Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shop worker stabbed as he waited 25 mins for Gardai

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Gyalist wrote: »
    It's the threat that works. My business was held up once by a guy waving a syringe in the assistant's face.

Indeed. I feel that if someone pulled a gun or knife to take my personal belongings I would, if I thought I had a clear opportunity, go for the attack. A syringe though, not a chance, would nearly rather be stabbed than jabbed.

Mind you if I was working in a shop for minimum wage I would hand over the takings if he threatened me with a banana he grabbed from the fruit shelf :) (some of the tight cnuts I worked minimum wage for as a young lad I despised so much I would ask the robber to wait a minute so I could fetch him more money from out the back :pac: ) Have no idea why someone would risk their life to protect a small amount of money belonging to an already wealthy employer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Good point a few posts back

His boss in Spar is unlikely to thank him for this

And probably won't even pay him if he needs time off :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

In uncivilised country's the headline would read "shop worker shoots armed robber in face"

In Ireland its:

"it's shop worker struggles with armed robber and is stabbed while wating 25 minutes for the keystones to show up"

thank god for our laws keeping us all safe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Indeed. I feel that if someone pulled a gun or knife to take my personal belongings I would, if I thought I had a clear opportunity, go for the attack. A syringe though, not a chance, would nearly rather be stabbed than jabbed.

Mind you if I was working in a shop for minimum wage I would hand over the takings if he threatened me with a banana he grabbed from the fruit shelf :) (some of the tight cnuts I worked minimum wage for as a young lad I despised so much I would ask the robber to wait a minute so I could fetch him more money from out the back :pac: ) Have no idea why someone would risk their life to protect a small amount of money belonging to an already wealthy employer.

I lost over €900 that day, but couldn't be annoyed with the staff even though so much cash shouldn't have been in the till.

Oh, and not every business owner/employer is "wealthy".

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mhigh86

A friend used to work in a shop that had a batton and a tazer behind the counter, thought he was safe as houses, untill the day he looked up and had a sawn off shotgun shoved in his face....funny he stopped working there after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I think it's hard to know how you'd react in a situation like that.

I might be scared ****less and do nothing; but I very much doubt I'd take the attitude "it's just money". IMO, the loss of the money isn't the point. It's the humiliation, the indignity of it that's the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭hypersquirrel

I've hit the panic button 2 times. The first time it took 30 minutes and the second time it took over an hour.

A third time I wasn't able to press it and rang the guards after. They arrived in 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Do those robbers know, that it takes ages for the Gardai to arrive? Do they target shops on purpose, from which they know, the Gardai are not round the corner? Just wondering

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Joekers

They should have rang the local garda station and told them that they had a few spare breakfast rolls left over rather than a crime was being committed and they would have been up in less than 5 minutes !

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mhigh86

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Do those robbers know, that it takes ages for the Gardai to arrive? Do they target shops on purpose, from which they know, the Gardai are not round the corner? Just wondering

Ya sure do, most of the younger scumbags think its a great laugh if the cop come, shows there mates how hard they are and the fact nothing evey happens to ya if your robbing shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

holding down the scum bag until gardai arrived would be worth it IF there was going to be any punishment for the said scum bag, but there wont be, so fairly futile!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

IrishAm wrote: »
    A brave but ultimately, a foolish dude. If a junkie comes at you with a blood(HIV?) filled syringe you let him take whatever the hell he wants.
    This lads from a country where they know they can't depend on the police force as opposed to our country where we think we can depend on the police force no matter how many times they let us down. I think it's about time people started standing up to the thugs who think they'll get away with anything because the guards won't stop them and the people their attacking are too afraid to do anything.

It's hard to do it when your on your own but if people as a whole started standing up to the thugs and it became a thing where any thuggery was met with an instant reaction from everyone around them it might do something to put a bit of fear into these guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

mhigh86 wrote: »
    Ya sure do, most of the younger scumbags think its a great laugh if the cop come, shows there mates how hard they are and the fact nothing evey happens to ya if your robbing shops.

If that's a matter of fact, it's up to the cops to sort them out properly. A few weeks in detention, and they will cry for their mammy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

according to the Herald the addict with the syringe is the main suspect in the killing of a 14 year old in Cabra.

