Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apostrophes

• 31-07-2012 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭theholyghost

I know nobody likes a grammar Nazi and you are not allowed to criticise someone in a thread for grammar etc. but the whole apostrophe thing is driving me mad.

Nobody seems to know how to use them and it is geting worse and worse.

One does NOT put an apostrophe after a singular word and before the S to make it a plural hence it is "boards.ie" NOT "board's.ie".

This particular problem seems to be spreading like wildfire accross the internet. Boards seems to be the worst.

There is even some joker on another forum complaining about the quality of "CV's" being sent to them. Are you really one to judge?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Apostrophe's*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Board's.ie......covering the real issues of the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

kfallon wrote: »
    Board's.ie......covering the real issues of the day!
    Issue's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

completely agree - its a terrible state of affair's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Well said OP

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

What about this - when should people be using that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

shedweller wrote: »
    Issue's

I's's'ue's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Semicolons are brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Bollock's's'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Was interested for a minute, the I realised it said apostrophes and not apostles'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

One does NOT put an apostrophe after a singular word and before the S to make it a plural hence it is "boards.ie" NOT "board's.ie".

...Ok, I think I got it now, thank's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

I wanna know how to use a comma properly, please!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Has anybody actually read Eats Shoots & Leaves?

I'm not even joking can we please do a class on commas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

yea, exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

What pisses me off is when someone writes "did'nt" or do'nt" - what letter are they trying to substitute?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'm not even joking can we please do a class on commas?

Wouldn't be getting myself optimistic there now. :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I see what you did they're.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I've a question.

If 's denotes ownership (Jimmy's fridge) then is it true, as I heard recently, that it's can only be used to abbreviate it is or can you, as I believe, use it like this: the cat's tail - it's tail - the tail of it?

Wouldn't be getting myself optimistic there now. :pac:

I just throw them around sentences willy nilly.
    My work emails must be awful but I do try hard.

Siuin wrote: »
    What pisses me off is when someone writes "did'nt" or do'nt" - what letter are they trying to substitute?!

Did knot?
    Do knot?

Gbear wrote: »
    I've a question.

If 's denotes ownership (Jimmy's fridge) then is it true, as I heard recently, that it's can only be used to abbreviate it is or can you, as I believe, use it like this: the cat's tail - it's tail - the tail of it?

No, you can't. It is possessive in most cases, but not with "it". It's always = it is.

edit: EXCEPT WHEN IT MEANS 'IT HAS' OR SOMETHING SIMILAR
    :D

Siuin wrote: »

Can the OP tell me if it's okay to abbreviate it is to "it's" and that is to "that's"?

Any tips on the use, of , commas?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I know nobody likes a grammar Nazi ...
    It is deeply offensive to describe anyone as a Nazi and the casual offensive name-calling on boards.ie is something I have asked the mods in AH to look at (their request). Terms like "Nazi", "retard", "dick", "alco", "junkie" fly around like suff at a wake.

As you mentioned the term in the first post in the thread I hereby award you today's Godwin with oak leaves and clusters.
    ... and you are not allowed to criticise someone in a thread for grammar etc. but the whole apostrophe thing is driving me mad.

Nobody seems to know how to use them and it is geting worse and worse...
    No will deflect me from my crusade to stop the waste of perfectly good apostrophes by misplacing them. Their price has already doubled this year on European Punctuation Markets.

I know how to use them correctly, I am an expert, and will continue to help others in their struggle with this most important and scarce punctuation resource.

boards.ie is certainly among the worst but not just for apostrophes; the standard of written English is abysmal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

There is even some joker on another forum complaining about the quality of "CV's" being sent to them. Are you really one to judge?

There's a legitimate argument as to whether apostrophes ought to be an acceptable way to indicate plurality when using initialisms; some say that it should be, others say no. It's not quite as clear cut as board's.ie:eek:

Can the OP tell me if it's okay to abbreviate it is to "it's" and that is to "that's"?

Any tips on the use, of , commas?!

here you go

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/commas.htm

bluewolf wrote: »
    here you go

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/commas.htm[/QUOTE]

My afternoon just got booked solid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

Good post OP. The one I hate most is when someone uses an apostrophe in the third person, eg. "he see's it daily"

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

Don't get me started on loose instead of lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

I wanna know how to use a comma properly, please!?

The standard one or the Oxford one? :eek:

And is bollock's's really two so its really balls or ball's, now I am confused

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

where vs were
    should of vs should have
    there vs their, they're and vice versa
    gotten vs got
    !!!! vs .
    ..... vs .

and so on ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I honestly couldn't give two fuck's.

bluewolf wrote: »
    No, you can't. It is possessive in most cases, but not with "it". It's always = it is.

Then how do you denote possession with "it"? "Its"?
    There's no logical reasoning behind it that I can see. Whether you use "its" or "it's" to denote possession, context makes it obvious that you're neither referring to the plural of "it" or to "it is".

Either way, the english language is an absolute load of self-contradictory, inconsistent bollocks. It has to be to be useful to so many different cultures.

Give me French or Spanish every day. Once you get beyond the nonsense of applying genders to tables it's really not so bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

: & ; <
    what's the point of colons?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

is it nazis or Nazi's, also should N(n)azi always start with a capital N? Or is that alway's, ..............

: & ; <
    what's the point of colons?

Digestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I know nobody likes a grammar Nazi

Your right they're.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The correct term is "up in the air comma thingamy", not apostrophe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Diapason wrote: »
    Digestion.

Ah, I see said the blindman :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

One that annoys me more is people not knowing the difference between 'then' and 'than'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Gbear wrote: »
    Give me French or Spanish every day. Once you get beyond the nonsense of applying genders to tables it's really not so bad.

But the gender thing throws up conundrums all of it's own - for example, would the Spanish equivalent of Boards be Las Boards or Los Boards?

And who decides if Boards is male or female?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

mike65 wrote: »
    Has anybody actually read Eats Shoots & Leaves?
    No, but I've read Eats, Shoots & Leaves.

Ah, I see said the blindman :confused:

Colon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

The one that does my head in the most is using "then" instead of "than".

Eg: I'm taller then you.

No no, you're taller THAN me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Diapason wrote: »

...and then there's semi-Colin, or limp-dick as he's normally known.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

I do'nt know whats' going on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

First world problems.

Can, we, also, please, discuss, the, use, of ; ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement