Bit mad that, arrested for posting he let his father down wtf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Twitter...giving a voice to tits everywhere :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Serves him right. Another keyboard warrior thinking he can say anything because he is behind a pc.

Theres a screenshot of the twitter feed in Youlaughyoulose. The guy thought it was hilarious until he realised the shítstorm was brewing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

No harm arresting the little pirck tbh. I'm happy to see some action. Might teach him a little respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Even if he's not charged, I think it's a good thing and hope it at least puts the frightners on him. People really do think they can do and say anythign they want online and cant be touched. It's the same as if he posted him a letter or rang him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

In fairness, I think it was more for the death threats he made that just insulting him.

http://thedigitalreport.net/2012/07/uk-diver-tom-daley-subjected-to-abuse-by-twitter-user-rileyy_69/

"@tomdaley1994 i’m going to find you and i’m going to drown you in the pool you cocky twat your a nobody people like you make me sick"

"@_OllyRiley i dont give a **** bruv i'm gonna drown him and i'm gonna shoot you he failed why you suporting him you ****"

"@_OllyRiley come on then you **** i'll stick a knife down your ****in throat now comeback and stop hiding from me"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Horrible thing to tweet, but really arrested?

What was he charged with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Fritzl Funderland

The Uk has gone mad

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

Melion wrote: »
    What the hell are they going to charge him with?

Operating a computer without a frontal lobe?

In fairness, I think it was more for the death threats he made that just insulting him.

http://thedigitalreport.net/2012/07/uk-diver-tom-daley-subjected-to-abuse-by-twitter-user-rileyy_69/

"@tomdaley1994 i’m going to find you and i’m going to drown you in the pool you cocky twat your a nobody people like you make me sick"

"@_OllyRiley i dont give a **** bruv i'm gonna drown him and i'm gonna shoot you he failed why you suporting him you ****"

"@_OllyRiley come on then you **** i'll stick a knife down your ****in throat now comeback and stop hiding from me"

I knew there had to be more to it than "You let your dad down"
    **** the little scrote so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭LowOdour

was reading a thread on this on football365 about this fool last night. Granted, I have my issue with twitter police but this guy deserves a kick up the hole, just for some of the other idiotic comments he made and for the cut of him. I think he retracted his comment though if memory serves me correctly. On the plus side, I noticed some of the "ladies" he was following on twitter....there was some interesting pics to say the least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

kfallon wrote: »
    Twitter...giving a voice to tits everywhere :rolleyes:

That's a voice I'd like to hear

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

If he get's charged with Threats to Kill that's remarkably serious. I've seen it upheld in Court when a Threat was made on Facebook but I don't think it would hold up here anyways as you have to have put the person in near or immediate fear for their life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Easy Rod wrote: »
    What sort of country is the UK becoming when some little sh!t thinks it’s funny to say that about somebody’s dead father?

Free speech means having the right to say something like this.

Today it's been nasty to an Olympian , next week it's someone who critiques the government.

You think if he had said the same about David Cameron he should be arrested to ?

How about Tony Blair when he sent the troops to Iraq ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

jhegarty wrote: »

Today it's been nasty to an Olympian , next week it's someone who critiques the government.

You think if he had said the same about David Cameron he should be arrested to ?

You think its ok to threaten to kill someone because of "Free Speech"?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

As much as I think this was blown way out of proportion given that the kid is obviously deranged seeing his history of tweets, there's something so satisfacting about seeing a bully going down in flames fully documented online for the world to see.

The thing is though,after getting caught out and begging for forgiveness to Daley,he goes and shoots himself in the other foot! Then he blames Daley for giving him attention in the first place?

Reminded me of a similar incident that happened between ocean marketing and penny arcade.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Appearently in England it's considered a qualified right, which they can revoke from an individual. From what I read on a link posted further up on the thread.

Anyhoo, it's not based on being able to say what you want when you want. The link also referenced a series of charges he could be prosecuted under referring to being threatenining and the intent within his words.

I think most civilised people would rather live in a society where your right to living your life unthreated supersedes an adolescents right to threaten to kill you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Dave! wrote: »
    That's a voice I'd like to hear

Not if that voice says, "Get your hands away from me!"

I think the 18 year old girl who broke the British weightlifting record yesterday also got a bit of a going over on Twitter, they hinted at it on the BBC highlights programme last night

Zulu wrote: »
    I think most civilised people would rather live in a society where your right to living your life unthreated supersedes an adolescents right to threaten to kill you.
    Anyone wrote: »
    You think its ok to threaten to kill someone because of "Free Speech"?

Nothing on the BBC or Sky news articles about threats to kill him.

Anyone have a link to a reconsigned new source with the other information ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Why do all these sports stars have Twitter accounts?

Really what benefit is it to them? Do they really need their ego's massaged even more by getting comments from fans?

And also of course it opens you up to comments from idiots like this guy.

Seriously i just don't get why these guys bother with twitter in the first place.

And if they are not getting abuse, they are probably just getting themselves into trouble for making stupid commenst themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

My post has nothing to do with free speech, it's just one of those moments when you lose faith in humanity that someone could possibly find it funny to spout that on Twitter.:(

Nice surname by the way.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I didn't see any of those when I read the BBC article.

Clearly a bit more to it so then

We're all reading the same thread? Right?

Zulu wrote: »
    We're all reading the same thread? Right?

Yes we are.

A blog is not normally considered a more reliable source than the bbc.

Well the image captures of his threatening tweets and the fact he's been arrested is enough for me to wanna see the scrote screwed up the arse, by some inmate.