Bambi wrote: »
    In uncivilised country's the headline would read "shop worker shoots armed robber in face"

In Ireland its:

"it's shop worker struggles with armed robber and is stabbed while wating 25 minutes for the keystones to show up"

i am surprised he did not have a baseball bat behind the counter. a lot of inner city shops do.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Fuinseog wrote: »
    Bambi wrote: »

In Ireland its:

i am surprised he did not have a baseball bat behind the counter. a lot of inner city shops do.
    Ya and the headline would be foreign national assaults helpless addict in city centre attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Sappa wrote: »
    Poor lad,
    He came here from Pakistan in 2002 worked hard,studied a bit and met his wife from Latvia in 2005.
    He has been in the job since he came to Ireland and kept his head down,non drinker ,non smoker apparently.
    In hindsight he risked too much by showing his bravery.
    Anyone using a syringe in an attack should receive the sane sentence as a firearm charge.
    What does not smoking or drinking have to do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

laughable, here you have a shop assistant preventing crime, a few days ago a member of the GARDAI, gets over 300k compo for a punch in the face, wonder how much this guy will get for being stabbed with a syringe?

Poor lad,
    He came here from Pakistan in 2002 worked hard,studied a bit and met his wife from Latvia in 2005.
    He has been in the job since he came to Ireland and kept his head down,non drinker ,non smoker apparently.
    In hindsight he risked too much by showing his bravery.
    Anyone using a syringe in an attack should receive the sane sentence as a firearm charge.
    What does not smoking or drinking have to do with it?
    I think we can establish from his clean living life that he most likely was not an addict or a lout getting sick in an alley of temple bar.

Bloody hell that's awful :(

And without them knowing the donor of the needlestick injury, that poor man is in for a tough few months if he does pull through :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

hope the guy makes it. thoughts are with him

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Just posted a thread about this.

Geez, the irish times article i linked to really doesnt state all the facts (no mention of waiting for 25 mintues!) bloody terrible!

I was told by friends (who work in the area) today that the spar worker had a heart attack.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I think we can establish from his clean living life that he most likely was not an addict or a lout getting sick in an alley of temple bar.

:confused: So smokers and drinkers are fair game, then?

old hippy wrote: »

:confused: So smokers and drinkers are fair game, then?
    Old Hippy read my original post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

This is quite sad........

I hope he recovers from this!!

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

Goro wrote: »
    Your suggesting he has been a student for over 10 years?

It's 9000 euro a year for Non-Eu student fee's.

So he has spent 90k plus studying and works in a spar?

meh, you've been living under a rock. it doesn't cost 9k to get that college stamp on a little letter every year. theres ways around ways.
    anyways this guy found an EU marriage so he's sorted.

Lars1916 wrote: »
    If that's a matter of fact, it's up to the cops to sort them out properly. A few weeks in detention, and they will cry for their mammy :P

It's up to Judges to actually give punishments, really.

What's the point in Gardaí rushing out the door, arriving at the scene, one of them most likely getting stabbed with the syringe, kicking and fighting with the scummer to beat him into the back of the car (cars which are not fitted with cages or such, so expect a few more kicks on the drive to the station).

Claw him out of the car, drag him to the station and struggle to get him into a cell, only to hear the words 'suspended sentence' and watch him waltz out of court without a care in the world.

It must be intensely frustrating.

It's up to Judges to actually give punishments, really.

What's the point in Gardaí rushing out the door, arriving at the scene, one of them most likely getting stabbed with the syringe, kicking and fighting with the scummer to beat him into the back of the car (cars which are not fitted with cages or such, so expect a few more kicks on the drive to the station).

Claw him out of the car, drag him to the station and struggle to get him into a cell, only to hear the words 'suspended sentence' and watch him waltz out of court without a care in the world.

It must be intensely frustrating.

Lugs Branigan knew how to sort out scumbags but these days it would be called police brutality. most folks here do not want the police to have too many powers which is why in this country they have to ask the criminal nicely to desist and defend themselves with only their moral authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

It's a scary state of affairs when a pizza delivery arrives quicker than the police! I know the Gardaí are understaffed and underfunded (I blame the government and the financial managers rather than the guards themselves) but it really is ridiculous.

I hope he recovers soon - a few hundred euro that wasn't even his just isn't worth it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

It's a scary state of affairs when a pizza delivery arrives quicker than the police! I know the Gardaí are understaffed and underfunded (I blame the government and the financial managers rather than the guards themselves) but it really is ridiculous.

I hope he recovers soon - a few hundred euro that wasn't even his just isn't worth it!!

Then perhaps the solution is to arm Domino's delivery guys and give them a badge, then we could sack our useless, flatfooted, arse scraching cops.

Oh, and if they haven't caught the perp in 30mins or less, you get free garlic bread!

Advertisement