Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teenager arrested for slagging Tom Daley on Twitter

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Zulu wrote: »
    Before you run off with your wild straw-man, lets be clear about what I actually said, as opposed to what you appear to have wanted me to say. I said:
    Your comment said the entire issue revolves around his comment against the Athlete and his father. While it's not a nice thing to say it's nothing more than every person in the world hasn't experienced and got over many times in their life. This is only a big issue because the athlete is famous and it turned into flame war rather than just being ignored and forgotten about.
    Now, it appears as though you are contradicting that.Are you suggesting it is OK because it's common?
    I'm not contradicting myself at all, I've had the same stance in every post.

All I'm suggesting it's it's a childish argument that doesn't deserve as much attention as it's getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 TNS Radio

Greetings,

Some passionate responses on this topic, and I do not wish to stir up emotions but it seems to me that the issue here is quite clear. The fact that such a message was written and posted on twitter is perhaps a sad indictment of the mindset of some out there. That said, I cannot support the view that an arrest-able offence has been committed. Being offended by what we say to each other is subjective and since when did sticks and stones cease to be relevant ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

To jail someone for this...
    No one was jailed?!? :confused:
    ScumLord wrote: »
    Your comment said the entire issue revolves around his comment...
    No, I said there would still be "an issue", and I went on to explain what that issue would be.

And I didn't say you were contradicting yourself either.

Not being smart, but you seem to be misreading my posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Lord of the Bongs

No one was jailed?!? :confused:

ok to arrest someone, with the possibility of jail, you straight now? ;)

No, I said there would still be "an issue", and I went on to explain what that issue would be.
    And the issue is his comment. Or is there a different issue?
    And I didn't say you were contradicting yourself either.

Not being smart, but you seem to be misreading my posts.
    I don't see how, you said there is an issue and then explained it was his horrible comment. I said comments like these are a part of daily life that everyone just has to come to terms with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

ScumLord wrote: »
    I said comments like these are a part of daily life that everyone just has to come to terms with.
    So, are you suggesting it is OK because it's common then?

It was either ok, or it wasn't Scumlord. Pin your colours to the mast - I'm saying unequivocally that it was not ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Absolutely daft that one can arrested for posting something on the internet, regardless of content.

That's not practical.

So people could post all your personal details and libellous comments about you on a dedicated webpage set up with the sole intention of making your life a misery and nobody should be arrested because of it?

Makes no sense.

Absolutely daft that one can arrested for posting something on the internet, regardless of content. .

Here comes Lord Of the Bongs again with some wise words.:pac:
    Fighting for the internet rights of Pedos, Rapists & Murderers since 2012.

So, are you suggesting it is OK because it's common then?

It was either ok, or it wasn't Scumlord. Pin your colours to the mast - I'm saying unequivocally that it was not ok.
    I'm not saying it's OK as such, I'm saying it's as common as rainy days or stepping on a plug. Most adults come to terms with these kind of things because you can no more change it than you can change a rainy day.
    The alternative to ignoring it is dragging it out into a few months of torment where nothing will come of it because there's nothing illegal about what he said (in that particular comment). In 5 years the young lad that made the comment will more than likely be a completely different person that won't make comments like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

TNS Radio wrote: »
    Greetings,

Some passionate responses on this topic, and I do not wish to stir up emotions but it seems to me that the issue here is quite clear. The fact that such a message was written and posted on twitter is perhaps a sad indictment of the mindset of some out there. That said, I cannot support the view that an arrest-able offence has been committed. Being offended by what we say to each other is subjective and since when did sticks and stones cease to be relevant ?

Is 'sticks and stones' a legal defence now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 TNS Radio

Yes, in fact it's been used many times ... :-)

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    That's not practical.

So people could post all your personal details and libellous comments about you on a dedicated webpage set up with the sole intention of making your life a misery and nobody should be arrested because of it?

Makes no sense.

I dont actually use twitter but if you are dumb to have all that info online then you are asking for someone to take advantage of it.

RVP 11 wrote: »
    Here comes Lord Of the Bongs again with some wise words.:pac:
    Fighting for the internet rights of Pedos, Rapists & Murderers since 2012.

