Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unwanted apps installed on my Samsung. Cant seem to delete them..

• 31-07-2012 1:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭

Hello there,

I recently installed a firmware update on my Samsung Galaxy Mini. Afterwards I was left with several apps including adverts.ie, daft.ie, cinema apps.

I have tried deleting these from my phone (by dragging them to the remove bin and by selecting edit and then attempting to delete) but have been unable to do so.

Anyone know how to get rid of them?

Thanks very much!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Eod100 wrote: »
    Hello there,

I recently installed a firmware update on my Samsung Galaxy Mini. Afterwards I was left with several apps including adverts.ie, daft.ie, cinema apps.

I have tried deleting these from my phone (by dragging them to the remove bin and by selecting edit and then attempting to delete) but have been unable to do so.

Anyone know how to get rid of them?

Thanks very much!

Root your phone and install a ROM or application that will allow you to uninstall them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

it sounds like you are removing the icon rather than the app?

go to settings > applications > manage applications > find the app > uninstall

the apps listed are not installed as system apps so can be uninstalled without root

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

subway wrote: »
    it sounds like you are removing the icon rather than the app?

go to settings > applications > manage applications > find the app > uninstall

the apps listed are not installed as system apps so can be uninstalled without root

Yeah I've tried that alright but none of the apps that I want to delete have the uninstall option for some reason..

draffodx wrote: »
    Root your phone and install a ROM or application that will allow you to uninstall them.

Might give this a try so, thanks.

How do I go about doing it?

strange, i had them on my s2 but could uninstall them.
    looks like they are system apps so you will need root like draffodx mentions.
    once you've rooted install titanium backup to remove them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

This sounds like a 3Ireland/Samsung update.

For some reason 3Ireland rolled out an update that didn't allow you to uninstall the apps. Read more about it here.

I don't think you've any other option but to root and use a third party app to freeze/uninstall the apps.

I second subway's suggestion of titanium backup. Great app!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

I stand corrected...

subway wrote: »
    strange, i had them on my s2 but could uninstall them.
    looks like they are system apps so you will need root like draffodx mentions.
    once you've rooted install titanium backup to remove them

Thanks I'll do a bit of googling and will give it a try!

This sounds like a 3Ireland/Samsung update.

For some reason 3Ireland rolled out an update that didn't allow you to uninstall the apps. Read more about it here.

I don't think you've any other option but to root and use a third party app to freeze/uninstall the apps.

I second subway's suggestion of titanium backup. Great app!

Thanks!

I'm with Meteor though (should have mentioned that). Maybe Samsung has a deal with these networks and the companies that make the apps or something..

Fairly annoying all the same!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Eod100 wrote: »
    Thanks!

I'm with Meteor though (should have mentioned that). Maybe Samsung has a deal with these networks and the companies that make the apps or something..

Fairly annoying all the same!

Meteor are responsible for the ROM and it's contents on the device so its a Meteor ROM with the apps installed as system apps thus removing the option to delete them. I had the same with my SGS II from Meteor, I just installed a different ROM using Odin.

• Advertisement

seems like the easiest way, but check into it first as i just googled for 10 seconds

http://theunlockr.com/2012/06/09/how-to-root-samsung-galaxy-mini/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Some launchers (like Apex) allow you to hide apps completely, if you don't mind switching launcher of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 em81

Hi guys, not sure if this is where I should ask but I have the samsung galaxy s3 and my email app says there's 4 new emails all the time. When I open the app I might have a couple of emails and I can open/reply etc... but when i close the app it still says I have 4 emails. I can't seem to delete the app as it came on the phone, and I've tried clearing the data on it but it didn't work. Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

My girlfriend had a Galaxy SII and every time she hit the home button it opened up the voice search. It was really annoying.
    It was a system app that couldn't be uninstalled (....with the default launcher)

The way around uninstalling these is to install Go Launcher. Click on the app in the app drawer and it will give you the option to uninstall. Let it do it's thing and then clear the defaults in Go Launcher (under settings-->applications) to allow you to turn back tot he default launcher if you wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

em81 wrote: »
    Hi guys, not sure if this is where I should ask but I have the samsung galaxy s3 and my email app says there's 4 new emails all the time. When I open the app I might have a couple of emails and I can open/reply etc... but when i close the app it still says I have 4 emails. I can't seem to delete the app as it came on the phone, and I've tried clearing the data on it but it didn't work. Any ideas?
    There should be an option in either the email settings or the launcher/system settings to allow you to turn off the number of emails notification.

Advertisement