Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any hope for the month of August ?

Options
  • 31-07-2012 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

hi folks , June and July has been a real let down , I'm trying to keep myself sane in thinking we might finally get a bit of good weather for August :) what do you guys think ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Unfortunately when much of June and July goes bad so will August. Fortunately there are exceptions in the rule and August buck the trend. If there is no improvement in August there usually is in September.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

September 1985 was lovely after (IIRC) it rained all summer....every day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

Pathetic weather -worst hit is Cork bloody brutal every day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭shooter57

tell me about it ! it's hard to keep the spirits up when all we have is grey skies and rain . Trying to entertain young kids when they can't play out is another story . so come on weather guru's , can you give us some hope ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

Cant wait for the schools to go back, leaving cert week and when they return after summer holidays guarantees hot weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Sponge Bob wrote: »

We'll probably get a decent week in September - this is often the pattern after a rubbish summer!! Indeed the last few years the "Irish summer" has consisted of one week in March/April and one in September:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Steven81 wrote: »
    Cant wait for the schools to go back, leaving cert week and when they return after summer holidays guarantees hot weather.
    :confused: Leaving Cert week this year was a showcase of crappy weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Bsal

Kuwait got up to 51c today OKBK 311130Z 07004KT CAVOK 51/M05 Q0996 NOSIG. Pity they can't share a bit of that with us :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I think it's the collection of bad Summers is what's getting to me
    People have short memories, the last 3 or 4 Summers have been equally bad as far as i'm concerned.
    May not say on the stats, but last year eventhough it wasn't as wet was quite cool and very cloudy.
    Indeed the average temp last Summer was very depressed

What's causing this run of mediocre Summers is anyone's guess
    I heard the eagle say recently that our expectations are just too high
    I wonder John, I remember plenty hot sunny weather in my youth!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Birdnuts wrote: »
    We'll probably get a decent week in September - this is often the pattern after a rubbish summer!! Indeed the last few years the "Irish summer" has consisted of one week in March/April and one in September:(

a week in March/April, one in September...and two weeks in.... SPAIN!!
    May not say on the stats, but last year eventhough it wasn't as wet was quite cool and very cloudy.
    Indeed the average temp last Summer was very depressed
    .......our expectations are just too high
    I wonder John, I remember plenty hot sunny weather in my youth!!

Have to agree there, last year I thought summer was a lot colder and even tho this one hasn't been much better we had more humid/warm days where shirts in work sufficed as opposed to the same clothes I wear in winter all summer long last year. Crapski. I remember better summers as a kid too, not heatwaves all summer long but longer stretches of warm pleasat weather. Bah....to Spain so!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

August will have a few good days but overall it will be cool. However there should be a few nice days from time to time just not any prolonged dry spells.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

looking out the window in cork i can see the trees in the garden being nearly blown down plus this awful misty annoying rain-november doesnt get much worst than this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I'm going back to bed. went out for 1/2 an hour and I'm soaked.

Indeed last summer was cold , I remember having to wear a jacket everyday . A bit warmer this summer but the f****n rain everyday is awful .
    I remember long ago back in the 80's as a kid we seemed to have proper summers , remember goin to bed crying with sunburn ! Don't think there was such thing as suncream back then . It's just a pity our kids don't experience the summers we did .

I'm going back to bed. went out for 1/2 an hour and I'm soaked.

Depressing isn't it . Although it's a lovely morning here in Dublin. Sunny and warm .A bit windy . Any minute now the rain should be here !

Bsal wrote: »
    Kuwait got up to 51c today OKBK 311130Z 07004KT CAVOK 51/M05 Q0996 NOSIG. Pity they can't share a bit of that with us :D

Life would be soo much easier living in a warmer climate . Although in 51 deg C we'd probably be moaning aswell !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

September has form when it comes to bad June,July & Augusts, i have no scientific proof but from my experience in the Dublin region, 1985 was a shocker of a summer but a brilliant September again 2002 was very poor but the end of August and end of September turned out better than the previous 3 months. 2007 was the start of this current run of bad summers and September was very pleasant that year this pattern has continued since although I thinks last years good September spell was shorter than previous years.I don't ever remember having a terrible June & July followed by a long period of good weather in August.