You want a more reliable source? Fair enough. That post was sufficient for me; seemed to make sense.

• Advertisement

Yes we are.

Well as someone who was following the whole thing on twitter, I can tell you those tweets are verbatem. The account of the teen who was arrested has been blocked by twitter, obviously pending the investigation, however you can see the original tweets here https://twitter.com/Rileyy_69

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

The Uk has gone mad

You cant make threats to kill in any country and expect to get away with it....even in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ah, the internet. It's been such a boon for free speech - giving a voice to those who would otherwise be unable to get their voice out in public.

But that huge boost has also allowed free speech to be abused so badly by so many people who don't understand what it is.

All rights come with a balancing responsibility. There's no such thing as a blanket right. The right to free speech equally comes with a balancing responsibility to use your right in a socially responsible manner and to be held accountable for any and all outcomes of your speech.

Come back when you are being threatened with torture or murder for daring to speak your mind and then you can bitch about free speech.

Well as someone who was following the whole thing on twitter, I can tell you those tweets are verbatem. The account of the teen who was arrested has been blocked by twitter, obviously pending the investigation, however you can see the original tweets here https://twitter.com/Rileyy_69

Dear god that little prick deserves a right hiding.
    The **** he comes up with to insult people, i hope he gets 18 shades of ****e knocked out of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

I'm still able to view the profile (maybe because I'm signed in to twitter)

He expects people to believe that he wasn't aware that his father had died :rolleyes:

Yeah they seem to have reopened it for viewing, it wasn't earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

blackwhite wrote: »

A nazi police run disgusting state.

Can't believe how many followers this guy has: almost 50,000.

I can see him on Big Brother next year having mended his ways and wanting money forgiveness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Reminds me of that woman on the bus in London screaming racial abuse. Do we really need to arrest everyone with views we don't agree with? The youtube/twitter police thing is all very 1984. It's George Orwell's thought police. Seriously this is some mad sh*t! There will always be people who say exteme things without thinking, we can't arrest them all. Blame Twitter for publishing it not the kid.

There was a funny article about what the journo misses about the 20th century in the Guardian last night, this thread reminded me of it -
    4. Having a pint with a racist Maybe it's the invisibility of old people, but I rarely "fall into conversation" with morons in the pub these days. It's what happened in the golden age before we had mobiles to check. There'd be a neutral remark about the weather and before you knew it some sullen clump of sideboards and tash opposite would be blaming "them" for his early black-and-white version of Broken Britain. Then you'd have an argument while you drank your pints and it seemed quite important to engage and challenge. Today, if anyone says anything racist the protocol is to smile, pretend to go to the toilet, tweet "Oh my God, there's a totally racist dude in this pub", then covertly film them and hope they say something YouTubeable.

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    There will always be people who say exteme things without thinking, we can't arrest them all. Blame Twitter for publishing it not the kid.

Really???

jordainius wrote: »
    Really???

No not really, just let these losers get on with their online arguments if that's what they want to do. Why do celebrities post on Twitter when they know they are under the constant gaze of the public?
    A few years ago an inner city urchin in Dublin about 12 threated to shoot me over and over for not giving him a smoke. Should he have been locked up?

• Advertisement

A few years ago an inner city urchin in Dublin about 12 threated to shoot me over and over for not giving him a smoke. Should he have been locked up?

If you make death threats via a public medium like twitter or a blog, you should expect to be arrested, simple as that.

You don't need a credible source - he (nor Twitter) have deleted any of the Tweets from his account as of yet:

https://twitter.com/Rileyy_69

If you make death threats via a public medium like twitter or a blog, you should expect to be arrested, simple as that.

But not in person?

No not really, just let these losers get on with their online arguments if that's what they want to do. Why do celebrities post on Twitter when they know they are under the constant gaze of the public?

So twitter is just for uneducated **** who like to bully others?
    Constant gaze of the public does not = "i'm going to shoot you" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Reminds me of that woman on the bus in London screaming racial abuse. Do we really need to arrest everyone with views we don't agree with? The youtube/twitter police thing is all very 1984. It's George Orwell's thought police. Seriously this is some mad sh*t! There will always be people who say exteme things without thinking, we can't arrest them all. Blame Twitter for publishing it not the kid.

There was a funny article about what the journo misses about the 20th century in the Guardian last night, this thread reminded me of it -

There is a big difference between cogent thoughts and views which the likes of this fool and others cannot be accused of forming and outright threats.

A threat is not a "thought" or a "viewpoint".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

If you made these threats in a public house whilst pissed with in ear shot of a policeman, what would be the charge ?

If you made these threats in a public house whilst pissed with in ear shot of a policeman, what would be the charge ?

Calm down and go home probably. Another storm in a twittercup.

But not in person?

You're talking about one person's word against another there - a lot more difficult to prove.

Plus there's a massive difference between a child talking ****e and a credible threat from someone's who's clearly unstable.

You can't blame twitter for idiots choosing to use their site abuse and threaten and spread hatred. It would be next to impossible to monitor the volume of tweets posted every minute/second. And this "kid" is 17 years old, he knows exactly what he was doing.

Why shouldn't celebrities join twitter? Should they all just unsubscribe and let idiots like this win? Everyone should be free to use twitter without having to put up with hateful idiots like this, regardless of their profile be they people like myself with a small amount of followers or celebrities with thousands/millions of followers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Death threats are death threats - it's the online equivalent of hate mail.

Those going on about nazi state, police state, 1984 nonsense should have an actual think about the hysterical silliness they're saying, then do research into actually living in such states.

Absolute free speech does not exist.

• Advertisement
Advertisement