Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apostrophes

2»

Comments

Gbear wrote: »
    Then how do you denote possession with "it"? "Its"?

yep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Dean09 wrote: »
    The one that does my head in the most is using "then" instead of "than".

Eg: I'm taller then you.

No no, you're taller THAN me.

It's clearly a short way of saying,

"I'm taller, then you're the next tallerer."

It'd look weird if I was to write,

"I'm tallest, then you're the next taller."

Your problem is you're short though. Shorties always have a complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

It'd look weird if I was to write,

If I were... :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Diapason wrote: »
    If I were...

Or "am," even. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

bluewolf wrote: »

I feel like I am 7 years old and back in primary school all over again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

I know nobody likes a grammar Nazi and you are not allowed to criticise someone in a thread for grammar etc. but the whole apostrophe thing is driving me mad.

Nobody seems to know how to use them and it is geting worse and worse.

One does NOT put an apostrophe after a singular word and before the S to make it a plural hence it is "boards.ie" NOT "board's.ie".

This particular problem seems to be spreading like wildfire accross the internet. Boards seems to be the worst.

There is even some joker on another forum complaining about the quality of "CV's" being sent to them. Are you really one to judge?

I'll be sure to watch my p's and q's around you OP........;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

.... .- .. .--- ..- ... - .-- .- ... - . -.. -.-- --- ..- .-. - .. -- . :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Teacher, where do question marks go!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Knew a lad who had arse cancer, he only has a semi-colon now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I know nobody likes a grammar Nazi and you are not allowed to criticise someone in a thread for grammar etc. but the whole apostrophe thing is driving me mad.

Nobody seems to know how to use them and it is geting worse and worse.

One does NOT put an apostrophe after a singular word and before the S to make it a plural hence it is "boards.ie" NOT "board's.ie".

This particular problem seems to be spreading like wildfire accross the internet. Boards seems to be the worst.

There is even some joker on another forum complaining about the quality of "CV's" being sent to them. Are you really one to judge?
    missing comma.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

It's always = it is.

No, not always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

It'll be standard orthography soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

No, you can't. It is possessive in most cases, but not with "it". It's always = it is.

It has. ;)
    e.g It's been raining all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭theholyghost

missing comma.

From my original post:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

: & ; <
    what's the point of colons?
    Very useful in some programming languages for assigning multiple values to an array or separating command parameters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Has anyone mentioned the complete absence of the plural possessive use of the apostrophe in common written communication?

E.G:
    [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]Singers' voices.
    The cousins' favourite uncle
    [/FONT].

That bugs me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

From my original post:

I think it's okay if somebody goes on about how annoying a certain grammar mistake/spelling is and then makes himself look completely stupid by making a mistake himself.
    Has anyone mentioned the complete absence of the plural possessive use of the apostrophe in common written communication?

E.G:
    [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]Singers' voices.
    [/FONT].

That bugs me.

Do you prefer cousins's, singers's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

E.G:
    Singers' voices.

That bugs me.
    my favourite apostrophe, that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

The use of the term 'grammar nazi's' makes me especially angry. I also wish that people knew the difference between:

1. Here or hear

2. Their, there or they're

3. excessive and incorrect use of apostrophes

4. quiet and quite

I certainly don't have perfect grammar but I do look something up if I'm unsure and I can apply the basics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭theholyghost

I think it's okay if somebody goes on about how annoying a certain grammar mistake/spelling is and then makes himself look completely stupid by making a mistake himself.

I was just making a general point about a phenomena of modern English usage. I purposely kept it general and avoided singling out an individual in case it would make them feel embarrased or bad about themselves. As I always say, "love the sinner, not the sin" but then again I'm a shocking nice bloke.

Jernal wrote: »
    It has. ;)
    e.g It's been raining all day.

Okay, you know what I meant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

phenomena

Do DOO be-do-do.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Angeles

mathepac wrote: »
    It is deeply offensive to describe anyone as a Nazi and the casual offensive name-calling on boards.ie is something I have asked the mods in AH to look at (their request). Terms like "Nazi", "retard", "dick", "alco", "junkie" fly around like suff at a wake.

The level of offense taken by these words is always in the eye of the beholder.
    Why exactly is being called a Grammar-Nazi deeply offensive to you?

"Oh darn you mister! You have pointed out my missing apostrophe! Hence forth, I must deeply insult you by calling you a Grammar Nazi which implies that you are fanatically dedicated to controlling or seeking control over the correcting of words.. HaaH Haaaa take that you heathen!!"

Doesn't seem so bad now, does it?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

mathepac wrote: »
    It is deeply offensive to describe anyone as a Nazi and the casual offensive name-calling on boards.ie is something I have asked the mods in AH to look at (their request). Terms like "Nazi", "retard", "dick", "alco", "junkie" fly around like suff at a wake.