I see you are still in advanced trolling mode. You should see your internet doctor about that it getting serious :)

I see you are still in advanced trolling mode. You should see your internet doctor about that it getting serious :)

Aha, everytime you get caught out with one of your insanely stupid posts....you turn to the oul troll comments.
    Fantastic :pac:

I dont actually use twitter but if you are dumb to have all that info online then you are asking for someone to take advantage of it.

What if you don't have it online? What if someone you know in real life decides to post it online?

Do you still think they shouldn't face any consequences for doing over that?

Aha, everytime you get caught out with one of your insanely stupid posts....you turn to the oul troll comments.
    Fantastic :pac:

Just stop trolling you will lose that tag eventually.

Just stop trolling you will lose that tag eventually.

lol your tag = braindead muppet.

What if you don't have it online? What if someone you know in real life decides to post it online?

Do you still think they shouldn't face any consequences for doing over that?

I dont know if that happens much? yes there should be consequences but I think the removal of the offensive material and banning of the offender is consequence enough? Arrest and possible jailing is to far, depending on the content. im sure this guy name is in every paper and is known world wide as the littlle prat that he is now, is that not enough?

Will you stop proving my point already! im sure thats a post you could get banned for. is that the height of your intelligence? your sounding like this twitter guy we are discussing here!

Arrest and possible jailing is to far, depending on the content. im sure this guy name is in every paper and is known world wide as the littlle prat that he is now, is that not enough?

I'm talking hypothetically in response to your statement that nobody should ever be arrested for anything they say online regardles of context.

I'm just pointing out that there's loads of examples where people should be arrested for what they say online.

• Advertisement

I'm talking hypothetically in response to your statement that nobody should ever be arrested for anything they say online regardles of context.

I'm just pointing out that there's loads of examples where people should be arrested for what they say online.

Im more thick skinned than most, little internet trolls dont bother me and I dont use internet sites with highly sensitive info about me like FB and twitter, so I guess im not best placed to comment. My immediate reaction to seeing someone arrested for posting on the internet was "WOW really? arrested?"

But yes i guess if words are very poignant and if someone goes to far the should be held accountable, even arrested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

TNS Radio wrote: »
    Greetings,

The issue was not with the initial post or even the next few, the issue was with the tweets that said the guy was going to find and stab another twitter user and a post claiming he would drown Tom Daley. Such postings may or may not be illegal, depending on all the circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Absolutely daft that one can arrested for posting something on the internet, regardless of content. He should be just banned from using twitter for life and comment removed. End of.

To jail someone for this while others can pay 75 grand to get five and half years off their sexual assault charge is a world got f**kin insane.

That's in Ireland only. It just shows how stupidly lax the police and justice system is in this country. That wouldn't happen elsewhere.

I cannot believe that people think he shouldn't be arrested. The stupid pirck should be locked up and taught that he can't be a keyboard warrior and say awful things like that. Whatever your thoughts, you cannot condone making death threats and disrespecting the memory of Tom's late father.
    Also, you can't compare this incident with a sexual assault and say that because this isn't as serious that he doesn't deserve to be arrested. Charge the tw@t, that'll teach him and others that they can't say whatever they want and expect to get away with it. I applaud the police for doing something about it, it is the only way to stop it.

Will you stop proving my point already! im sure thats a post you could get banned for. is that the height of your intelligence? your sounding like this twitter guy we are discussing here!
    Intelligence?
    Have a day off and quit smoking weed, you think everyone that disagrees with you is a troll.
    you think everyone has the freedom to post what they like on the Internet lol.
    Then when someone calls you out for the crap you post, you want action taken
    Haha good man

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

A Welsh football player has been suspended by his club and his twitter account closed over homophobic comments made from his account to Olympic diver Tom Daley. Daniel Thomas, 28, who wrote the comments on his Twitter page, has since apologised.

Article here:
    http://www.towleroad.com/2012/08/welsh-footballer-suspended-for-homophobic-tweet-to-british-diver-tom-daley.html

The comments read:
    “If there is any consolation for finishing fourth at least Daley and Waterfield can go and bum each other #teamHIV.”

