Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teenager arrested for slagging Tom Daley on Twitter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

ceannair06 wrote: »
    There is the need for a ",".

You're separating a thought as in "yeah" - I get that and then continue with your thought.

There isn't a need.

You didn't have to put it in.

Some many alternatives.

Stop acting smart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Somebody attacking my beliefs through comedy on TV wouldn't be personal bullying. That's not what happened here. It was a personal attack.
    I agree, but I think it borders the fence between being a lone voice among millions (like TV) verses a face to face verbal assault.
    We shouldn't rely on the site because they're not under an obligation to enforce their rules. If you read through boards.ie terms and conditions, you'll probably find disclaimers.
    I think they are obliged to enforce their rules otherwise the visitors to the site would be under no obligation to follow the rules and the site would have no recourse when they don't follow the rules. When you agree to terms and conditions with software your entering a legal agreement and I don't see how a websites terms and conditions would be any less enforceable.
    Why do you see courts stepping in demading that facebook/twitter/google had over info?
    Because what's on Facebook belongs to Facebook and they use that information to make money so it's worth a lot to them. It's the same thing as the police having to get a court order to enter your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭RedRightHand

uch wrote: »
    Serve's the little pr1ck right

This board is full of little pricks. Where would we imprison them all if the same standards were applied?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 YellowPencil

ScumLord wrote: »
    I think they are obliged to enforce their rules otherwise the visitors to the site would be under no obligation to follow the rules and the site would have no recourse when they don't follow the rules. When you agree to terms and conditions with software your entering a legal agreement and I don't see how a websites terms and conditions would be any less enforceable.

Because what's on Facebook belongs to Facebook and they use that information to make money so it's worth a lot to them. It's the same thing as the police having to get a court order to enter your home.

The company makes up the rules. What if the rules are unfair? What if I am not even a user of a site and someone goes on and slags me off. It can't be argued that I have agreed to the terms and conditions. Clearly websites are restricted by legal rules, or why do we have mods locking/deleting threads so frequently? It's not purely because people have broken site rules and the site owners dislike that, its that sites are afraid of legal action in the form of defamation/privacy actions/harassment.

The fact that courts intervene at all means that sites are subject to the law.

The company makes up the rules. What if the rules are unfair?
    Don't use that site.
    What if I am not even a user of a site and someone goes on and slags me off. It can't be argued that I have agreed to the terms and conditions.
    Your a third party and have nothing to do with the agreement. If the user breaks the terms and conditions the site can react by removing access. If you want to take things further, considering it is even possible to take it further based on where in the world the person is, you can.

Clearly websites are restricted by legal rules,
    Only in the country where the website is based, if it happens on a Chinese website you'll be **** out of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

The insensitive comment about his father is lawful, although obviously is a pathetic insensitive moronic thing to say.
    He crossed the line when he started threatening to kill the guy...
    I have no idea what age the offender is, but I'm guessing he's under 18.
    While he deserves to be prosecuted, he should be shown some leeway for being young I actually think. Young kids and adolescents don't think about the consequences of their actions out of human nature. It's the way our brains develop.
    He went further than is forgivable with death threats though and a little spell in prison will teach him and others about how the internet is becoming very real.

Tom Daley or anyone else on twitter should have to put up with that crap. Granted you're putting yourself out their for criticism and you're going to hear unpleasant things about yourself, but death threats! Absolutely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 prometheus2012

Have been reading tweets from a friend of a friend recently ... they're all abusive and sent to 'celebrities' and footballers giving them grief. The guy is 26. People are dicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 YellowPencil

Don't use that site.

Your a third party and have nothing to do with the agreement. If the user breaks the terms and conditions the site can react by removing access. If you want to take things further, considering it is even possible to take it further based on where in the world the person is, you can.

Only in the country where the website is based, if it happens on a Chinese website you'll be **** out of luck.

If it's in China, where I don't live, it's less likely to affect me. How is the fact that I can't get protection from every country in the world an excuse for dropping standards here?

A British guy posted about Tom Daly in Britain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Easy Rod wrote:
    What sort of country is the UK becoming when some little sh!t thinks it’s funny to say that about somebody’s dead father?
    Yes its quite sad and disgusting how most ppl have gotton these days.... No caring or respect :(

If it's in China, where I don't live, it's less likely to affect me. How is the fact that I can't get protection from every country in the world an excuse for dropping standards here?

A British guy posted about Tom Daly in Britain.
    If the servers and website is based and registered outside of Ireland there's nothing you can do about anything put on that site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Did someone say he was 26? Christ, I thought he was an immature 16 year old.

