Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chain wisdom needed!

Options
  • 31-07-2012 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

I'm changing the chain on my 2011 Defy 3 as it's badly needed again.

It's an 8speed, so have been looking at 8speed chains. One thing that is catching me off a bit it the 'link count' quoted on some chains, say for example, the SRAM PC850 has 114 links, but a cheaper KMC 27 has 116 links.

I'm attracted to the SRAM chains as I have the powerlink connectors on another bike and find it great for cleaning the chain.

Is the 116 v 114 irrelevant? I could end up taking a few links from the 116 anyway?

Any other advice, opinions on chains etc are greatly appreciated, my experience is limited to the KMC that came fitted (and gave up after a few months) and a shimano replacement a friend donated to me.

Thanks,
    John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Out of the packet, the chain should be longer than required so it'll need to be resized with a chain breaking tool. The method which I use is to pull the chain taut around the large ring on the front and the large ring on the back. Allow the chain ends to overlap by two links and then remove the excess. The powerlink would count as one of these two links.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

If in doubt then count the links on your current chain. KMC might be cheaper but that does not mean they are any better or worse than Sram. I use a KMC link on my Dura-ace chain, as far as I know if its 8 speed it will be inter-chain-geable:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Calculate the chain lenght....

http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/bike/chain_length/chainlengthcalc.html

And remove any links necessary, simples :)

I like SRAM chains, they are good value chain. I got the PC870 off CRC for 13 euros back at Christmas.

Advertisement