Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smirnoff Ice ~ Sizes & Strengths.

Options
  • 31-07-2012 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Friend of my who is ceoliac got a 750ml btl of Smirnoff ice in supermarket and it suits him very well, except that he found he had to drink a lot of it before getting a buzz out of it.

It is 4%.

Are the bottles you get in the pub, a higher strength and do they come in 330ml bottles.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Bottles in the pub could be 5% maybe, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smirnoff , But requiring a lot more at home to get a "buzz" would have more to do with the social aspect of the pub enhancing the buzz I would think. Pubs make people "freer" faster in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Given that a 750ml bottle is like drinking 1 1/2 cans of lager, it's hardly surprising.

The thing I'd be most worried about is the sugar content, which I imagine is frightening.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

He could add extra vodka to it to increase the strength, that is essentially what a higher ABV Smirnoff Ice is going to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Bottles in a pub are 4% and 275ml. They are the greatest rip off of all time. Over the years they gradually have reduced the alcohol content from 5.5%. They cost over a fiver normally.
    I know this as the other half has drank them since they came out. Can't get her onto the pints.

kc66 wrote: »
    Bottles in a pub are 4% and 275ml. They are the greatest rip off of all time. Over the years they gradually have reduced the alcohol content from 5.5%. They cost over a fiver normally.
    I know this as the other half has drank them since they came out. Can't get her onto the pints.

What pints have you tried to get her onto? I've found a lot of women who won't drink lager like wheat beers or quality stouts/porters. Even starting her off on "girly" fruit beers is a good way of getting over the "I don't like beer" notion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Bottles in a pub are 4% and 275ml. They are the greatest rip off of all time. They cost over a fiver normally.
    275ml x 4% =11ml of alcohol. A regular shot of smirnoff is 35.5ml x 37.5%=13.3ml of alcohol. So the shot has ~21% more alcohol in it

So for many it is not too dear, as they might ordinarily get a shot and a 200ml mixer. Which in my local is about 2.80+3.80=€6.60.

Spirits are just expensive in general in pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

irish_goat wrote: »
    What pints have you tried to get her onto? I've found a lot of women who won't drink lager like wheat beers or quality stouts/porters. Even starting her off on "girly" fruit beers is a good way of getting over the "I don't like beer" notion.

She doesn't seem to like any of the flavoured ciders. Im not aware of any fruit beers?? She started drinking lager for a while years ago. Gave it up whilst pregnant but hasn't gone back.
    rubadub wrote: »
    275ml x 4% =11ml of alcohol. A regular shot of smirnoff is 35.5ml x 37.5%=13.3ml of alcohol. So the shot has ~21% more alcohol in it

So for many it is not too dear, as they might ordinarily get a shot and a 200ml mixer. Which in my local is about 2.80+3.80=€6.60.

Spirits are just expensive in general in pubs.

When you take price and alcoholic content into consideration it would work out at around a third of the value of a pint costing €4.

She doesn't seem to like any of the flavoured ciders. Im not aware of any fruit beers?? She started drinking lager for a while years ago. Gave it up whilst pregnant but hasn't gone back.

There's a couple available in Ireland, although they're not exactly widespread.

Fruili Strawberry Beer
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHS5TdDEMR6L0lXNjyIg8zOKmcr_5yJf7plUiSUQUQN_jyrSgLIEgyJKaT9g

Liefman's Cherry Kriek
    liefmans_kriek-200x200.jpg

Mongozo
    4583047537_7e1c45e33e.jpg

A lot of women also seem to like Galway Hooker as well, maybe try her on that.

Advertisement