As you mentioned the term in the first post in the thread I hereby award you today's Godwin with oak leaves and clusters.
    No will deflect me from my crusade to stop the waste of perfectly good apostrophes by misplacing them. Their price has already doubled this year on European Punctuation Markets.

I know how to use them correctly, I am an expert, and will continue to help others in their struggle with this most important and scarce punctuation resource.

boards.ie is certainly among the worst but not just for apostrophes; the standard of written English is abysmal.

Comma-splicing like a machine!

PK2008 wrote: »
    I'll be sure to watch my p's and q's around you OP........;)

Grammar is a drinking game now? :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

a phenomena

Dear Lord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

"I would of"

:(

Ms.M wrote: »
    "I would of"

:(

the your/you're thing is starting to bug me again lately

your stupid
    your wrong
    your dead

my stupid? my wrong? rarghhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,013 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

"Todays Special's" - as seen on a Dublin restaurant recently.

That amusement arcade on Westmoreland Street used to have this motto over their door - "It's not the cards your dealt but the way you play them".

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

the your/you're thing is starting to bug me again lately

your stupid
    your wrong
    your dead

my stupid? my wrong? rarghhh

Me too! Except it's the grammar error I'm most likely to make! :( I don't know why. Makes me so mad when I have to edit them out. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

CruelCoin wrote: »
    First world problems.

Can, we, also, please, discuss, the, use, of ; ?

Just replace all of your punctuation marks with exclamation marks!!!!!!!!

Everyone else does it!!!!!!!

Although some people terminate every sentence with a question mark?

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Just replace all of your punctuation marks with exclamation marks!!!!!!!!

Everyone else does it!!!!!!!

i'll terminate them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

i'll terminate them

You need lesson's!!!!!!!!!!?

Me: Are you going to the Grammar Olympics!!!!!!
    You: :confused:[totally like confused]
    Me: I'm entered in the punctuation contest?

See!!! Simples??

You need lesson's!!!!!!!!!!?

Me: Are you going to the Grammar Olympics!!!!!!
    You: :confused:[totally like confused]
    Me: I'm entered in the punctuation contest?

See!!! Simples??

there there, it'll all be ok
    the doctors will be here soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

"Todays Special's" - as seen on a Dublin restaurant recently.

Teehee :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I've a question.

If 's denotes ownership (Jimmy's fridge) then is it true, as I heard recently, that it's can only be used to abbreviate it is or can you, as I believe, use it like this: the cat's tail - it's tail - the tail of it?

That's not the case:

its is like his and her (a possessive pronoun). No apostrophe
    For example:
    John: His feet were sore. His foot was sore
    The dog: Its paws were sore . Its paw was sore

It's is a contraction of it is.
    The apostrophe has nothing to do with ownership/possession. It signifies the absent letter i

It is raining again. It's raining again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Then how do you denote possession with "it"? "Its"?
    There's no logical reasoning behind it that I can see. Whether you use "its" or "it's" to denote possession, context makes it obvious that you're neither referring to the plural of "it" or to "it is".

Either way, the english language is an absolute load of self-contradictory, inconsistent bollocks. It has to be to be useful to so many different cultures.

Give me French or Spanish every day. Once you get beyond the nonsense of applying genders to tables it's really not so bad.

But then instead of a nice little apostrophe you have to use "the X of the Y". In French anyway, I don't speak any Spanish. It makes sentences really long - "my friend's sister's party" becomes "la soirée de la soeur de ma copine" which is a pain to say often.

The "its" thing is explained above and isn't that hard. Context often makes stuff obvious - "I was their last Saturday" clearly means, from context, that they were in a certain place last Saturday. It's still wrong! [Edit: it pains me to read the part in inverted commas, and to know that I posted it.]

I less than three the apostrophe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Australians? You know, to convey the upward inflection?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I know nobody likes a grammar punctuation Nazi and you are not allowed to criticise someone in a thread for grammar punctuation etc., but the whole apostrophe thing is driving me mad.

Nobody seems to know how to use them and it is geting getting worse and worse.

One does NOT put an apostrophe after a singular word and before the S to make it a plural, hence it is "boards.ie" NOT "board's.ie".

This particular problem seems to be spreading like wildfire accross across the internet. Boards seems to be the worst.

There is even some joker on another forum complaining about the quality of "CV's" being sent to them him. Are you Is he really one to judge?

FYP. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I less than three the apostrophe.

" i < 3d' " Sorry but you can't have inequalities with complex or imaginary numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

That's not the case:

its is like his and her (a possessive pronoun).
    Mine/yours/its/his/hers/ours/theirs/yours are possessive pronouns.

My/your/its/his/her/our/their/your are possessive adjectives.

Advertisement