Serious scumbaggery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Zulu wrote: »
    Did someone say he was 26? Christ, I thought he was an immature 16 year old.

Serious scumbaggery.

No he is 17 I believe, someone posted about their own 26 year old friend who posted abusive messages.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19072301

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

kfallon wrote: »
    Twitter...giving a voice to tits everywhere :rolleyes:
    Dave! wrote: »
    That's a voice I'd like to hear

Granted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

If this was in place when IRC was prominent then we'd all be fooked. No Boards.ie etc

Never mind COD 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Horrible thing to tweet, but really arrested?

What was he charged with?
    Offending a celebrity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

This board is full of little pricks. Where would we imprison them all if the same standards were applied?

Where have you seen people make death threats against others in AH?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Namlub wrote: »
    Where have you seen people make death threats against others in AH?

Silence

I KILL YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭davoxx

http://archbishop-cranmer.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/rileyy69-aka-reece-of-weymouth-and.html

some more info into the flow of the whole thing, but seriously both people involved should grow up ... calling someone an idiot in response to a tweet about letting down his dad is also grossly offensive (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/27) ...

stupid law used in stupid instance, in stupid country by stupid people :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

davoxx wrote: »
    calling someone an idiot in response to a tweet about letting down his dad is also grossly offensive

Is it? I think it's incredibly reserved, considering his dad only died a year ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

The guy is clearly a little prick but I don't agree with arresting him.

Interestingly, another guy was charged for making a lighthearted (and clearly joking) jibe about blowing up a British airport on twitter a few years back. He appealed it and was eventually successful. I don't agree with that sort of persecution, total PC state stuff.

flyswatter wrote: »
    The guy is clearly a little prick but I don't agree with arresting him.

Interestingly, another guy was charged for making a lighthearted (and clearly joking) jibe about blowing up a British airport on twitter a few years back. He appealed it and was eventually successful. I don't agree with that sort of persecution, total PC state stuff.

Persecution? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Im going to have to relax on twitter so , I love nothing more than hurling abuse at stupid celebs like the talifornia crew. Time to find a new hobby :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Harassment happens on a daily basis in real life. If some bum called you a name in real life you'd simply ignore him and roll your eyes.

The character of that interaction changes if that bum went on to follow me around town, persisting in calling me names the whole way down the street, insinuated I had failed my dead parent, and then started talking about all the violent ways he was going to dispose of me.

Namlub wrote: »
    Persecution? :confused:

Well yes. The systematic mistreatment of an individual or group by another group, i.e the authorities when they failed to see the context of his joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Well yes. The systematic mistreatment of an individual or group by another group, i.e the authorities when they failed to see the context of his joke.

You're referring to the Paul Chambers case here right?

• Advertisement

You're referring to the Paul Chambers case here right?

I believe so yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I once told that Nazereen bird that does the weather on sky news that she was lovely on twitter and she replied and said thanks with a smiley face. It was one of the happiest days of my life.

See I thought you meant prosecution but thanks for providing that definition...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

When I heard about it I thought it sounded ridiculous. I later discovered the threat to drown him and assumed it was for that tweet. But I haven't seen that tweet mentioned in any report on the story as being the offending action; only the one about his father. So it's either stupid or the reporting is stupid.

Either way, this is only happening because the guy is a famous sportsman. And that I find nearly as stupid. I've seen far worse on twitter, I've even reported worse, and seen nothing done to the offending account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

It's good to see this little f*ckwit getting in proper trouble for casually flinging around death threats on twitter.

Yes it's only getting picked up because it was towards a celebrity, but at least this example may make other f*ckwits think twice before doing the same to someone else.

• Advertisement

davoxx wrote: »
    http://archbishop-cranmer.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/rileyy69-aka-reece-of-weymouth-and.html

some more info into the flow of the whole thing, but seriously both people involved should grow up ...
    Interesting article that surmises it's all Tom Daleys fault: "this would never have escalated into a criminal investigation and arrest if Tom Daley had simply decided to turn the other cheek."

Insightful, I have to say. Here was I thinking it was the fault of the chap that makes it his business to harass people; the chap that spends his idle time abusing strangers; the chap the threatens to kill people to look hard.

Who would have thunk it was actually the person who was threatened. I suppose if Tom never existed then poor Reece wouldn't have been able/have had to threaten him.

Bananas article! :rolleyes:

Interesting article that surmises it's all Tom Daleys fault: "this would never have escalated into a criminal investigation and arrest if Tom Daley had simply decided to turn the other cheek."

