Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Backpack Reccommendations?

• 31-07-2012 1:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭

My trusty backpack (designed for cycling) burst it's zip yesterday after about 8 years of daily use so I'm looking for a replacement. Any reccommendations out there? Looking at the Kno bag and it's hard to justify the £120ish they're asking for the Alpinestars bag.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

Kriega R25

Got one a while ago in Megabikes and is the most comfortable bag i've used. Pricey around €125 but it comes with a 10 year warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I bought a backpack in Shaws for €30 last year. Fully waterproof (I drive in all weather so it was put to the test) and big enough for a change of clothes for work, my lunch and a few essentials. Sat comfortably on my back but I know some people prefer a bit more support on the bike. I personally wouldn't bother with an expensive backpack unless I was always going to be carrying around a laptop or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

If its just a run around backpack then I suggest you look in argos. I got a 45ltr exspandable backpack with a neon orange waterproof cover that tucks into the base. Its an absolute gem of a backpack, it also has a steel inner bar (which is removable) running down the spine to give it support. I use it to carry my Canon 7D camera to the road races and my grub....never let me down. It also has the shoulder and hip straps to take the strain off the back.

It cost me €35.99

Kreiga are the business all the same if you have the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

ive got a deuter 20l bag from one of the outdoors shops - great yokes, and would recommend. Pricey though iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I don't know if you mind ordering online but Louis have a good few backpacks on sale now.
    The prices are pretty good for the brands that are on sale.
    Linky

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Knox all the way, and then some!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

I picked up one of these a few weeks ago

http://www.tesco.com/direct/wenger-backpack-black/506-6072.prd

Tesco are doing a deal if you have 10 tokens the bag costs €15 they are usually close to €60

Good bag for the money, i went up to cavan a few weeks ago and had plenty of room for a change of clothes etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    If its just a run around backpack then I suggest you look in argos. I got a 45ltr exspandable backpack with a neon orange waterproof cover that tucks into the base. Its an absolute gem of a backpack, it also has a steel inner bar (which is removable) running down the spine to give it support. I use it to carry my Canon 7D camera to the road races and my grub....never let me down. It also has the shoulder and hip straps to take the strain off the back.

It cost me €35.99

Kreiga are the business all the same if you have the money.

I hope you removed it when on the bike.

Del2005 wrote: »
    I hope you removed it when on the bike.

No mate...why would I?

Its just a steel flat bar about 1" wide that give the bag a nice stiffness. I wear an Knox Ageia 9 plate back protector and chest block anyway. But even if I did not I still would keep it in the there. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Kriega R25 or Knox 6-pack. Both great bags, with the Kriega maybe slightly better for waterproofing and comfort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

No mate...why would I?

Its just a steel flat bar about 1" wide that give the bag a nice stiffness. I wear an Knox Ageia 9 plate back protector and chest block anyway. But even if I did not I still would keep it in the there. ;)

Metal and bones don't go together. You're reducing the effectiveness of the back protector by having a metal bar behind and since the bag hasn't been designed for motorbike use, if you fall off who knows where it could break out of the bag and what it could hit.

Yeah I get what your saying Del, but the bar is slight so not much of a risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8506

This used to be £11.99, it's gone up a bit but you'll find cheaper elsewhere..

I bought this years ago and have used it so much...has a place for your helmet that folds out of front pocket. The main compartment can hold a LOT. It's massive. And it folds up so small that you can leave under your bike seat. It's not padded or waterproof (resistant) though...but it's so cheap, it's great to have and you don't really care about throwing it around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Thanks for all the input, went for this in the end:
    http://www.louis.de/_20c8943198584914dc8b1850c008186f46/index.php?topic=artnr&artnr=10026241
    I'll post up my thoughts once it arrives.

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the input, went for this in the end:
    http://www.louis.de/_20c8943198584914dc8b1850c008186f46/index.php?topic=artnr&artnr=10026241
    I'll post up my thoughts once it arrives.

That looks pretty decent in fairness. Let us know how you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Yeah, I needed one of the larger bags, (a lot of them are only around 20L, that one is 30L) as I will be using it for my weekly shopping!

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Yeah, I needed one of the larger bags, (a lot of them are only around 20L, that one is 30L) as I will be using it for my weekly shopping!

Nice one. A tank bag/tail pack would be useful too for heavier items so it's not pulling on your back, although you probably do that already.

Good stuff.....dont forget the cans of MONSTER!!!!

Good stuff.....dont forget the cans of MONSTER!!!!

Can NEVER forget them!! :cool: Tesco's doing them 2 for €2.50! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭KingIsabella

I've a k pack and hasn't done me wrong! Cheap too. Only thing is that sometimes i wish the straps would go tighter when its empty but not a problem when theres anything in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 pjackson

I got the Kriega R 25 for 110 euro from these guys. Good service too.
    http://www.motorcycleshop.ie/kriega-r25-rucksack-1300-p.asp

pjackson wrote: »
    I got the Kriega R 25 for 110 euro from these guys. Good service too.
    http://www.motorcycleshop.ie/kriega-r25-rucksack-1300-p.asp

I think that is pricey for the size of it 25ltr....they are a great solid bag all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Ended up getting myself a Kriega R30 back pack in Mega bikes today, well chuffed with it tbh

Sweet....how much Greenie?....them not cheap them MEGABIKES crowd. But its an absolute SAVAGE piece of kit.

http://www.kriega.com/r30/

Sweet....how much Greenie?....them not cheap them MEGABIKES crowd. But its an absolute SAVAGE piece of kit.

http://www.kriega.com/r30/ [/QUOTE]

It was 170 got it for 160, its the newer bag they have brought out, well chuffed with it :D

Might try to get one aswell.....talk about versatile man.

Might try to get one aswell.....talk about versatile man.

Im like a child a christmas, im thinking of when i can wear it even with nothing in it :D, can't stop looking at it haha

PMSL...what ever turns you on!!! Start making excuses for bike trips now just to fill it.

• Advertisement

Meet Green Martian at the recent bike spin (sound lad, great craic) and seen the Kriega in the flesh. It really is a superb piece of kit, the build design and workmanship is 2nd to none. Deffo gonna try get one of the "R" series over the next few weeks.

Highly recommend the R30.

Advertisement