The idiot who sent the original nasty tweets to Daley was 17 - this guy is 28 years of age. D*ckhead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,219 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

K.Flyer wrote: »
    He deserves to be arressted and charged, in my opinion what he did was the same as standing outside the guys house and shouting the abuse from the garden gate for all to hear.
    good for you, if such a thing happened in this country would you and you alone pay the cost of the resources used? thought not.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

i think the fact that he is being arrested, cautioned etc. should deter most people from doing something similar.
    i don't think it will. the type who do this sort of thing would do it anyway. i fear arresting some of these people might make them more determined to do it again to see how far they can push things.
    obviously it wont stop everyone.
    so true i'm afraid. their will always be people like him no matter what happens.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

The issue was not with the initial post or even the next few, the issue was with the tweets that said the guy was going to find and stab another twitter user and a post claiming he would drown Tom Daley. Such postings may or may not be illegal, depending on all the circumstances.
    The death threats are a different matter and are serious, although having said that I don't think that kid is in a position to make a valid threat. I'd say if Tom (an Olympic athlete!) shook his fist at the guy in real life he'd wet his pants. I just don't give internet threats much if any credence.
    JupiterKid wrote: »
    A Welsh football player has been suspended by his club and his twitter account closed over homophobic comments made from his account to Olympic diver Tom Daley. Daniel Thomas, 28, who wrote the comments on his Twitter page, has since apologised.

Article here:
    http://www.towleroad.com/2012/08/welsh-footballer-suspended-for-homophobic-tweet-to-british-diver-tom-daley.html

The comments read:
    “If there is any consolation for finishing fourth at least Daley and Waterfield can go and bum each other #teamHIV.”

The idiot who sent the original nasty tweets to Daley was 17 - this guy is 28 years of age. D*ckhead!
    Even that though seems like harmless locker room ribbing. These guys would say that kind of thing to each other all the time, worse often. He was just stupid to stand up and announce it publicly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

RVP 11 and Lord of the Bongs, stop bickering.

• Advertisement

Delighted he got arrested. Bullying and abuse like that should not be tolerated.
    but its a waste of resources and time, if your going to make bullying an arrestable offence then fair enough but as said above this guy was singled out because of the public outrage.

Most people I spoke to didn't even know anything about the 'death treath' and were glad he got arrested purely because of what he said about his dad.

oh god. they might be happy with the idea of living in a fascist police state where people are arrested for saying something they don't like but i don't, and by the sounds of it you don't either. what he said about this mans dad wasn't nice but if people want this idiot to be arrested because he said it then we realy have a problem. death threats are a different story, but maybe it should be up to the recipient to report those threats to the police rather then the police just getting involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

but its a waste of resources and time, if your going to make bullying an arrestable offence then fair enough but as said above this guy was singled out because of the public outrage.

Im pretty sure the reason he was singled out was because a member of the public made a complaint to the cops regarding death threats.

would the police arrest someone if they made death threats against me on twitter if i had one? probably not, i would have to report it.
    if i had a twitter and i saw something said about me i didn't like would the police arrest the person for saying it? most lightly not, and i wouldn't want them to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

would the police arrest someone if they made death threats against me on twitter if i had one? probably not, i would have to report it.
    if i had a twitter and i saw something said about me i didn't like would the police arrest the person for saying it? most lightly not, and i wouldn't want them to.

Lets test it so, you make some death threats and i'll see how far i can pursue it with the cops.

1210m5g wrote: »
    Lets test it so, you make some death threats and i'll see how far i can pursue it with the cops.
    I could murder a pint right now!

• Advertisement

I think it may be time to start regulating the internet more.
    would be to costly and time consuming, the internet is to vast.
    I don't think that's a reason to accept it and give up the fight against it.

yes it is, the fight has allready been lost and can't be won unless you close down the internet altogether which won't happen. giving people more protection such as being able to block anything they may find offensive is something that can be done and is there all ready but people should be educated about it if they don't know about it.