So we might get a spell in September . At least that's something . The only thing is the kids are back and we can't go anywhere , we need it now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

I am back in Ireland 4 yrs now and I haven't had a decent summer since our return.
    I remember when we were kids in the 80s and once school finished we were in shorts and t shirts,playing rounders with the locals on warm summers night or just being outside almost every day.
    Went for a walk with the madra last night and I had to put the rain gear on,brollie got blown apart.
    We have had the heat on a dozen times this month,it's the constant rain,grey skies and wind.
    Moving over seas next year and our main reason is to get to somewhere with a decent climate.
    The if only Ireland had good weather it would be such a fantastic country,but that's never going to happen here it's a two season country extreme winter wet weather or milder wet gloomy weather with the odd tease of a sunny day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Funny enough, that was my first year in secondary school.....and a very vivid memory I have is of a scorching hot September day, in one of the first few weeks at school, windows wide open, some poxy boring class.......

in the middle of it, some kid came along with a ghettoblaster (as they were in dem days in our ghetto) and sat down on the street outside our classroom, and played the whole of the Unforgettable Fire album .....pure bliss for forty minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Sappa wrote: »
    I am back in Ireland 4 yrs now and I haven't had a decent summer since our return.
    I remember when we were kids in the 80s and once school finished we were in shorts and t shirts,playing rounders with the locals on warm summers night or just being outside almost every day.
    Went for a walk with the madra last night and I had to put the rain gear on,brollie got blown apart.
    We have had the heat on a dozen times this month,it's the constant rain,grey skies and wind.
    Moving over seas next year and our main reason is to get to somewhere with a decent climate.
    The if only Ireland had good weather it would be such a fantastic country,but that's never going to happen here it's a two season country extreme winter wet weather or milder wet gloomy weather with the odd tease of a sunny day.

Funny, we have a four year old and he is yet to see a summer here.

He had one good fortnight, back in June of 2009. Thats been more or less it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Any hope? I think this says it all. :D

weatherforecast.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

to answer the OP's question - NO.
    Look at the occlusion wrapped around the low, I've never seen anything like it at this time of year!
    edit: actually I don't think I've ever seen anything like it at ANY time of year.
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/charts/FSXX00T_72.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

This is a MetEireann forecast from 12 August 2008.. plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
    The weather continues to remain very unsettled with no hope at all of any real improvement this week or over the weekend. Most of the showers will die away tomorrow night and it will be fairly clear through the night-time. Thursday and Friday won't be the wettest days of the week. There will be showers on Thursday but also good dry periods when the weather may be nice and bright and sunny. There will be a good deal of dry bright weather too for the first half of Friday. But then during the day on Friday cloud will increase and outbreaks of rain will start to develop. But it will be over the weekend that the rain will get very heavy once more.
    During Saturday another Atlantic depression will come close to Ireland. That will give more torrential rain, cloudbursts and downpours and lead on to more flooding. Then an improvement for Sunday but the day is still likely to be showery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Bright and sunny this evening again..

Only been three or four days I'd call 'bad' in the past two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Harps wrote: »

We must live in separate countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

I live up the road in Ballybofey and its been wet, miserable and windy :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I'm on the west coast around Dungloe at the moment, should probably update my location.

We had a few heavy showers this morning but it was bright and sunny all evening. Yesterday was a terrible day but it hasn't been that bad recently, plenty of warm sunshine over the past week

• Advertisement

it turned out to be a beautiful evening here in Dublin too , wasn't a bad day apart from two heavy showers , from 6 to 9pm it was lovely and sunny , gone quite cool now though .maybe there is hope afterall:D

Advertisement