Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbon bike in bad weather

Options
  • 31-07-2012 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

I heard a lot of cyclists would have a different bike for summer and winter.

Should a carbon bike not be brought out in the cold or rain?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

It's not about the material, carbon does not dissolve in rain. It's about getting your "good" bike dirty. Especially during the winter with the salt on the road you don't want that on your good groupset.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mickeycav

I always wondered about this good bike/bad bike phenomenon.
    One q - if you were diligent about cleaning after each ride, would this not eliminate the need for 2 or more bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭granda

mickeycav wrote: »
    I always wondered about this good bike/bad bike phenomenon.
    One q - if you were diligent about cleaning after each ride, would this not eliminate the need for 2 or more bikes?

why would you want only one bike? thats just a silly remark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

I don't think it's about the carbon as such, I think it's more to do with the fact that some would rather not get the grime and slime of the winters roads on their fancy carbon bikes! More so, the groupset is probably where most are concerned about.

That said, I know many people with only one bike. Provided you clean and maintain it properly, particularly a clean after a spin in bad weather you should be fine. You should be doing that anyway! :)

Edit: Walked away from a half written post for a second to get a drink... need to be faster off the mark!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

mickeycav wrote: »
    if you were diligent about cleaning after each ride, would this not eliminate the need for 2 or more bikes?

AstraMonti's bike is the whitest bike in the world. It probably takes him six and and half days to clean it between each club race. If it was any whiter he'd have to marshall on alternate weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

U need a minimum of 3 bikes.....wet, dry and intermediate!

U can never have too many bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Stillweak

granda wrote: »

so you wouldnt have to buy or store a second one.
    how many bikes fit into your dedicated cycling room?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Stillweak wrote: »

Three at the moment. I'd have more but then there would be no space for the sink, cooker, washing machine, fridge and table.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Lumen wrote: »
    Three at the moment. I'd have more but then there would be no space for the sink, cooker, washing machine, fridge and table.

Consider bunk beds. Gives you space for at least three more.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

07Lapierre wrote: »

So for me that means 3 racing bikes, 3 TT bikes and 3 track/fixie bikes

That means I'm currently 2 short - looks like another trip to Belfast is in order ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Beasty wrote: »
    07Lapierre wrote: »

So for me that means 3 racing bikes, 3 TT bikes and 3 track/fixie bikes

That means I'm currently 2 short - looks like another trip to Belfast is in order ;)

The minimum workable number of bikes in any persons collection is n+1 wih n being the current number of bikes owned.

Minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Dipsomaniac

My maths might be a bit rusty but I thought it was m -1

From

m = d

where m = the max number of bikes

and d = divorce

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

274-PIC110430239.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭ratracer

I heard a lot of cyclists would have a different bike for summer and winter.

In my case its' more usually the cyclist that doesn't go out in the cold or the rain:D but then keeping the dust and cobwebs off the bikes becomes bothersome...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Many people on here will view this as a challenge!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

granda wrote: »
    Because life is too short and you only want to ride a good bike all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

RJM85 wrote: »
    The minimum workable number of bikes in any persons collection is n+1 wih n being the current number of bikes owned.

Minimum.

And the maximum is s-1.

Where s=separation from your other half.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    274-PIC110430239.jpg
    I just looked at that picture and my good bike just fell over. You also need more than 1 bike in case 1 is undergoing repairs/ improvements and the bits haven't arrived in the post yet. I am currently campaigning for online companies to use unmarked boxes to avoid the d bit in those equations

• Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Seweryn wrote: »
    Because life is too short and you only want to ride a good bike all the time.

Life's too short to limit yourself to just one bike! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I replaced my Boardman Team Carbon with a Trek Madone 5.2, and then failed to sell the Boardman........if u get my drift ;-) so now I have a wet carbon bike and a dry carbon bike. I love my life.........wife, I meant wife.

• Advertisement
Advertisement