Insightful, I have to say. Here was I thinking it was the fault of the chap that makes it his business to harass people; the chap that spends his idle time abusing strangers; the chap the threatens to kill people to look hard.

Who would have thunk it was actually the person who was threatened. I suppose if Tom never existed then poor Reece wouldn't have been able/have had to threaten him.

Bananas article! :rolleyes:

I did not take that the article was blaming Tom, it was blaming the twitter warriors who turned like a rabbid mob on the kid, it seems that kid is a 17 year old living in a guest house, I am only guessing he was in care till he turned 16 and is now out on his own.

So a 17 year old living by himself says something really stupid, then the person he aimed his comment at gets understandably upset. Then people it has nothing to do with turn on the guy, react to bullying with guess what bullying.

While twitter and Facebook etc have a huge social utility, there is also a very dark side. While this guy was stupid, he said sorry straight away when that did not work he reacted as many teenagers do and kicked out.

...he said sorry straight away
    No he didn't. He said sorry after the tide turned against him. (before or after the death threat?)

If Tom had "turned the other cheek" as the article suggested, this clown would still be threatening strangers; he'd still be abusing & harassing people.

No he didn't. He said sorry after the tide turned against him. (before or after the death threat?)

If Tom had "turned the other cheek" as the article suggested, this clown would still be threatening strangers; he'd still be abusing & harassing people.

My reading of the tweets he said the stupid comment then followed it up with 3 more then said sorry then the threats started aims at another twitter person in which he stated he would drown Tom.

Yes it would have been best in my opinion for Tom to ignore the guy, he understandably did not.

Many on here and other places have attacked this guy with bile and serious threats, without understanding anything about the guy.

It is clear that there is no way this kid would have carried out his threats, and are as serious as a 12 year old saing he was going to kill the babysitter because she was saying no more tv.

A bit of perspective here, if people did not want to listen to this guy it's very simple they delete him from their account on twitter, or do what I do don't go on twitter or Facebook way too many idiots saying serious rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

I did not take that the article was blaming Tom, it was blaming the twitter warriors who turned like a rabbid mob on the kid, it seems that kid is a 17 year old living in a guest house, I am only guessing he was in care till he turned 16 and is now out on his own.

So a 17 year old living by himself says something really stupid, then the person he aimed his comment at gets understandably upset. Then people it has nothing to do with turn on the guy, react to bullying with guess what bullying.

While twitter and Facebook etc have a huge social utility, there is also a very dark side. While this guy was stupid, he said sorry straight away when that did not work he reacted as many teenagers do and kicked out.

Completly disagree with you. If you're going to spout hate at people on the Internet you can't be surprised if you're dirided for it on the Internet.

And what this guy said went way beyond "stupid", it was vile, and it was a death threat. There's consequences for your actions, and I've zero sympathy for the guy.

It is clear that there is no way this kid would have carried out his threats, and are as serious as a 12 year old saing he was going to kill the babysitter because she was saying no more tv.
    I disagree. Neither you nor I know this guy. He is 17 though. And 17 year olds are very different to 12 year old when it comes to threats. And he's threatening an 18 year old.

17 year olds can be violent, dangerous criminals. This guy could be a violent criminal. Certainly he's proven himself to be an aggressive, abusive, disrespectful, and threatening person. It's no great leap for an 18 year old to think he could be capable of stabbing someone, he certainly shares similar "qualities" to the ilk of character that would.

tigger123 wrote: »
    Completly disagree with you. If you're going to spout hate at people on the Internet you can't be surprised if you're dirided for it on the Internet.

And what this guy said went way beyond "stupid", it was vile, and it was a death threat. There's consequences for your actions, and I've zero sympathy for the guy.

I agree if you say crap on the Internet then expect to be corrected, but I don't agree with reacting to a stupid bully kid with bully comments. That my only issue, if you look at the twitter feed there had been a ongoing feud between the guy and another twitter user. The threats are actually aimed at that other twitter user in what is a fight between those two guys. It's stuff that goes on on twitter and face book everyday, we only get to see it because he twitted a stupid comment to Tom Daley.

The funny thing is I have heard many guys in a pub saying way worse about soccer players on TV.

tigger123 wrote: »

I disagree. Neither you nor I know this guy. He is 17 though. And 17 year olds are very different to 12 year old when it comes to threats. And he's threatening an 18 year old.

17 year olds can be violent, dangerous criminals. This guy could be a violent criminal. Certainly he's proven himself to be an aggressive, abusive, disrespectful, and threatening person. It's no great leap for an 18 year old to think he could be capable of stabbing someone, he certainly shares similar "qualities" to the ilk of character that would.

