Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any hope for the month of August ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

pauldry wrote: »
    August will have a few good days but overall it will be cool. However there should be a few nice days from time to time just not any prolonged dry spells.

What I am hoping for is dry days anyway -- Its August after all so we cannot expect high temperatures .

If we get a dry day 8 hours during daylight hours , I would now consider it a prolonged spell

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

JM Skipton wrote: »
    September has form when it comes to bad June,July & Augusts, i have no scientific proof but from my experience in the Dublin region, 1985 was a shocker of a summer but a brilliant September again 2002 was very poor but the end of August and end of September turned out better than the previous 3 months. 2007 was the start of this current run of bad summers and September was very pleasant that year this pattern has continued since although I thinks last years good September spell was shorter than previous years.I don't ever remember having a terrible June & July followed by a long period of good weather in August.
    You've just described why there's a lot of truth in the St Swithin's day legend JM.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

What I am hoping for is dry days anyway -- Its August after all so we cannot expect high temperatures .

If we get a dry day 8 hours during daylight hours , I would now consider it a prolonged spell

True indeed. THe next couple of days could turn out OK away from the West coast with a lot of sun. Granted there will be a few showers but if you go to www.raintoday.co.uk you will see when they are likely to hit your area before you go out the door.

In Sligo we seem to have had the driest Summer in Ireland but most of it has been at night. im currently moonbathing in 13.1c heat. Does 55F sound better?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I went out to get herbs from the garden. It wasn't raining as I stepped outside the back door. Bent over to get some tarragon - the heavens opened. By the time I got back inside - a distance of about 4 feet - the downpour had turned to a light drizzle. I, however, was drenched. :mad:

Knowing my luck we'll get a great week in Sept - and it will be the week I booked in Spain. :(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

You've just described why there's a lot of truth in the St Swithin's day legend JM.

There is definitely somethimg to the folklore.

The 'European Monsoon' that often occurs from late May through June (as has happened this year and for a number of years!) often settles down by early July with more settled 'summer' weather by mid-July through to August as a result of a shift in the jet stream.

I recckon the folklore comes about by reason that if you're still getting Atlantic systems/rain coming in the middle of July you've had your chips for the rest of the summer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Any hope? I think this says it all. :D

weatherforecast.jpg

I was unemployed last summer and so was more keenly watching the weather forecast, as I'd be out and about more than usual.

Their hit rate was well below 50%, to the point that I did find it unhelpful to follow the weather forecast. If they said it was one thing, it was more likely to be the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

DOCARCH wrote: »
    There is definitely somethimg to the folklore.

The 'European Monsoon' that often occurs from late May through June (as has happened this year and for a number of years!) often settles down by early July with more settled 'summer' weather by mid-July through to August as a result of a shift in the jet stream.

I recckon the folklore comes about by reason that if you're still getting Atlantic systems/rain coming in the middle of July you've had your chips for the rest of the summer!

Presume the opposite happened in 1995, think the jet stream shifted north as early as the end of April that year and stayed there which then led to a scorching August.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    September 1985 was lovely after (IIRC) it rained all summer....every day.
    Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Funny enough, that was my first year in secondary school.....and a very vivid memory I have is of a scorching hot September day, in one of the first few weeks at school, windows wide open, some poxy boring class.......

in the middle of it, some kid came along with a ghettoblaster (as they were in dem days in our ghetto) and sat down on the street outside our classroom, and played the whole of the Unforgettable Fire album .....pure bliss for forty minutes.

I too have some very strong memories of September 1985 and it's probably because of the awful summer that had preceded it, plus the fact that I was in my last year of secondary school.

First one is of the journey home on the school bus one Friday evening. It being a Friday was good in itself but the sun was beaming down out of a clear blue sky and at an angle that picked up the leaves on the trees that were starting to turn colour. There was just something about the quality of the light that evening. And then, out of the radio on the bus came Walking on Sunshine from Katrina and the Waves. A song has rarely felt so apt....

Second memory is of a Sunday afternoon later in Sept '85. Another sunny day with a very light wind from the southeast. I love it when the wind comes from that direction !! We lived in a small village and I was in an upstairs room which was flooded with light and the gentle rustle of leaves outside could be heard though the open windows. I was reading The Great Gatsby which was on the English curriculum that year. I liked reading so this really wasn't like work and that is one amazing book. The weather conditions I was reading it in seemed to make it even better !! Then two friends of mine pulled up in a car outside so I went down, sat into the back and shot the breeze with them for a while. Simple times but good times.

Sorry for the taking the thread off topic OP those memories just came flooding :D back. Maybe we should start a September 1985 thread...!!

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

I think it's the collection of bad Summers is what's getting to me
    People have short memories, the last 3 or 4 Summers have been equally bad as far as i'm concerned.
    May not say on the stats, but last year eventhough it wasn't as wet was quite cool and very cloudy.
    Indeed the average temp last Summer was very depressed

What's causing this run of mediocre Summers is anyone's guess
    I heard the eagle say recently that our expectations are just too high
    I wonder John, I remember plenty hot sunny weather in my youth!!

