Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Government recommendations on health and the boring life

• 31-07-2012 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭dttq

I sometimes feel looking at government pamplets on health, that to follow such instructions would subject one to a life of boredom and at times misery for the short duration we are on the face of this earth only to decompose after our demise and to be lost forever. "Don't drink", "don't smoke", "don't do drugs, drugs are bad mkay", "avoid the takeaways and ready made meals etc. and eat some healthy nutrious rabbit food packed full of vitamin goodness". Am I the only one who sometimes says "ah get lost, would rather die at 70 with a good track record of living and joy beyond me than living like a monk in boredom for the sake of an extra 10 years"?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

70?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

this thread should come with a health warning...

Can cause drowsiness

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Fcuk the Govt.

Not so long ago one of their trusted ministers recommended that 'people in debt should pawn their gold and silver' for Christs sake. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Did the pamphlet also tell you to avoid paragraphs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Didn't people complain about the last government's policy of "eat, drink & be merry, for tomorrow we may die"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Bad Panda wrote: »
    Did the pamphlet also tell you to avoid paragraphs?

It seems to be written in a paragraph.

Possibly didnt have a second one to add?

good homemade meals can be a hell of a lot nicer than takeaways
    throw in a few spices or whathaveyou and it's great
    feel better after it too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Ghandee wrote: »
    Not so long ago one of their trusted ministers recommended that 'people in debt should pawn their gold and silver' for Christs sake. :rolleyes:
    You have debts, you have assets. Sell the assets to pay off the debt.
    Is there something wrong with this advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Gurgle wrote: »
    Ghandee wrote: »
    You have debts, you have assets. Sell the assets to pay off the debt.
    Is there something wrong with this advice?
    Thing is, what you'd get for your gold and silver wouldn't realistically dent your debts. If you had enough precious metals to make up a dentworthy fund, you'd already have enough wealth to not get into financial difficulties in the first place! Or thereabouts.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

dttq wrote: »
    I sometimes feel looking at government pamplets on health, that to follow such instructions would subject one to a life of boredom and at times misery...

Don't worry, the government has a HUGE pension funding crisis.
    They'll be advocating binge drinking, smoking and suntan machines soon enough to cut peoples lifespans and reduce the financial cost.

In fact, I expect in 20 years time people over 70 will be hunted down like in "Logans Run".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Have you ever eaten real food OP?

shedweller wrote: »
    Thing is, what you'd get for your gold and silver wouldn't realistically dent your debts. If you had enough precious metals to make up a dentworthy fund, you'd already have enough wealth to not get into financial difficulties in the first place! Or thereabouts.....
    You'd be surprised what people build up in their jewelry boxes over a couple of decades worth of birthdays, christmasses, valentines days, anniversaries. They might have sentimental value, but they're still valuable assets.

How can someone complain about crippling car loan payments when they've got €20k worth of jewelry lying around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Gurgle wrote: »
    How can someone complain about crippling car loan payments when they've got €20k worth of jewelry lying around?

...whereas you mysteriously bought a €20k car based on your relatives 'generosity'?

I see what you did there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Can you even stand this government, when you are not drunk? ;)

Confab wrote: »
    ...whereas you mysteriously bought a €20k car based on your relatives 'generosity'?

I see what you did there.
    huh?
    :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

So I guess I'm the only one that's looking forward to being in my 60s with nurses fawning all over me?

Advertisement