And from what I know the police investigated and released him with a warning. Look at his videos online this guy is a little boy trying to play the hard man I doubt he is a threat to anyone.

Yes he is disrespectful etc. but what about all the people who are doing exactly the same to him. By all means the police should be involved and deal with the matter, but I object to reacting to a bully by being a bully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Dont disagree but look at that profile picture on twitter.
    If someone had kept a 40 watt bulb behind him it would have been an x-ray.

Highly doubt the little man would say this crap face to face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Free speech doesn't include hate speech, slander or libel.

I just took a cursory glance at his Twitter page and he's a foul mouthed troll who enjoys threatening to cripple people. I also see he has offered a less than profound apology
    why don't you respond to me you prick stop getting me hate alright I've said I'm sorry now fuck off

• Advertisement

...I doubt he is a threat to anyone.
    He's probably not, but he's threatening an 18 year old. He mightn't know that.

I agree somewhat with your point though. I don't condone similar responses to his, if they are somewhat deserved.
    inforfun wrote: »
    Highly doubt the little man would say this crap face to face.
    True, but he's exactly the type of person who'd carry a knife cause they think it makes them hard. He's exactly the type to mouth off when he's in a gang with 10 of his mates. He's exactly the type who'd pull a knife if egged on by his mates.

Frankly, his behavior needs to be corrected before it has the potential to escalate into something more serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Oh, i agree, you never can be too sure. A knife is easy to hide. But still, this particular kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Angeles

God, I'm glad I was a teenager in the ninety's when all the stupid **** young people say wasn't recorded for all time.

While all of us may of said/done some stupid **** as teens back then.
    I don't recall myself or any of my friends ever ringing up somebody's home to tell them we were going to kill them with a knife.
    There's stupid and there's that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

I don't use Twitter but surely they have terms and conditions when you sign up? Like not threatening others, discussing illegal practices etc etc??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

blackwhite wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19059127

Daley's father died last year from cancer.

For those that haven't seen it, the offending tweet (and some of the reaction) is posted here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79993723&postcount=6707.

What sort of country is the UK becoming when a person can get arrested for this?
    Yes, it's a pretty horrible thing to say, and the teenager who tweeted it is clearly a nasty piece of work, but for this to be an arrestable offence is a sad reflection on what the UK police forces have become.
    "Political correctness gone mad" is a phrase bandied about far too often, especially on these boards, but in this case I think it's very appropriate. The UK is becoming more and more authoritarion, freedom of speech no longer exists and it seems more and more that anybody who says anything that the moral majority don't like is being criminalised.

its not slagging. its nasty and being a teenager does excuse you from everything. if i were in dales position i would hunt the fuccker down .

The character of that interaction changes if that bum went on to follow me around town, persisting in calling me names the whole way down the street, insinuated I had failed my dead parent, and then started talking about all the violent ways he was going to dispose of me.
    It would but that's not exactly what happened here. He made the comment and a whole load of people reacted. If the comment was ignored there'd be no issue at all but the whole things turned into a flame war. I'm not defending the guy but I don't think the others involved are any better. It takes two to tango.

If some random nobody insults you and you simply ignore it, in most cases that's the end of it. If they continue into harassment that's a different story.

If the comment was ignored there'd be no issue at all but...
    No, wait, hang on a minute.

If the comment was ignored there still would be an issue. The offensive, abusive, comment would still have been leveled to the 18 year old. That isn't ok.

No, wait, hang on a minute.

If the comment was ignored there still would be an issue. The offensive, abusive, comment would still have been leveled to the 18 year old. That isn't ok.
    Maybe you think it's not OK but it's common among people that age, I'm sure both these young lads have experienced much worse growing up in the UK. It's just as common on the internet. Are you saying any young person that says something mean should be arrested? Obviously you want everyone that comments on a Youtube video arrested as well. We might as well just arrest everyone in the world because nobody is guilt free when it comes to saying something mean, either online or in real life.

Before you run off with your wild straw-man, lets be clear about what I actually said, as opposed to what you appear to have wanted me to say. I said:
    Zulu wrote:
    Now, it appears as though you are contradicting that.
    Maybe you think it's not OK...
    Are you suggesting it is OK because it's common?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Lord of the Bongs

Absolutely daft that one can arrested for posting something on the internet, regardless of content. He should be just banned from using twitter for life and comment removed. End of.

To jail someone for this while others can pay 75 grand to get five and half years off their sexual assault charge is a world got f**kin insane.

Advertisement