Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Itinerant preachers and knights of the road

• 31-07-2012 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hello boarders!

I am currently doing a research about itinerants in Ireland and I would like to meet preachers, permanent pilgrims and/or a "Knight of the Road". I understand that this is a type of people who usually shy away from new technology and, not being from this country, I am not too sure who to approach or where to start... Someone told me that they rely on the hospitality of Parish houses, priests and monks.

Do any of you have any idea where I can go to find them? Have you ever met anybody that fits that description?

Thank you for your help! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

Froggy7 wrote: »
    Hello boarders!

I am currently doing a research about itinerants in Ireland and I would like to meet preachers, permanent pilgrims and/or a "Knight of the Road". I understand that this is a type of people who usually shy away from new technology and, not being from this country, I am not too sure who to approach or where to start... Someone told me that they rely on the hospitality of Parish houses, priests and monks.

Do any of you have any idea where I can go to find them? Have you ever met anybody that fits that description?

I am confused by your terminology and wonder if you are too?

In ireland, itinerant does not usually mean 'someone who travels around' but is an old term, often taken as derogatory for a member of the travelling or pavee community, who may or may not be living settled in a house, or relatively settled in a mobile unit, or actually travelling around from site to site.

I understand you are looking for someone who travels around, for religious reasons, however i would suggest that if you tell people you are looking for 'itinerants' you will confuse the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Hello boarders!

I have never known the term itinterant to be a nasty term for travellers. But to try to answer your question, this is something that travelling community used to do but rarely do anymore. I have never known or met a traveller who preaches. Where did you hear all this by the way? Ya gotta be careful when sitting down the local pub because they don't half talk a lot of crap to foreigners who are not from around these parts.

Come here till I tell ya about the ''Knights of the Roadddddd''
    killinaskully.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Froggy7

Ha ha! Thank you for both your replies... and funny picture! You may be right as regards people misunderstanding my use of the word "itinerants".

So to clarify, I am looking for any kind of people living nomadic lifestyle, whether they are Travellers in the ethnic sense, or people forced to travel a lot because of their job, or people who choose to be on the road all the time (in the case of this thread, a choice prompted by the desire to carry a religious message).

So no, I am not particularly looking for Irish Travellers who are preachers, but for preachers who are travellers, not Travellers... if that makes sense!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

Ha ha! Thank you for both your replies... and funny picture! You may be right as regards people misunderstanding my use of the word "itinerants".

So to clarify, I am looking for any kind of people living nomadic lifestyle, whether they are Travellers in the ethnic sense, or people forced to travel a lot because of their job, or people who choose to be on the road all the time (in the case of this thread, a choice prompted by the desire to carry a religious message).

So no, I am not particularly looking for Irish Travellers who are preachers, but for preachers who are travellers, not Travellers... if that makes sense!

:)

yep,that makes it all clear. and so, sorry i don't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭homer911

I think you are looking for this kind of guy - rewind to 1930s USA

• Advertisement
Advertisement