Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shop worker stabbed as he waited 25 mins for Gardai

Options
  • 31-07-2012 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/brave-shop-worker-stabbed-as-he-waited-for-gardai-3186240.html
    "A fella with a mask walked into the shop. He took the money from the till and as he was leaving Jahan hit the panic button and he was wrestled to the ground,"

"They struggled with him for about 25 minutes while they waited for guards to arrive.

I can't help think that if the panic button was hit in a bank the responce time would have alot shorter! What would be the expected responce time for incidents like this, anybody know?

The shop is in James Street in Dublin City Centre so I would have persumed it would have been quicker than 25 minutes although it was a Saturday (no time given in the article) and we all know how much time drink related incidents on Saturdays consume garda resources.

Anyways fair play to the chap for tackling this scumbag, I dont think I'd be as brave tbh
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Response time should have been much quicker than that, more Gards than ever on the street at peak times with the new rosters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

davet82 wrote: »
    Anyways fair play to the chap for tackling this scumbag, I dont think I'd be as brave tbh
    Brave or foolish?

I hope he recovers fully from this attack, but really, aside from the slow Police response, what on Earth was he thinking? wrestling a guy with a syringe full of blood for what, a few hundred Euro:confused:

I heard a friend of his talk about him on the news, sounds like a nice guy; must be awful to be separated from his family at a time like this.

It was both brave and stupid.
    Feel sorry for the chap, Gardai could've been a bit quicker allright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

A brave but ultimately, a foolish dude. If a junkie comes at you with a blood(HIV?) filled syringe you let him take whatever the hell he wants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

later12 wrote: »
    Brave or foolish?

i'd have to say foolish too tbh

the chap is probably on minimun wage and to take a blood filled syringe in the arm for a few lousy quid does seem a bit crazy, I wonder will Spar even pay him for his time off, I doubt it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Poor lad,
    He came here from Pakistan in 2002 worked hard,studied a bit and met his wife from Latvia in 2005.
    He has been in the job since he came to Ireland and kept his head down,non drinker ,non smoker apparently.
    In hindsight he risked too much by showing his bravery.
    Anyone using a syringe in an attack should receive the sane sentence as a firearm charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

We need more old men, these guys just tied the thief up and left him on the street.

Sappa wrote: »
    Poor lad,
    He came here from Pakistan in 2002 worked hard,studied a bit and met his wife from Latvia in 2005.

At the same time his student visa was about to run out. Remarkable!

biko wrote: »
    We need more old men, these guys just tied the thief up and left him on the street.

Don't fuck with veterans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

IrishAm wrote: »

Do you know this for a fact? Is there no limit to how low you are prepared to go to make your point about immigration/immigrants? Somehow you managed to ignore that he has been married for seven years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/brave-shop-worker-stabbed-as-he-waited-for-gardai-3186240.html

I can't help think that if the panic button was hit in a bank the responce time would have alot shorter! What would be the expected responce time for incidents like this, anybody know?

The shop is in James Street in Dublin City Centre so I would have persumed it would have been quicker than 25 minutes although it was a Saturday (no time given in the article) and we all know how much time drink related incidents on Saturdays consume garda resources.

Panic alarms don't go straight to Gardaí. They go to the monitoring company who ring a dispatcher who patches them through to the Gardaí who takes the details and dispatches a unit. So it's not really possible to say where the delay was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

What the hell does that have to do with anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I had to hit the panic button when I was held up once years ago (coincidentally quite near there) and they got there really quickly so maybe it was bad luck: lot of robberies happening concurrently or something.

And as for taking a needle to save the shop takings? No fucking way.

The panic button is usually out of sight, often on the floor. Should have waited until he was leaving before hitting it.

Gyalist wrote: »
    Do you know this for a fact? Is there limit no how low you are prepared to go to make your point about immigration/immigrants? Somehow you managed to ignore that he has been married for seven years.

lol
    POOR, young Latvian women are being lured to Ireland with promises of up to €10,000 to "marry" illegal immigrants here, men mainly from Pakistan, most of whom are believed to have wives back in their home countries.

Adverts have been placed in Latvia and, it is believed other Baltic states, seeking women to come to Ireland to marry illegal immigrants over the past two years.

The Latvian authorities are apparently amazed at Ireland's lax controls over arranged or bogus marriages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Problem with those panic buttons is that the alarm doesnt notify the Gardai. It notifies a private security company who then attempt to call to store to determine whether or not its a false alarm, then the notify the Gardai if they get no response. The Gardai probably deal with it as possible incident rather than the wheels screeching something going down response a phones call saying "Being robbed at knife point" would get.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

25 minutes isn't that long for the Gardai and to be honest if I was stabbed I'd rather have an ambulance come before the Gardai, non-story.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

As an aside do the blood filled syringes "always" contain HIV infected blood or is it just the threat that works?

Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

A few year ago I prob would tackle someone down for doing it but now wih a family and child to care for I wouldn't take the risk of being killed and leavin them behind

stovelid wrote: »
    Nice.

Thanks, man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

As an aside do the blood filled syringes "always" contain HIV infected blood or is it just the threat that works?

It's the threat that works. My business was held up once by a guy waving a syringe in the assistant's face.

I don't think anyone gives a **** what the blood contains, just keep it away from me FFS.

If we had the right to bear arms this sort of sh*t would cease.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Even if your "claim" is true, who gives a toss. I still bet the shop guy has been a better citizen and contributed more by way of taxes, not being a scumbag etc than the waste of skin criminal who thought it fine to rob a shop and carry a syringe as a weapon.

The only person who should be condemned is the scumbag,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

lol

Regardless of his immigration status, we could do with more people like him in the country. Hard-working civic minded people who won't take sh1t from the local pond-life.

Like you're going to risk trying to find just out to save your boss 60 or 70 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I work in a shop in Dublin City centre myself.
    I'm used to calling the Gardai and having their "15 minutes" taking an hour.
    The biscuit was well and truely taken a few week back however when I called about a fairly serious issue, but was told they couldn't send anyone, as Westlife were playing that night.

I didn't know the Gardai were such big fans.:rolleyes:

Kess73 wrote: »
    Even if your "claim" is true, who gives a toss. I still bet the shop guy has been a better citizen and contributed more by way of taxes, not being a scumbag etc than the waste of skin criminal who thought it fine to rob a shop and carry a syringe as a weapon.

True. But he is not a citizen of Ireland. And I made my claim purely from looking at the stats.

I'd bet my claim is right, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

i lived in the area and when i rang the guards they were there within 60 seconds.

Advertisement