Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shop worker stabbed as he waited 25 mins for Gardai

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

feeney92 wrote: »
    IrishAm wrote: »
    Cool. My name is Jay McCann and I am from Tallaght. He can contact me if he wants to sue me for slander.

Ah heres the explanation.........

Haha

Only in AH do people get on their high horse about someone stereotyping others, then stereotype them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Hmmm...this thread can't seem to work out what it is....is it Garda bashing, immigration bashing, a call to be aloud to bear arms?

A few points that occured to be while reading this thread;

Firstly I would suggest we don't judge the Gardai for responding immediatly because (a) those panic buttons don't go directly through to them and (b) we have no idea what might have delayed them. Lets not judge when we don't know the facts.

Second the workers' nationality/citizenship are surely irrelevent?

Third I'm all for being able to defend yourself but allowing the ordinary citizen to bear arms creates a situation that in my opinion has the potential to be seriously abused ( look at that nut job in the cinema in America for instance).

The attitudes I've seen in other threads suggest that if we did gain the right to bear arms then people would expect to be allowed to shoot/stab/beat at will and claim self defense.

Sorry but a vigilante society is not the answer imo.

Fourth, it is the courts not the police who dish out punishments. Criminals get away with, literally, murder in this country because of the Law and not because our Gardai are incompetent or our Courts don't do their job right.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Hmmm...this thread can't seem to work out what it is....is it Garda bashing, immigration bashing, a call to be aloud to bear arms?

A few points that occured to be while reading this thread;

Firstly I would suggest we don't judge the Gardai for responding immediatly because...

You're related to one, yeah yeah.
    Third I'm all for being able to defend yourself but allowing the ordinary citizen to bear arms creates a situation that in my opinion has the potential to be seriously abused ( look at that nut job in the cinema in America for instance).

Disarming the populace happens when the govt is willing to seriously undertake upholding the social contract against those who would break it, our govt and police are lax in that regard so the least they can do is give the individual the right and means to defend themself, defence of oneself being one of the most fundamental rights there is.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

This thread is beyond deplorable and I am shocked mods haven't taken action.

The facts as we know them are simply this : A foreign national bravely challenged a scumbag who threatened people with a syringe. He fought with his armed attacker for 25 minutes awaiting the arrival of the police who had a station less than 2 minutes away. He has tragically been injured, and has had a heart attack.

Yet we've had people here with absolutely no proof claiming that he is here illegally, that he is abusing the system and that his marriage to his wife is a sham.

That is utter racism. I am actually seething. His name is in the public domain and for posters to slander him like that is not on.

As for 'Jay McCann' from Tallaght, why don't you post a link to your facebook profile so we can all see whether that is indeed you....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It is known that men from outside the EU sham marry Eastern European girls to gain entry to the EU. This is not news.
    However it's not part of this topic as this was a brave man to stand up against a criminal, his background nor his reason to be in Ireland is part of this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Higher wrote: »
    This thread is beyond deplorable and I am shocked mods haven't taken action.

The facts as we know them are simply this : A foreign national bravely challenged a scumbag who threatened people with a syringe. He fought with his armed attacker for 25 minutes awaiting the arrival of the police who had a station less than 2 minutes away. He has tragically been injured, and has had a heart attack.

Yet we've had people here with absolutely no proof claiming that he is here illegally, that he is abusing the system and that his marriage to his wife is a sham.

That is utter racism. I am actually seething. His name is in the public domain and for posters to slander him like that is not on.

As for 'Jay McCann' from Tallaght, why don't you post a link to your facebook profile so we can all see whether that is indeed you....

IrishAm has an amazing ability to threadshit where ever he goes, it's almost supernatural.
    I don't know why we're so goddamn surprised.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

biko wrote: »
    It is known that men from outside the EU sham marry Eastern European girls to gain entry to the EU. This is not news.
    However it's not part of this topic as this was a brave man to stand up against a criminal, his background nor his reason to be in Ireland is part of this thread.

It is known in the same way it is known that some Irish men rape women.

If there was an article about an random Irish individual and I said he was probably a rapist would that be tolerated?

I know that is a bit extreme but the same principle applies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

threadshit

my word of the day now, thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

The courts might respect the rights of the victim and render justice when the judiciary themselves have actually experienced violent crime

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Sappa wrote: »
    Old Hippy read my original post.

I did, still doesn't have any bearing on his attack. As if "clean living" makes him more worthy than us lesser mortals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 TNS Radio

Greetings,

Having read the original post, it raises the question in my mind, should we the people be able to purchase and wear as we see fit anti stab vests if we so choose ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

TNS Radio wrote: »
    Greetings,

Having read the original post, it raises the question in my mind, should we the people be able to purchase and wear as we see fit anti stab vests if we so choose ?

Absolutely not, we can all rely on the timely intervention of the gardai to save us from any attempted stabbings :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Greetings,

That's not going to save you from a needle in the hand though, is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

That's not going to save you from a needle in the hand though, is it ?
    Or anywhere else on the body. A stab vest only makes it more difficult for someone to stab you to death. It's a deterrent against opportunistic stabbers more than anything, someone runs up trys to stab you in the back can't, and runs away again. If they really want to kill you and are determined they can still kill you quite easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 TNS Radio

Well ... Perhaps, but it would still make a huge difference ... I mean The boys in blue wear them for a reason .. The question I'm posing is Should we the people be able to wear them if we see fit ... because my understanding at the moment is the we cannot and in fact if we were to wear one (Anti stab vest) We'd be arrested ... I just find that odd ... any one have an opinion on that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Well ... Perhaps, but it would still make a huge difference ... I mean The boys in blue wear them for a reason .. The question I'm posing is Should we the people be able to wear them if we see fit ... because my understanding at the moment is the we cannot and in fact if we were to wear one (Anti stab vest) We'd be arrested ... I just find that odd ... any one have an opinion on that ?
    There is an Irish website selling them and they make no indication there's any laws against them. It may be like owning a gun that you need to get some cert or license to buy one once you've shown you have a genuine reason for buying one.

I could only find mentions of the laws in the UK and apparently it's legal to own them but not so legal to buy and sell them so that criminals can't use them easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The moratorium on Garda recruitment is the problem here. I don't understand why the army have been allowed to recruit in the past couple of years but the Gardai haven't. :confused:

Advertisement