Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonezilla - Cloning Laptop Hard Drive

Options
  • 31-07-2012 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I've just ordered a new 500 GB HDD for my laptop to upgrade from the 120 GB disk that is in it.

I want to clone the current windows 7 disk to avoid reinstalling everything etc.

After searching online I think I will use Clonezilla to clone the disk. I just want to check first that the way Im planning on doing it will work.

So basically I plan on attaching the old laptop drive and the new hard drive to my desktop pc via sata and then running clonezilla and performing a device to device clone.

Will this method work? I've read some tutorials that mention attaching one of the drives using a sata to usb connector but as far as I can see it would be better to connect the drives to my pc using sata as I have enough free ports.

Am I right in thinking that?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I've only used the first option, to create images.

Looks right though.

Make a separate backup of anything irreplaceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You're usually better off attaching both to a separate computer alright. Just be careful not to write over a drive that's in the PC!

Advertisement