BizzyC wrote: »
    Yes it's only getting picked up because it was towards a celebrity, but at least this example may make other f*ckwits think twice before doing the same to someone else.

no it won't, if their the type to do that in the first place they will do it again and again. arresting them won't make one bit of difference, it will just be doing it because of the recipients status and will be spending money and using resources for no benefit. deterrents are a myth, they don't work nor can work.

smurfs5 wrote: »
    The stupid pirck should be locked up and taught that he can't be a keyboard warrior and say awful things like that.
    yeah, what a fantastic idea. we'l just waste money locking him up just to teach him that he can't be a keyboard warrior and say awful things we don't like. that will solve the problem, as locking up people always solves the problem, never mind the fact their are many who have gone on to re-offend even after being locked up. we do the same to everyone who says something we don't like. next it will be (we should arrest those who criticise the government to teach them that they can't do such an aweful thing) where does it stop?
    smurfs5 wrote: »
    Charge the [EMAIL="tw@t"]tw@t[/EMAIL], that'll teach him and others that they can't say whatever they want and expect to get away with it. I applaud the police for doing something about it, it is the only way to stop it.

no it won't. can guarintee something similar will be before the courts sometime soon again. charging him won't deter these people as deterrents don't and never will work.

1210m5g wrote: »
    Im pretty sure the reason he was singled out was because a member of the public made a complaint to the cops regarding death threats.

yeah but was that member of the public tom daley, or someone who had nothing to do with the whole thing who was just offended and decided to poke their nose in to something that was none of their business and got the police involved? if it was tom daley then fair enough he's entitled to do so if he felt the death threats were real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 YellowPencil

would be to costly and time consuming, the internet is to vast.

yes it is, the fight has allready been lost and can't be won unless you close down the internet altogether which won't happen. giving people more protection such as being able to block anything they may find offensive is something that can be done and is there all ready but people should be educated about it if they don't know about it.

In some ways it could be easier than regulating human behaviour in real life. If I call you a name in the street and I call you a name online, what's the difference? In the second case, you an prove it.

Most websites are very conscious of what they allow to be published for fear of legal action. It's in no way a free for all when it comes to freedom of speech.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

oh god. they might be happy with the idea of living in a fascist police state where people are arrested for saying something they don't like but i don't, and by the sounds of it you don't either. what he said about this mans dad wasn't nice but if people want this idiot to be arrested because he said it then we realy have a problem. death threats are a different story, but maybe it should be up to the recipient to report those threats to the police rather then the police just getting involved.

If that's your idea of a ''fascist police state'' you must lead a really sheltered life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

One police station sending a car to his house to take him down to the station and give him a warning is not a waste of time. 1. Because he will never do anything like it against and 2. it will send a message out to these people that this sort of behavior is not accepted.

Hopefully people will now think twice about abusing people on social networks.

One police station sending a car to his house to take him down to the station and give him a warning is not a waste of time.

yes it is, a waste of resources, a waste of time, and a waste of money.
    1. Because he will never do anything like it again
    we don't know that.
    2. it will send a message out to these people that this sort of behavior is not accepted.
    rubbish. the (it will send out a message blah blah blah blah) is just not true, because if someone is the type to do something they will do it. were wasting our time sending out messages about this and that as no matter how we send them out nobody will get it and or some won't care. its sad but true unfortunately, i wish it was different but it isn't. just close his acount and bann him from twitter. doesn't cost anything, and he won't be able to use it to abuse anyone.
    Hopefully people will now think twice about abusing people on social networks.

no they won't. if their the type to do it they will do it regardless. as i said twitter and facebook should just delete these peoples acounts, its up to recipiants of abuse to report it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

Dear god that little prick deserves a right hiding.
    The **** he comes up with to insult people, i hope he gets 18 shades of ****e knocked out of him.
    18 shades of sh..e?
    is that a new book in the twilight/womens porn series? now with added scat?:confused:

as for that little prick,this is the UK-they will let him off with community service at the most.
    if only the po po took as much notice of the physical and verbal abuse that chavs spew out towards people on the streets here every day,especialy towards anyone who looks different or is vulnerable in some form or another.

some other oxygen thief was jailed here recently if remember correctly,for trolling the families of dead victims on facebook.
    if keyboard warriors across the net want to make any valid point about free speech being at stake they need to grow some balls and learn to take the consequences of what they say is their opinion-they cannot spout anything without consequence,speech without any lawful and moral boundaries woud be a regressive punch in the tits of society.

Advertisement