Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regional Work SA - Adelaide

Options
  • 31-07-2012 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi All, Hoping someone could advise on any decent places in SA to do my regional work. I land mid August so hoping to get it out of the way as soon as possible!! I've heard some horror stories so any advice on where to go, where not to go would be really appreciated!! Thanks in advance..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

http://jobsearch.gov.au/HarvestTrail/SearchResults.aspx?HarvestTrail=1&NewJobs=&LocationCode=5

I haven't done any real farm work myself, so i cannot tell you where not to go, but have a look at the harvest trail. It will probably be easier to find something along the Murray river in the outer regional areas. Keep in mind that South Australia, including Adelaide, is classified as regional by immigration, so be sure to scrutinise the list of work you can do. The season will determine what you get, but it's not always just limited to fruit picking! http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/specified-work.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Fiona_2012

http://jobsearch.gov.au/HarvestTrail/SearchResults.aspx?HarvestTrail=1&NewJobs=&LocationCode=5

I haven't done any real farm work myself, so i cannot tell you where not to go, but have a look at the harvest trail. It will probably be easier to find something along the Murray river in the outer regional areas. Keep in mind that South Australia, including Adelaide, is classified as regional by immigration, so be sure to scrutinise the list of work you can do. The season will determine what you get, but it's not always just limited to fruit picking! http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/specified-work.htm

Thanks for the links they're very helpful :) Hopefully i'll get sorted soon, have to get there first.. 2 weeks today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭susy

The hills around Adelaide are really close to the city - like if you're a Celbridge girl the closest hills areas are about the equivalent Adelaide city as Dublin is to you. The bus services aren't great though so you'll really need to be driving.

I've heard stories of folks getting work on some of the smaller local farms and vineyards that sounds interesting enough, a bit more varied than constant fruit picking and quite good. I don't know if that was paid though - sometimes people do volunteer stuff on Organic farms to get the regional work. It's an option.

I don't have links that will help you out but I'd definitely look into places not so far away. Other info about Adelaide I'm pretty good at so give me a shout if you need advice. Pack some warm clothes - it's 4 degrees here tonight! But a sunny 15 by day :)

susy wrote: »
    ... but I'd definitely look into places not so far away.
    ah, don't be fooled into thinking the locals don't want any of the harvest jobs. they do. and south Australia is a sparsely populated place, where a lot of your job competition will concentrated 'not too far away*' from adelaide! I don't mean to put you off, just be aware that's all.

*distance is arbitrary in Australia generally :)

Thanks a million for that. I might have to venture a bit away. Just a balls seems as I have friends settled in Adelaide!! It's only 88 days though so it might be good to go outback and save if that's possible!! I found a few on gumtree.com.au too. I might have to wait until I land to sort it all out first though!!
    It's more the anxiety of the unknown and what ifs that's bothering me right now! :(

• Advertisement

Fiona_2012 wrote: »
    It's more the anxiety of the unknown and what ifs that's bothering me right now! :(
    ara you'll be grand! at the end of the day, absolute worst case you have a return ticket home. no matter how much no one wants to see you having to use it too soon, it's still your backup. anyway, like you said you have friends here to help you out. just keep your eyes pealed for anything across the state including adelaide.

Fiona_2012 wrote: »
    ara you'll be grand! at the end of the day, absolute worst case you have a return ticket home. no matter how much no one wants to see you having to use it too soon, it's still your backup. anyway, like you said you have friends here to help you out. just keep your eyes pealed for anything across the state including adelaide.

Haha forgot to mention I only booked a one way ticket!!
    I've emailed a farm a friend of mine suggested in Vic! I don't mind going farther afield just heard some horror stories so don't wanna travel somewhere and it ending up being dodge central!! That's why I was looking in SA with having friends nearby it would be a little reassuring!
    If you hear of any decent farms or sites keep me in mind! :)

Thanks for all your help!

Advertisement