Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting

Options
  • 31-07-2012 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

I'm going to start going further afield with the job searching, and I'm wondering is there any other options other than Bus Eireann and Irish rail. I would prefer not to have to drive as it would work out too expensive.

Concentrating on Dublin, it seems to me that if I go with either of the above I'm looking at city centre jobs only.

Are there any other services available going to places other than the city centre out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭jenniwenni

should have mentioned I live in Mullingar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

you could look to get a lift off someone and share fuel costs
    plenty of people still driving to Dublin daily

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I drive to Dublin from RFB and while that made sense in 2005, I now spend about €750 in fuel every month. Any savings I had by buying a house in Westmeath and commuting have been wiped out in the last few years with spiralling costs and I now want to move back to Dublin. Hell I could keep my house empty and rent in Dublin for the cost of the fuel I would save.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

I'm living not too far from Mullingar and commute to Dublin every day. I used to do it in the car but like others have said, it didn't make sense with time lost, fuel costs etc. So I bought a bike. I know it's not for everybody but it only costs €50 a week for petrol, no parking costs and it only takes me 35 minutes each way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'm living not too far from Mullingar and commute to Dublin every day. I used to do it in the car but like others have said, it didn't make sense with time lost, fuel costs etc. So I bought a bike. I know it's not for everybody but it only costs €50 a week for petrol, no parking costs and it only takes me 35 minutes each way.
    I can't have been the only one who didn't cop that you meant Motorbike rather then bicycle for a minute there.

• Advertisement

I have looked into all of the above suggestions before. I thought that maybe there were some private bus companies running a service.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭TimeClock18

jenniwenni wrote: »
    I have looked into all of the above suggestions before. I thought that maybe there were some private bus companies running a service.

If you can get to Kinnegad there is Citylink & Kearns as well as Bus Eireann.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

flazio wrote: »
    I can't have been the only one who didn't cop that you meant Motorbike rather then bicycle for a minute there.

Apologies, I should have been clearer! LOL

Yeah, good options there. The Citylink times aren't great but the Bus Eireann is pretty regular.

Yeah, good options there. The Citylink times aren't great but the Bus Eireann is pretty regular.

CityLink is on the Half hour with two exceptions in the afternoon

CityLink is on the Half hour with two exceptions in the afternoon

No they're not, They are hourly with some gaps.
    They greatly reduced the service a while back, and it was never every half hour.

• Advertisement

Saruman wrote: »
    No they're not, They are hourly with some gaps.
    They greatly reduced the service a while back, and it was never every half hour.

Sorry by "On the half hour"
    I meant that they come every hour on the half hour. Eg: 7.30, 8.30, 9.30

Would you know if they go anywhere other than the city centre?

jenniwenni wrote: »
    Would you know if they go anywhere other than the city centre?

Citylink goes
    Kinnegad, Enfiled, Lucan Spa, Liffey Vally, Heuston, City Center, Airport

Haven't much clue on Kearns other than it seems to be the cheapest. Think it starts on Dame St on the return leg?

Starts on the quays just by the halfpenny bridge. Well from the city centre anyway. It actually starts at the airport.

The good thing is, there is a midnight bus from the city meaning you can stay out lateish if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭thegoodgirl

I've been commuting for 2 years now. I drive out to miltownpass and get the Kearns bus from there.

I got a yearly ticket for €1,900 and when u take into account the tax saver scheme it works out at about €3.5-€4 each way. The times are suited for commuters. Between half 6 and half 7 there are 4 buses spaced every 15 mins. And then on the way home from 4 there is roughly a bus every 15mins. Good thing I like about them is they have about 10 stops in the city. It just doesnt dump people on O' Connel street like the reast of them.

If I have a work night out or anything I will get the bus eireann at 9 or the citylink at midnight.

Advertisement