There is an interesting thread about 2012/2013 winter that is worth reading and may give those of us with only face value insight into the weather a heads up as to the actual phenomenon of ****e weather that we are experiencing x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

The thread title reminds me of my uncle who year after year would predict that August was going to be a good month weather-wise and he was invariably wrong, so much so that it became a running joke in our family.

The interesting thing about this though is that his prediction was based on the not exactly ideal conditions we were experiencing while trying to save hay in June/July. We NEVER failed to save the hay though during June and July, so while those summers in the main weren't scorchers, they were far better than the last few summers we've had. The thought of having no choice but to try and save hay this year almost makes me ill. Thankfully it's all silage in the home place now.

• Advertisement

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I was unemployed last summer and so was more keenly watching the weather forecast, as I'd be out and about more than usual.

Their hit rate was well below 50%, to the point that I did find it unhelpful to follow the weather forecast. If they said it was one thing, it was more likely to be the other.

To be fair with the kind of weather we've been getting this summer and at a lot of times last year the rainfall and the like would be incredibly localised. The figures for rainfall last month had the wettest and one of the driest places both in Mayo for example. I remember the start of last year travelling up and back to Dublin when in Dundalk it had been calm for a few weeks and some of the rivers were overflowing. A month or two later it was raining non-stop in Dundalk yet those same rivers were way down.
    To be honest I just look at the satelites and see what amount of cloud is likely to come over during the day and it's about as accurate as any forecast I've come across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

I think that's all any of us want! I don't care if it's 9C or 19C as long as it's dry!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Just had a look at the 00Z ECM - it actually looks great from next Wednesday on, to the extent that if it verified it would bring some of the highest temps seen in August over this country for nearly a decade. Unfortunatly way too far out to be anyway confident about it at this remove but its probably our best shot to save what remains of this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Just had a look at the 00Z ECM - it actually looks great from next Wednesday on, to the extent that if it verified it would bring some of the highest temps seen in August over this country for nearly a decade. Unfortunatly way too far out to be anyway confident about it at this remove but its probably our best shot to save what remains of this season.

Unfortunately that phrase has been as common as the rain this summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 WHATS THE STORY

nope don't think so rain rain rain rain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Very often in a bad summer we often hear of prospect of good weather 5 days or more in advance it usually fell through. If rain was on the cards in the same period of time it would usually be correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

models are looking a bit more promising beyond 150hrs
    But its not very reliable. Will change quite fast I'm sure.

Today was nice in Dublin. Dry, warm and overcast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

cork has been the worst spot in the country regarding rain

12080818_0312.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭shooter57

Nabber wrote: »
    12080818_0312.gif

what does this mean ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Is we getting the Warm? and Dry?

Met E think so from Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Is we getting the Warm? and Dry?

Met E think so from Tuesday.

say them talking it up last night and the website does so also this morning - The outlook is for warmer weather to develop during the coming week and lasting through next weekend. There will be some rain but also warm sunshine at times bringing temperatures into the twenties.

Although this is the sequence i think normally occurs

-Fine weather on the way
    -Fine few days on the way
    -Fine day tomorrow
    -get a dry day ,followed by days of rain

but at least is cheers me up to hear there is the possibility of a fine spell!

The charts look better than they have in a while. But they are still at about t69. So it could still vanish. But it is looking good for better weather.

Haven't see this too often this summer.
    UKMO +96hrs

12080900_0500.gif

Recm2161.gifa dreadful week ahead but there may be hope in the third week of August as the Azores high builds, a long way off but I wouldn't be surprised to see summer arrive then as it's roughly 40 days after St Swithins.
    Wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

a dreadful week ahead but there may be hope in the third week of August as the Azores high builds, a long way off but I wouldn't be surprised to see summer arrive then as it's roughly 40 days after St Swithins.
    Wait and see.

It is looking the same as last year if it is true.

I don't want another horrible winter. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

a disasterous week ahead..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

While there is allot of rain forecast for this week the temperatures won't be depressed. They are forecasting at least normal or a degree or two up. MT Crainum mentioned fine weather with temps up to mid 20s after next weekend. While this August doesn't look fantastic it is shaping up to be the best of the 3 summer months.

same old story! it's looking like some seriously high temperatures in western Europe (not including Hibernia of course) this weekend.
    As usual the boundary is S Wales and S England. :mad:
    I bet it will hit the ton in Paree (38c)

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/brack4.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Very warm and good sunny spells in Cork now.

• Advertisement

It's looking good for those of us in the capital this weekend, ME are as cautious as ever and making no temperature predictions but I would expect a 25c at least in a southerly with good sunny spells in the lee of the Wickla Mountains - make the most of it as these mini heatwaves that we get in Ireland seldom coincide with a weekend.

FSXX00T_60.jpg

Advertisement