Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mystery of the exploding beans can

Options
  • 31-07-2012 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

Strange one, I was was opening a beans can the other day and it just exploded out as soon as I went to peel back the lid resulting in a not so nice splash of crap all over the kitchen (and me!). It was fairly loud bang and pressure out of it.

See pictures attached. Most of the beans left in the can were just mush and there was a lot of foamy type of stuff in the can. Any scientific folks have an answer for what happened?

I did contact the company in question and just got a "sorry about that" response.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Built up flatulence

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Better than opening a can of worms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Were you humping the tin? It looks suspiciously like there's cum in your beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Demonic possession.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭boomtown123

Better out, than in... (your tum tum) ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

I did contact the company in question and just got a "sorry about that" response.

yeah happens all the time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Serves you right for buying Bachelor's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

That would never have happened with Heinz.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭narfsnonsense

That looks manky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

syndeyfife wrote: »
    Built up flatulence

I hear that's a real mood killer in the kitchen !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Some plant or organism (besides delicious beans in rich tomato sauce) got in there at the canning process. It started growing and producing carbon dioxide, which built up in the can over time. The analogy is wrong but I can't help visualising the can of beer that Bart shook up for Homer in The Simpsons - hopping and shaking, just waiting to be opened.
    Just count your lucky stars OP. If it had been a can of meatballs, someone could have been seriously injured. BTW, don't even think about scraping the beans off your walls/floor and eating them (however tempting that may be), the organism could be poisonous!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Just looks like someone wanked into the tin.

Though if your man-goo is foamy you probably should see a GP..................and a therapist to sort out your ****-into-bean-tins antics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,623 ✭✭✭TheBody

Is there anything to be said for saying a mass?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,054 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Those beans would never win the "Most Photogenic Beans Nobel Prize", that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Someone obviously tried to kill you by doing a fart into the can before sealing it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Could we have a few pics of the kitchen walls please.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Looks like someone jizzed into it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭Archeron

I reckon a ghost got sealed in the tin by accident, and then exploded out as soon as it got the chance.

Its probably quite angry now too, what with being sealed in a beany casket all this time. Best be careful, he might still be in your house seeking revenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

The beans were too warm going into the tin and cooled and contracted. When you opened it the resulting rush of air in sent the beans out. Blowing your beans like this is not recommended in the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭thomasj

Strange one, I was was opening a beans can the other day and it just exploded out as soon as I went to peel back the lid resulting in a not so nice splash of crap all over the kitchen (and me!). It was fairly loud bang and pressure out of it.

See pictures attached. Most of the beans left in the can were just mush and there was a lot of foamy type of stuff in the can. Any scientific folks have an answer for what happened?

Go on...... spill the beans!

What did you do to the tin before this happened!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭Wossack

obviously some joker shook the can up before putting it away in the cupboard
    Bad Panda wrote: »
    Serves you right for buying Bachelor's.

buy Irish :)

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭aristotle25

aujopimur wrote: »
    Could we have a few pics of the kitchen walls please.

Didnt take any, I suppose the walls weren't too bad, most of it got on my shirt and arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭aristotle25

thomasj wrote: »
    Go on...... spill the beans!

What did you do to the tin before this happened!

Nothing, it was in the cupboard. I did notice the lid on the can was a bit bumped up before I tried to open it but just assumed it was a bit out of shape. Obviously it was the pressure building up inside of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

are you friends with the chap who put his galaxy3 in the microwave?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Rockn

Exploding beans? That's gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Botulism?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I saw a fine mess once when someone put an unopened tinned steak and kidney pie in an oven, BOOM.

What's the sell by date? Is it in this century by any chance :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

OP, I think I speak for everyone in this thread when I say; show us the pics of you/your kitchen destroyed with beans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 TNS Radio

It seems from looking at the photos that you actually had the tin opened completely is that the case ? or did it go KABOOM on you when you broke the seal ?

Kind regards

Advertisement